1.0.5 - special requests

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
JohnMurga
Site Admin

#16 Post by JohnMurga »

Hey
BarryK wrote:I think John Murga knows all about them and their merits or lack of.
I did do some research on this a while back ...

I got SableVM, GCJ and Blackdown running on Puppy ...

There are a couple of things to be clear on :
  • The Sun and Blackdown VMs are the only ones that'll give you a working java plug-in for use with Opera/Mozilla.
    As much as all the VM's I tried supported GUI's (Swing/AWT) these two are also the only two with 100% support.

GCJ is widely considered the better "other" JVM and is being used as the "free" Java VM for OpenOffice 2.
    I think there may have been some work around a browser plug-in for this too.

Blackdown is freely distributable, but not "free" as it contains some Sun stuff.
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html
The only VM that really gave me all I needed (other than Sun), was Blackdown although it was very big. GCJ came close, and is pretty cool in that it can produce standalone executables, it was very fast and has moved on since I tried it ... It is also currently very actively developed.

SableVM is a little like jamvm (which has been mentioned), however it is a lot faster and has a full-but-small JDK package ... The problem is that it currently relies on a slightly outdated version of the GNU Classpath libraries (July).

My opinion is that the best thing would be to re-build the GCC environment for the usr_devx.sfs and include "java" support... This would include the full GCJ (which is part of the GCC suite) and would give people a pretty good Java environment to play with.

Now ... For those absolutely DESPERATE to have a really tight little Java environment there is EweVM (http://ewesoft.com/), this'll give you nice small apps with a small footprint ... But is not really Java :-)

Cheers
JohnM

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#17 Post by JohnMurga »

Back on topic ...

"galculator" is nicer than any of the calculators currently in Puppy

And it is nice and small ;-)

Cheers
JohnM

Waikiki Websurfer

Wireless modules in Puppy (repost to this thread)

#18 Post by Waikiki Websurfer »

Aloha Everyone,

I posted this with a new topic, but on second thought decided that perhaps responding to this thread would be more appropriate, so I'm reposting my message/query here;

Basically, what I was curious about was whether there would be any possibility of seeing ng-wlan-linux and ndiswrapper linux wireless modules in Puppy's kernel in any of the upcoming releases, either in the standard release or perhaps in a separate/additional laptop/wireless optimized release? Obviously, these two modules would add support to a wide variety of wireless cards currently not supported by Puppy.

The reason I'm asking is because it seems to me that Puppy is one of the best distros to use on a laptop for fast wireless connectivity (i.e., how quickly do you get online from the moment you power on your laptop with a HD-install distro), but my Prism chipset based wireless card is only supported by the ng-wlan-linux drivers (my card is Airvast wm168b internal USB, inside Averatec 3150P model laptop) or by the Window$ drivers by ndiswrapper (worse option, and has not worked with other distros).

I would love to see a Puppy that is targeted for laptop/notebook/etc connectivity.

Also, with linux OS cell phones containing 802.11 b/g connectivity (Such as Motorola's and Nokia's upcoming phones) scheduled for 2006 release, it might be possible to hack puppy into the add-on flashrom cards....

What do you think?

Cheers!