Pet installer and Libs

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ttuuxxx

Pet installer and Libs

#1 Post by ttuuxxx »

Basically in a nutshell, I made a data base with over 2000 libs that I removed from the latest Slackware Distro, What I was wondering is that maybe it could be incorporated Into the pet manager when it does the Lib/dependencies checks? That would make life so much easier for everybody who doesn't know what or how to do this.
http://www.puppylinux.ca/ttuuxxx/Libs/ <---Libs location
Here is 1 readers review that was emailed to me today
I'll keep his/her name anonymous :) Thanks ttuuxxx

Dear Ttuuxxx,

Let me encourage you to continue on the path that you have started. And also please do not let other people change the course of what you want to do with your database. It is wonderful. Let me first describe my experience with puppy, before my questions and suggestions.

1) I install something.
2) find out that I have a missing library
3) go to slackware website and search by filename, which then tells me which package I need to download for that file and then I follow the instructions to install that slackware package in puppy.
4) and in the rare case, if slackware does not have it, I go to the debian website and I get it there, but in most cases slackware does the case fine.

Then let me proceed with my comments for you. I will give each one its own heading for organization:

comment 1: how does puppy interface with this database?
comment 1a: if it does so, would it have its own 'get' application. Damn it. I just don't have expertise in this. Yes... I am getting an idea now for comment 7.
comment 2: wouldn't it be nice if the petget install application would interface with this database when it does its dependency check? I have a better idea for comment 7.
comment 3: how would comment 2 be achieved and who would have the expertise (the author perhaps of petget?) to implement changes in the code of petget install application to do automatic downloads of required libraries not already present in puppy. Please see comment 7 for an alternative and a better idea.
comment 4: it is my opinion that the petget install application should be the preferred method of installing software in puppy. This being perhaps a (fact). Then this leaves primary importance to integrating petget with your database. This is my opinion. I am against manual installs. This is messy 1) because how do you remember you installed it? and 2) how do you uninstall the package? Do you agree with me?
comment 5: is their a difference between packages and files in your database?
comment 6: thanks again for the nice work :)
comment 7: why not have a sort of console command called ttuxxxdb, a simplified dependency install program. NOT AN APPLICATION INSTALLATION PROGRAM. Nor a modification of the pet installation process. The command would be simple and would not overun itself with features. Yes, this is my opinion and I stand by it.

so when you run 'ttuxxxdb programname' from the console, it will monitor and dynamically download all required packages for that program to run and make it then register them after it is all done downloading with the pet installation program.

So for every package that would be installed their would be for each and every one, an uninstallation link in petget and also one generic uninstall link for the all packages for the said program.

For example if php 5 was installed and 5 libraries were needed to satisfy successful running of the program, there would be an uninstall link for library 1,2,3,4,5 and an addition uninstall link for 1-5 cumalitive in the petget interface that is presently used by puppy.

Yes, this brings about the question: what if two programs use the same package? Well, 'ttuxxxdb' command would only keep track of libraries it installed. How it would detect if another program uses the same library. I do not know.

Ps. it doesn't have to have my name in it, but would be nice but i didn't do enough work for it :)
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

charnisingh

libs

#2 Post by charnisingh »

i download many libs from the refferd site but many does not work, as some of those which opens as afile, even if these are downloded some or how, there is an error message "... too short", your advice on the sbject will be most wellcome.

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

charnisingh.

your query is too general...ttuuxxx, or anyone else, would need more specifics. i.e. which particular library files, and what particular error messages?