Dragon Puppy

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
MU

#16 Post by MU »

wow, that screenshot looks fanatastic :!:
I only had a black&white version of the dragon before.
Will add the new one to Muppy008.

Congrats for the integration of Xfce and Puppy :-)

Mark

D1G1T

#17 Post by D1G1T »

Lobster wrote:
D1G1T wrote: About .sfs does they load into RAM after boot or just mount?
They run in RAM :)
Are you sure because when i copied for ex. oof.sfs to home and reboot. I have open office in puppy but at startup puppy dont say copying oof.sfs to RAM.

Today worked few hours on Dragon puppy.

I have done:
------------------

some menu cleanup

some useless files deleted Dragon puppy is now 107MB, but still working

added xpdf

changed boot screen

changed sound at startup

changed some icons

fixed emblems

So Dragon puppy 2 will be released soon. Maybe i codename it "Junior". :roll:

If you have ideas, found bugs. Post it. Thanks.

yim

#18 Post by yim »

really like dragonpup not bloated as some say, firefox works great, any idea how to get the xvesa wizard to work?

thanks again for dragonpup

cb88

#19 Post by cb88 »

About sfs files... pup_xxx.sfs may or may not load to ram depends on if you have enough.... normally 128 for a standard puppy older versions have be lower though

sfs addtions generally do not load to ram(most are too big....i have one that is in the 400mb range) but they are cached to ram....just like any other program...
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

ttuuxxx

looks nice

#20 Post by ttuuxxx »

I haven't tried dragon puppy because i've been too busy with Fire Hydrant, but what you are describing is a puppy fault in puppy 3.0, 3.1 when you remaster with "Dougal enhanced remaster" it basically kills xvesa wizard, and your stuck with the default over large display, alternatively Dragon puppy should be remastered from start using the "Remaster puppy universal cd" the drawback from using that one is that you have to manually move a few applications during the remaster or you loose your defaults like Firefox ad-ons and skins get erased, so you move the Mozilla folder, or pidgin loses the names, rooms etc, so you move the "purple" folder, and if your using icewm which this distro isn't, you have to move the "themes" folder or it reverts back to the default themes. hope this helps
also have you had any problems with Xfce , icewm always has bugs, like the start menu gets all out of order, then i edit the menu and get it looking right and change the theme or install an app and boom its all messed up again, or the pidgin taskbar icon gets clipped, I think future Fire Hydrant releases will be Xfce have fun ttuuxxx www.ttuuxxx.com

technowomble

#21 Post by technowomble »

I D/L'd Dragon Puppy last night and had a quick look at it, and it's looking good. I needed to manually select Xorg resolution, but that's a two-click job - and seems to be a Puppy thing with my Dell Latitude CPi laptop - and the background selector opens and works, but doesn't seem to ' take ', although the default wallpaper is cool! Other than that Dragon is the current candidate for ' Puppyfying ' my laptop as soon as I replace my defunct desktop.
I saw somewhere on the Puppy site that Gimp 2.4 is available in Slackware, any chance of it being in the next Dragon? ( My main use for the lappie will be reviewing digital photos and making a ' first cut '. )
One question, a few days ago I had to re-install SAM Linux on the laptop, so I tried a full install of Shard, which - as far as I can see - installed the base Puppy, then when I shut down, as well as asking where I wanted to place .pupsave it asked if I wanted to save the .sfs to HD as well. The resultant set-up did not boot! Actually it started, failed and offered to re-start but failed again at the same point. I suspect that I'm missing something obvious, I've several years experience of linux, but on the ' big distros ', Puppy makes you think a bit more!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#22 Post by Lobster »

I tried a full install of Shard
I run Shard from CD and only know about that. In fact I usually (as I am now) run the full Linux Tmxxine. Some people install to HD, any problems will be the same as if they installed Puppy NOP to HD and others will know far better why this occurs . . . :?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#23 Post by Béèm »

I installed it as frugal like I did for other Puppy versions.
Added Dragon-1 to the menu list likewise.
Dragon comes at a stop after displaying Search for Puppy files in computer disk drives.
A msg says: /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
And then there is the command prompt #
Commands like reboot poweroff aren't found.

What goes wrong here?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

bezeen

#24 Post by bezeen »

I tested Dragon on my mediaPC - the grey parts of the icons was too dark for the LCDtv and the projector ;(

and then i mounted my ntfsdrive - pmount started rox - blue on black was impossible to read (why does the mount programs start rox - not thunar?).

I'd also problem with the new ati 7.10 driver - i only get 1080p on my tv (1280x720 only in xorg.conf). I think its ati's drivers problem not xorg/puppy...

But I realy liked it on my surfPC - looked great - tnx for a goodlooking puppy

oldog1984

looks nice one problem

#25 Post by oldog1984 »

looks real nice i downloaded it today only thing is you don't have in networks LinNeighborhood samba client so i can get to my other computer thur the network but it does look VERY NICE THANK YOU :D :D :D :D

ttuuxxx

Re: looks nice one problem

#26 Post by ttuuxxx »

oldog1984 wrote:looks real nice i downloaded it today only thing is you don't have in networks LinNeighborhood samba client so i can get to my other computer thur the network but it does look VERY NICE THANK YOU :D :D :D :D
install this http://www.puppylinux.ca/pet2/linneighb ... atched.pet
then it will ask you to install samba and click yes, then everything should work fine :) I have the same problems with my 4 Fire Hydrant release right now , www.ttuuxxx.com

oldog1984

#27 Post by oldog1984 »

ttuuxxx thank you for all your help still working learning . i am just a slow learner.lol :P :P

D1G1T

New release of Dragon Puppy

#28 Post by D1G1T »

Dragon puppy 2 - codename "Junior"

Ok I have finished some modifications on Dragon puppy. As I mentioned before. I have done some clean up added pdf reader. Iso size is now 108 MB Many work to do. Still working on that stupid xvesa script. Maybe in next release wil be fixed.

Bonus:

Added new wallpaper. I hope you will like it.

Added startup sound. So when your Dragon puppy boot every in 10m circle will know.

I have done some work on boot so its now faster.

Fixed emblems and some file asociations.

Screenshot:

Have to go to work again.

I will download .iso today at evening. Good bye guys. At next release. I think about your ideas. Give some more inspiration.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#29 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:I installed it as frugal like I did for other Puppy versions.
Added Dragon-1 to the menu list likewise.
Dragon comes at a stop after displaying Search for Puppy files in computer disk drives.
A msg says: /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
And then there is the command prompt #
Commands like reboot poweroff aren't found.

What goes wrong here?
Ok sorted it out.
See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 200#154200
Beware, long thread.
Time savers:

oldog1984

#30 Post by oldog1984 »

not able to download dragon puppy junior tried it 2 times didnt work any help..thanks maybe a utorrent?

Béèm

Re: New release of Dragon Puppy

#31 Post by Béèm »

D1G1T wrote:Dragon puppy 2 - codename "Junior"

Ok I have finished some modifications on Dragon puppy. As I mentioned before. I have done some clean up added pdf reader. Iso size is now 108 MB Many work to do. Still working on that stupid xvesa script. Maybe in next release wil be fixed.

Bonus:
Added new wallpaper. I hope you will like it.

Added startup sound. So when your Dragon puppy boot every in 10m circle will know.

I have done some work on boot so its now faster.

Fixed emblems and some file asociations.

Have to go to work again.

I will download .iso today at evening. Good bye guys. At next release. I think about your ideas. Give some more inspiration.
Can you please resize you screen shots to 800x600.
Time savers:

Béèm

#32 Post by Béèm »

oldog1984 wrote:not able to download dragon puppy junior tried it 2 times didnt work any help..thanks maybe a utorrent?
No problem with the link in the first post.
Just select download in the top line menu and follow.
I am downloading right now.
Time savers:

oldog1984

#33 Post by oldog1984 »

tryed to download again 70% done then it said it was done can someone make a torrent for this it would help i have better luck with them. any help will be good. thanks guys.

cb88

#34 Post by cb88 »

how are you downloading? you know wget can resume don't you? ..utorrent are you running windows? transmission is the torrent app in puppy...

if you are running windows google free download manager.... it is now open source and supports torrents and regular downloads...
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

TNTtrev

#35 Post by TNTtrev »

Downloaded Dragon Puppy 1 - Started up fine, worked nicely. The only thing that I really noticed was that the Xvesa wizard didn't work. I have to run in Xvesa due to the fact that if I run in Xorg it gives me a block instead of a pointer for my mouse. Is there a way to change this in Xorg or make the Xvesa wizard run in Dragon? I like the fact that it already has the four programs I use the most built in: Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin, and Gimp.

Downloaded Dragon Puppy 2 - Niiice. Cleaned up but still retains the functionality of the original Dragon Puppy. The only bad part is now this one doesn't even have a Xvesa wizard. This begs the question: is there a way to fix the mouse pointer in Xorg mode?

I forgot to throw in that I do the video-wizard on the command line, it tells me that permission denied. Is there a way to fix this?