What is minimum size of hard drive for Puppy install?

Booting, installing, newbie
shagpile

What is minimum size of hard drive for Puppy install?

#1 Post by shagpile »

What is the minimum size hard drive to install puppy to. This is without the CD at all.

I presume the minimum size is 64mb but I want to double check before I buy some nice quick hardware.

keenerd

#2 Post by keenerd »

That depends. Type 1 install or type 2 install? Do you have so much RAM that you don't need a swap file? Do you want to save data on the hard drive or on an external USB or network drive?

A type 2 install with swap fits comfortable on 1Gb (saving data on hard drive), and is tight on 512Mb (saving data externally). Type 1 can fit on much less, probably around 256Mb (pup001 on hard drive) would work fine.

You might be able to install to 64Mb, if you saved data externally and didn't use a swap.

Your milage may vary.

shagpile

#3 Post by shagpile »

ok, lets get specific.

How can I install onto a 128mb drive? Simply the easiest way?

shagpile

#4 Post by shagpile »

As for usage I plan on using it PURELY as a headless skype server

#5 Post by Guest »

Forgot to ask as well, is there nowhere I can just download a skinny puppy?

raffy

USB install

#6 Post by raffy »

That's similar to a USB install, but using DOS and the hard disk.

Here's a link to linld.com install. There is yet another way, but could not find it (forgot the name of the alternative file).

shagpile

#7 Post by shagpile »

Similar but now what I want. I want puppy on a seperate machine entirely. Although the tutorial looked good I wont have xp on the machine. I just want to conrol it via an xp machine.

The main problem is finding a way to boot puppy from a 128mb IDE drive.

#8 Post by Guest »

I am booting Puppy 1.0.5 from a 64MB IDE-CF drive (no hard drive, no floppy drive, and no CD drive). I use a USB drive to save user specific data (pup100). To set this up I formated the drive as a bootable Linux partition and installed the grub boot manager. I had to create an unleashed verion with the usr cram file inside the image file because I couldn't get Puppy to find the usr cram file on the boot drive otherwise (although I bet there's a way -- I'm a newbie). Once I had the image created, I copied it to the drive and set the grub menu.lst file to load it (initrd).

Previously I had also gotten the Barebones (1.0.4 I think) Puppy to boot using a similar setup but without having to build my own Unleashed version. The Barebones I downloaded already had the usr cram inside the image file. I didn't like this version because it used the Opera browser which has ads. If the browser version is not important to you, you could probably just download the Barebones version from the download site.

jcagle

#9 Post by jcagle »

Someone told me that on Opera 8.5 for WIndows they've decided to get rid of the ads. I haven't found out if this is true or not. And I don't know if they have the Linux version of 8.5 yet.

I just went to Opera's web site and confirmed it...The Opera web browser no longer has ads. :D

MU

#10 Post by MU »

rarsa

#11 Post by rarsa »

And it's true, no adds anymore.