pnethood - samba share mounter

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
mawebb88

No shares

#226 Post by mawebb88 »

disciple wrote:So it doesn't get lost - a thread about being able to see a computer but not its shares.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47802
I have had the same phenomenon several times. Last time was when I did a fresh fugal install of 430. I could not crack it (on 2 different machines). I got around it by upgrading my rock steady 412 save file to 430 and then I got my shares back. I tried everything before this I could think of (disabling Puppy firewall etc) but not joy until I did the save file upgrade which I was trying to avoid preferring to start fresh.

Rgds Mike

BTW I still have failed to mount my shares (on a LANdisk) from the command line. I know I have the right mount stuff as if I mount a share with pnethood first then disconnect I can re-mount wih the command line. But without doing pnethood first no jioy. I have tried doing nbtscan first (which works in that it finds the server) but still cannot wake-up the samba shares from the mount command.

disciple

#227 Post by disciple »

You might just need to do a `modprobe cifs` first.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mawebb88

Modprobe cifs

#228 Post by mawebb88 »

disciple wrote:You might just need to do a `modprobe cifs` first.
Tried that but still no joy mounting samba shares from command line. Thanks in any case.

Rgds Mike

Ixolotl

"No Shares" found on Popcorn A110

#229 Post by Ixolotl »

I have a eeepc 701 that I use to download files onto a networked Popcorn A110, and used Pnethood under both 4.20 and 4.30 with no problems. That is, until this weekend, when it stopped working on the Puppy 4.30 installed on an internally mounted USB stick. Running 4.20 from another USB stick, everything is fine, running the same 4.30 distro on another PC, everything is fine.

I've tried manually mounting the Samba shares, but the results are the same, the correct folders are created under /mnt but do not contain the share folders and files that I can see from another PC. The Pnethood log has a whole load of gumph about init_iconv "attempts" and "not supported" and apparently the Popcorn does not report any shares. In case it was the version of Pnethood, I installed the latest release on the previous page of this thread, but exactly the same thing happens.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be really grateful as I'd just got it all set up perfectly and would like to avoid reinstalling from scratch. Thanks in advance for your help, I'm a complete newbie at Linux, but this is the first problem I haven't been able to solve by diligent searching!

mawebb88

Loss of shares

#230 Post by mawebb88 »

@Ixolotl

Sorry no idea! Best of luck.

Rgds Mike

disciple

#231 Post by disciple »

It might help if you post the actual content of the log, and any terminal output... but that is really weird that it used to work but doesn't anymore... the only things I would suggest are things to clean up your save file, e.g. booting with pfix=fsck

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Ixolotl

#232 Post by Ixolotl »

Cheers guys, the Pnethood "tail" log is as below-

init_iconv: Attempting to replace with conversion from ASCII to ASCII
init_iconv: Conversion from CP850 to UTF-16BE not supported
init_iconv: Attempting to replace with conversion from ASCII to UTF-16BE
init_iconv: Conversion from UTF8 to CP850 not supported
init_iconv: Attempting to replace with conversion from ASCII to ASCII
init_iconv: Conversion from UTF-16BE to CP850 not supported
init_iconv: Attempting to replace with conversion from UTF-16BE to ASCII
POPCORN still reports no shares, checking mount in case there are shares mounted already
Trying to contact POPCORN, no shares reported
finished probing

-----------

I spent half an hour trying to work out how to set pfix to fsck in 4.30, without the options on the 4.20 boot screen, and gave up. If it isn't something simple or stupid I think I'll go back to 4.20. Shame, as 4.30 looks and feels nicer, but if it don't work (for the simple-minded).........

Ixolotl

#233 Post by Ixolotl »

*ahem* :oops:

After re-reading this thread I found a workaround, suggested by vtpup, namely opening a console and typing pnethood followed by the static IP address of the Popcorn media server. Strangely, editing etc/opt/samba/lmhosts only made the probing part last about 60 seconds, and still report no available shares. I really don't understand! :(

Perhaps even more oddly, when I installed PuppLinux 4.20 on another memory stick, Pnethood didn't work, the same as in 4.30. At least I have a kind-of-solution, but if anyone can work out how to fix it, please let me know!

Ixolotl

#234 Post by Ixolotl »

Okay, I thought I was quite good at searching before posting, but it turns out I could have sorted the whole thing myself! Well, sort of... :roll:

Just in case it's useful to someone else, I made a file containing the pnethood 192.168.1.73 commandline, made it executable, dragged the resulting file onto the desktop as a shortcut, and changed the icon to the Pnethood one. This way I can click on the fake Pnethood icon, and it opens up with the IP address instead of the name of the Popcorn samba share.

As I said, hope this helps someone, apologies for wasting anyone's time! :oops:

vtpup

#235 Post by vtpup »

Ixolotl wrote:*ahem* :oops:

After re-reading this thread I found a workaround, suggested by vtpup, namely opening a console and typing pnethood followed by the static IP address of the Popcorn media server. Strangely, editing etc/opt/samba/lmhosts only made the probing part last about 60 seconds, and still report no available shares. I really don't understand! :(

Perhaps even more oddly, when I installed PuppLinux 4.20 on another memory stick, Pnethood didn't work, the same as in 4.30. At least I have a kind-of-solution, but if anyone can work out how to fix it, please let me know!
Hi Ixolotl, sorry I missed your posts, or I would have tried to help. You are probably referring to this, above:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=183

I'm surprised the lmhosts entry didn't help. But I was using 4.1.2, so maybe there is some difference in Pnethood itself. The other possibility I suppose is that /opt/etc/ might not be the place for lmhosts for your Samba system. Or things may have been temporarily different (did you try after a re-boot?) and it failed for some firewall or authentication reason rather than failing to resolve the server address.

I wish HarryWill was still here to work on pnethood.

Personally I've started to rely more on ftp (gftp) and Unison via ssh for file transfers, rather than Samba. But it would be nice to get pnethood consistent.

ps. I like your solution, and I don't think you wasted anyone's time. Rather, you posted a solution others may find useful.

disciple

#236 Post by disciple »

Not sure if anyone's posted it here, but I've found that I need to enter a username (can be anything) to mount shares with cifs on 4.31, which I didn't need on 4.1.1. Other people have reported this elsewhere, although I'm not sure if it is just on 4.3.x or not.
And trying to use it without cifs crashes it... maybe puppy is missing something.
And in some circumstances (not sure exactly what) it seems to keep scanning forever unless I run killall nbtscan, after which it comes up nicely showing all the shares... I'll have to try to look into these things when I have a chance.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#237 Post by Béèm »

I use root as userid.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

clarf

#238 Post by clarf »

Hi,

I´m using Pnethood 0.65, it works fine with local machine users/passwords.

But anybody knows how to add a domain ID credential?. I can access share resources in Domain machines from Windows using,

Code: Select all

user: domain\domain_user
password: anything
If I use "domain\domain_user" Pnethood don´t understand the "\" character and I can´t access the share resource form a specific domain machine...

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

clarf

lucb

#239 Post by lucb »

maybe try user: domain_user@domain

clarf

#240 Post by clarf »

lucb wrote:maybe try user: domain_user@domain
Thanks for reply lucb, I tried your suggestion "domain_user@domain", but it doesn´t work. No shared resources found.

clarf

disciple

#241 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:I've found that I need to enter a username (can be anything) to mount shares with cifs on 4.31, which I didn't need on 4.1.1. Other people have reported this elsewhere, although I'm not sure if it is just on 4.3.x or not.
Aha, Shinobar has a fix, and Barry has an updated package... somewhere http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01295

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#242 Post by disciple »

clarf, I'm not certain how your domain shares work. Do they show up in Pnethood somehow, and you just can't mount them? What if you put in your domain username and password and press the rescan button?
I think the answer is that they don't show up at all, but I'm not sure...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

lion833

#243 Post by lion833 »

lucb wrote:maybe try user: domain_user@domain
thanks, it works. :lol: :lol:

disciple

#244 Post by disciple »

So presumably this doesn't apply in your case lion833. Is that right?
clarf wrote: I can´t access the share resource form a specific domain machine...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

clarf

#245 Post by clarf »

disciple wrote:clarf, I'm not certain how your domain shares work. Do they show up in Pnethood somehow, and you just can't mount them?

disciple thanks for reply, All network machines are shown by Pnethood, when I click some machine its shares are not shown...
disciple wrote: What if you put in your domain username and password and press the rescan button?
I think the answer is that they don't show up at all, but I'm not sure...
I tried the refresh button using domain@user_domain and user_domain@domain, also tried rescan all Network, but nothing.

Form Windows I can use those share resources using a domain name. In Pnethood I have to create a locale machine user in the remote server and assign shares to that local user, but Domain ID credentials are not recognized by Pnethood. Does Pnethood is configured for domain authentication?. I found some info here about the needed samba configuration:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/configure- ... ntication/

I attach some pics for a better explanation.

clarf
Attachments
shares_1.jpg
Machine's shares are not shown, using some domain names combinations.
(34.74 KiB) Downloaded 2819 times
shares.jpg
Network machines are found by Pnethood
(33.4 KiB) Downloaded 2788 times