How Puppy 1.0.5rc fixed 'Cannot start X' after reboot bug

Please post any bugs you have found
Leon

How Puppy 1.0.5rc fixed 'Cannot start X' after reboot bug

#1 Post by Leon »

What a nice surprise!

This is a short description about the bug that I reported yesterday and confirmed Fox7777 report in his tread:
I have tried to install Puppy 1.0.5rc twice and each time end up with the same error. After I have set the screen resolution I started few programs form the desktop like Gxine, uXplore or Leafpad and after first reboot from CD with default boot option the boot process ended with following error message:

Sorry, cannot start X. File /usr/X11R6/bin/X missing. If X is supposed to be installed, probably Puppy was unable to mount usr_cram.fs on /usr.
Today I wanted to fix it following keenerd instructions:
Oh, I got this too. You did an option 2 hard drive install, right? The installer forgets to give you the /usr folder. There is just a symlink to /.usr_cram. So, either copy that file off of the CD, or boot puppy from the CD, and then copy /usr to /mnt/hd??/usr. Remember to delete the symlink first.
But Puppy fixed that for himself at his second reboot after yesterday installation.

Congratulations to Barry!

Leon

#2 Post by Leon »

This was not yet the end of the story. As in previous versions of Puppy since 1.0.4 I copied libfreetype.so.6.3.7 to /usr/lib, changed libfreetype symlinks and /etc/fonts/local.conf to improve display of screen fonts. When I tried to start Mozilla nothing happened. When rebooted Puppy failed to load X. Tried many times to reboot with no success.

I downloaded puppy-1.0.5rc-mozilla.iso one more time, erased boot CD and burned boot CD with BurnCDCC, this time with 'Read verify' option disabled. Deleted pup003 and booted from CD. Customized Puppy as in previous versions.

Since then rebooted many times with no problem at all.