f-prot virus checker version too old?

Booting, installing, newbie
Trev

f-prot virus checker version too old?

#1 Post by Trev »

Hi maybe some one can answer this query
I have been running Puppy 1.0.4 for a little while and am still experimenting with it.
However as I have it installed in its own partition on my linux only system. I decided it would be prudent to install the virus checker for safety.
So I used Xfprot to access the site to down load F-prot. (the link is not correct by the way ) anyway I got the program down and installed in the correct directory as suggested. I got it running oK However when I went to get the signature updates it could not access the site (404 error) I then checked the F-prot site and found that they are now on ver 4.61.
My question is, will version 4.16 be compatible with Puppy 1.0.4 or does it have to be modified first. ??? My thoughts are, that because if the f-prot version from the Puppy site is old, this may be the reason why I cannot update the sig files (I came accross this once in Win98).
I welcome any comments on this subject .
many thanks in advance
Trev

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: f-prot query

#2 Post by Flash »

Trev wrote:...I used Xfprot to access the site to down load F-prot. (the link is not correct by the way.)...
What is the correct URL, and where did you find the wrong one? Is it in this forum?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

i have "f-prot installer/updater program" somewhere in my to-do list

the latest updates are here

i think the latest program is here

the updater that comes with f-prot is a perl program
most of what updater does could be done in a bash script ... i was wondering what kind of checksums those are

i don't know if they would like a program downloading their files directly from their website

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

:oops: I have never really understood what F-Prot (or its remnants on the menu) is doing in Puppy? Is it a rescue utility for those poor souls using that regularily infected Redmond OS?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Trev

Re: f-prot query

#5 Post by Trev »

Flash wrote:
Trev wrote:...I used Xfprot to access the site to down load F-prot. (the link is not correct by the way.)...
What is the correct URL, and where did you find the wrong one? Is it in this forum?
Hi, I accessed it from the Puppy installation some how I think from Setup/Get package extensions link (not quitw sure now)

Trev

#6 Post by Trev »

Hi GuestToo
Thanks for your reply
there were a number of files at that link for the program and the one I down loaded was fp-linux-ws-4.6.1.tar.gz and it went into my-applications folder..
However as a newbie I am not sure how to handle this now.

Also with the link to the latest updates. This seem to open a text file full of characters. What does one do with that ??

Any comments would be very welcome
Many thanks
Trev

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#7 Post by GuestToo »

someone needs to write a program to update f-prot
the f-prot program comes with a downloader, but it's written in perl now ... it won't work with the stripped down Unleashed perl package

the update page has the address of the download page, and lists of files with checksums ... this would be used by an updater program

i'm not sure if they would be happy or not, if someone wrote a program to download f-prot updates from them

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

There are two on-line virus scanners on this page I started in pre-Puppy days
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Freeware:Utilities

(the connection is rather slow at the moment . . .)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D