What is best distro for compiling?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: What is best distro for compiling?

#16 Post by BarryK »

alainb wrote: - last choice : keep your development tools for one more year, and then make the BIG step to gcc 4.x
yes, my thinking too.
Vector (and Slackware) are also holding back, so another argument in favour of vector.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#17 Post by JohnMurga »

Hey
Isn't 4.3 an old version?
Well that depends, they have the following as their lineup on the home page :
  • Vector Linux 4.3 Deluxe (9/20/04)
    SOHO Edition 5.0.1 (02/21/05)
    Vector Linux 1.8 Standard
Whith VL 5 Standard Beta 2 in testing I assume (on account of the fact it is a Beta) ... So I really don't know what's what ...

Cheers
JohnM

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#18 Post by Lobster »

It is the version GuestToo was using. It is stable. I was wary of downloading the latest, unless some sort of decision is made as to what to use.

My feeling is (I do not know how feasible or viable this is) that a Developer Puppy with the required C compiling be created.

As JJDM (Judge John Dredd Murga) - aka "the administrator" has done so well at placing a Perl in the Puppy, perhaps this task might be delegated to him - if he accepts challanges [wikid Lobsterian smile]

Is that a worthwhile aim - I fully appreciate a kernel compiler using an existing distro is also a requirement. The fact that you and GuestToo like Vector is good enough for me. I tend to make gut based judgements. I have no need for a Puppy compiler as yet as I am not yet ready to compile or look at C code programs.

8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D