cpufreq-patch

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
MU

cpufreq-patch

#1 Post by MU »

Hi,

today I compiled my first kernel, but it seems not correctly.

I tried to add the cpufreq-patch:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/k ... ufreq.html

If anyone with more experience in baking kernels gets it working, it would be great to add it to the standard-puppykernel.
So you could slow down your CPU-Speed on Notebooks (save Power) or cool down the CPU when it overheats.

I will do some more testing off course.

Mark

#2 Post by Guest »

Try the cpu-freg mailing list mentioned on the web page. What exact patch are you using ? is it the correct one for the puppy kernel ?
What errors are you getting ?

pakt

Re: cpufreq-patch

#3 Post by pakt »

MU wrote: If anyone with more experience in baking kernels gets it working, it would be great to add it to the standard-puppykernel.
So you could slow down your CPU-Speed on Notebooks (save Power) or cool down the CPU when it overheats.
It would be great if you could get power-saving working in Puppy :)

MU

#4 Post by MU »

meanwhile I stopped experimenting, as I found a way to slow down Doom via its config-files.

But of course, this is no proper solution.

So maybe I will try to continue. If I don't success with Kernel 2.4, I will try Kernel 2.6, that already includes cpufreq.

Anyway after reading the documentation closer, I fear that my Intel Celeron is not supported :roll:
Will try it out with knoppix.

Mark

pakt

#5 Post by pakt »

MU wrote: Anyway after reading the documentation closer, I fear that my Intel Celeron is not supported :roll:
Will try it out with knoppix.
I have an Intel Pentium M 725 (Dothan) in my laptop. That should be supported, so if you need a tester... ;)

MU

#6 Post by MU »

I had/have so many other things to do, I do not pursue this.

But as my Computer started overheating also with smaller programs, I used "brute force".

I breaked away the metal that covers the fan to access it. And well, I could pull out nearly the amount of a cigarette of dust...

Now it runs fine, I can play Doom with OpenGL (jdoom) in higher resolutions :D

Mark