Various Settings Lost on Reboot

Booting, installing, newbie
floborg

Various Settings Lost on Reboot

#1 Post by floborg »

There are a few things that get reset everytime I reboot Puppy 3.01:

1. NumLock (on keyboard)

2. Xorg video displacement (I used xvidtune to shift my screen to the left and saved the settings)

3. The CD level in the Puppy audio mixer (I have to mute it to avoid a buzzing noise when the mouse is moved)

I'd like to know about any "standard" methods to fix these problems before tinkering with the various settings files.

floborg

#2 Post by floborg »

Any ideas?

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

1. We turn off your Num Lock at any and every chance we get. Why not? Makes sense!

Search forum for xsetnumlock if you want to take control of the situation.

2. Adjust your monitor with the monitor controls

3. Set sound levels with cli program alsamixer. Open rxvt, then alsamixer, navigate and adjust with arrow keys, escape key to quit.

floborg

#4 Post by floborg »

Bruce B wrote:1. We turn off your Num Lock at any and every chance we get. Why not? Makes sense!

Search forum for xsetnumlock if you want to take control of the situation.
So no existing file or setting can be modified? Seems strange since numlock is on until X is started.
2. Adjust your monitor with the monitor controls
What's the point of xvidtune? It modifies one of the config files, but the setting isn't used. Plus, I'd like to avoid having to shift back and forth when switching between Puppy and Win98.
3. Set sound levels with cli program alsamixer. Open rxvt, then alsamixer, navigate and adjust with arrow keys, escape key to quit.
Setting is not remembered. It doesn't matter if it's changed with alsamixer or Puppy mixer.

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

To me this is sort of like going full circle.

1) I gave you a fix for the complaint with the Num Lock key. In giving you the fix, I do not claime or suggest it's the only fix. I do however think you will find it the fastest and easiest fix.

2) I made a suggestion regarding your video settings in absence of any input on your part that booting between different OSes (and different drivers) was even part of the equation, let alone the problem. My suggestion was strictly Puppy related and I offer no defense or apology for any advice given in the absence of key information.

3) If alsamixer won't save the CD volume settings, you can try editing the CD volume settings with a text editor in the file /etc/asound.state - if the settings still get changed after reboot, then some troubleshooting is in order.

tombh

#6 Post by tombh »

Does this help with problem (2)?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=21

I'm thinking you may not have got xvidtune to output the new modeline for you to paste into xorg.conf?

floborg

#7 Post by floborg »

tombh wrote:Does this help with problem (2)?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... stcount=21

I'm thinking you may not have got xvidtune to output the new modeline for you to paste into xorg.conf?
I didn't append my xorg file manually. I used xvidtune through the Puppy Xorg wizard. It added that modeline to the Modes section and not the Monitor section as suggested in your link.