Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 01:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Puppy on older laptops: how feasible?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
bigk101

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep 2005, 18:54    Post subject:  Puppy on older laptops: how feasible?  

I don't Know if This is the proper place for this topic but here goes !...
I have looked at the various topics and cant find a lot about older laptops and using them once again perhaps as a terminal or client . The reason is that most of the laptops I find or that come my way have very small drives and even smaller amounts of ram .I am now working on a junker
with about 8MB of ram and has a corrupted hdd and what seems like a bios with a bad flash . I don't think I will look for a solution that requires a cdrom to install a few files that will get a terminal up with a modem connection .Here is the problem ,and believe me I don't mean to use this site as a personal fix-all for all laptop problems . I thank everyone for your time and knowledge ,and for sharing this forum .I found a COMPAQ
Concerto in distress and decided to have a go at it. The Toshiba drive is 340 MB .It says so on the drive inside ,However the bios claims this is a 38 MB drive and refuses to fdisk and format anything else.I can start the comp and it works perfectly . The lcd screen lights but produces no text.
So I can use it very well with a crt and I'm happy . There is a rockwell modem ,a serial port modem on com2 ,with no cdrom ,I would like to install a modest Puppy with tcpip and perhaps a text browser all from floppy as I have no way to setup networking except serial cables or parrallel port. I need to get cfdisk or linux fdisk and a small kernel all on one floppy or perhaps copy a small image to the 38MB partition to further investigate this units possibilities. PUP001 and CRAMFS files I don't feel will suceed as the size is too great.Please , can you advise a proposal
for this relic, It's really in great shape
raffy

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep 2005, 19:16    Post subject: try freesco  

freesco (freesco.org) was discussed in this forum and in IRC. you can try it.
MU

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep 2005, 19:19    Post subject:  

i would suggest

http://www.toms.net/rb/

http://mulinux.sunsite.dk/

Other than puppy, they are optimized for textmode-usage.

"Grafical" menue using ncurses, "Links" as webbrowser.

Mark
bigk101

PostPosted: Sun 18 Sep 2005, 00:17    Post subject: laptops  

Thanks for taking the time and helping me ! I will try other apps. or os's
but what I really want to do is get this box up on Puppy . I know it needs more than 38MB disk space but I'm wondering If there is a really tiny version of puppy that someone has created that could be on a floppy ...
something like syslinux to boot and ask for disk2 , that would then have a small kernel from puppy that could be used to set up the modem and format the drive . With no cdrom and only 640 base mem and 07168K extended memory, Is it possible to do such things, I mean create a ramdisk that contains cfdisk and networking to link to a larger Puppy at boot time .also there is no network card only a modem port and serial port
and parallel port.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: