SurfPup 3.00 (65 MB) built on Dingo

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Todd

SurfPup 3.00 (65 MB) built on Dingo

#1 Post by Todd »

SurfPup 3.00 built on Dingo can be downloaded at http://www.surfpup.info/.

Todd
Last edited by Todd on Tue 30 Sep 2008, 15:47, edited 4 times in total.

ttuuxxx

Re: SurfPup 2.00 (74 MB) built on Fat Free 3.01

#2 Post by ttuuxxx »

Todd wrote:SurfPup is ready. It comes with Firefox, NetSurf and Dillo; any surfboard you want. It comes with a stark blue background and a auto-hiding task-bar. It is built on Fat Free 3.01. You can download at http://www.surfpup.info/.

Todd
Hey Todd

Just wondering any screen shots?? 600x600 max or it will be a download link, grrrr
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Todd

#3 Post by Todd »

Well, I messed up on my first ISO; the programs were installed but the menu didn't reflect that they were there. I have uploaded a second ISO with this fixed.

Todd

Dpup

SurfPup 2.00

#4 Post by Dpup »

Todd:

Works great on several of my desktop PC's.

It would be really nice if there was a simple way to get it to work with the popular ASUS Eee. Pupeee beta 4 has the required drivers and works well, is based on Puppy 3.01. Curious if there is any simple way of getting the drivers copied to work on SurfPup 2.

Todd

#5 Post by Todd »

I checked out the Pupeee zdrv_301.sfs file. The zdrv file contains all of the drivers. The Pupeee zdrv is exactly the same as the SurfPup one. If I remember correctly, 3.01 was built to run on the eee.

Sincerely,

Todd Richardson

Dpup

SurfPup 2.00

#6 Post by Dpup »

Todd:

Thanks for the quick response, I tried the zdrv_301.sfs file from the Pupeee b4 and it did not work in SurfPup 2.00-r1. However I noticed that the Pupeee download site posted the ASUS Eee drivers as pups, so I downloaded them and installed in SurfPup 2.00 r1 and it does work and I am now able to connect using SurfPup 2.00 r1 with the Eee to my WPA2 TKIP wireless router.

Will try it on your base release next. The very small footprint of SurfPup does make it a great option for the tiny ASUS Eee type of ultra sub compact notebooks.

Dpup

Todd

#7 Post by Todd »

I downloaded from Pupeee the files I think you are talking obout. I placed them in my archive. If I were to install them and then re-master would SurfPup be eeepc ready?

Sincerely,

Todd

Dpup

SurfPup 2.00 ASUS Eee

#8 Post by Dpup »

Todd:

I think it would be closer, but recommend more testing by others using the Eee PC. I only tested the connection of wifi to WPA, WPA2 TKIP, on a Eee 701 4G which has been a problem for many users. There are also tests needed for video, audio, webcam, function keys etc., reported to be operating in various Puppy variants.

Dpup

Todd

#9 Post by Todd »

I have uploaded a new SurfPup based on Dingo. It only has Firefox. It is also a lot smaller, weighing in at 65 megabytes. The backgrounds are nicer as well.

Todd

Dpup

SurfPup 3.00

#10 Post by Dpup »

Todd:

Installed SurfPup 3.00 desktop PC, USB boot, very nice and easy. I did make a couple of small changes that you may want to check out.

1) Updated the Network Wizard to the release of Sep 25th. Now when rebooted the network auto reconnects quickly to my WPA2 TKIP wireless router.

2) Installed Flash 9 support, the You Tube video and audio now works great.

Total boot time from power on to auto :lol: connected WPA2 wireless is under 30 seconds. The new Network Wizard connects much faster.

Will do more testing today. Keep up the great work !!!

Dpup

Todd

#11 Post by Todd »

Dpup:

You may think me the fool, but where did you find the newer network wizard. . .ibiblio?

I installed the bitstream fonts, but didn't like the way it renders them. Any ideas?

Todd

Dpup

SurfPup 3.00

#12 Post by Dpup »

Todd:

The new network wizard in the forum Improved Network Wizard (and rc.network) on page 19, made into a pet by MU and posted a few days ago on Sat 27 Sep.

It is a remarkable, very fast piece of work in a long series of updates by Dougal, and is now in Puppy 4.1rc. It has fixed a number of problems including auto reconnect on boot.

regards,

Dpup

Todd

#13 Post by Todd »

Thank you so much! I will put it in.

Todd

jakfish

#14 Post by jakfish »

Hi, Todd,

I'm always glad to see puppy distros support the EEE :)

One thing: any puppy distro up to puppy 4.0 will lack the proper sound drivers for the EEE 900. 4.1, however, Alpha and beyond brings sound via Alsamixer to the 900.

I don't know if the Alsa/900 driver is available as a separate pet.

Jake

Mic67

#15 Post by Mic67 »

"I'm always glad to see puppy distros support the EEE"

Any puppy for any PC is a good thing.

That said These sub-PC's are a false economy....period.

They are way over priced.

I fail to understand their popularity at their price....the popularity may be Jenny Craig based.......because you can get a full pc for the same or less price......

Mic 67

Todd

#16 Post by Todd »

Any puppy for any PC is a good thing.

That said These sub-PC's are a false economy....period.

They are way over priced.
I have an Acer Aspire One. It cost me $329.00. For as bad as the US economy is doing, I feel it was neither over nor under priced. Sure, I could have gotten more if I had paid more. For about $499 I can get a standard low end laptop. However, I buy my music irather than burn it and am good with Linux so don't need a CD/DVD drive nor Windows. I feel I saved, not because the Aspire One is economically priced, but because I only bought what I use.

Todd