ROX - My Simple xterm Problems (I think?)

Using applications, configuring, problems
ozboomer

ROX - My Simple xterm Problems (I think?)

#1 Post by ozboomer »

Another couple of (seemingly) trivial questions that I can't get my head around. I've looked through the forum with no joy:

1. I have a file called /root/.Xdefaults that defines some different foreground and background colours for rxvt sessions. If I run 'rxvt' from any of the Puppy menus or if I have an xterm open and run rxvt on the command line, a new rxvt window is opened and my colour changes are reflected in there. However, if I right-click > Xterm in ROX, the colour changes are not used. I have an entry in /etc/profile that says something like 'export ENV="/root/.rxvtrc"' but there's no reference to colours, etc in that file. What else do I need to define??

2. I have a Rox-app installed from a DotPup and it's placed an icon on the ROX pinboard. How can I get the program to start when X starts? Putting 'exec ...' command in /root/.xinitrc doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm just going through a pup001 rebuild in preparation for 1.0.5 and I can't get that terminal thing to work and it's bugging me like heck! ...and the Rox-app thing is just something new I'm trying.

Thanks for any forthcoming suggestions.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

exec beaver &

in .xinitrc should work (of course placed before exec $CURRENTWM is executed).

Some application rely on that X completely started.

So you could use

sleep 5 && exec beaver &

If it fails for any reason, put it in /usr/X11R6/bin/xwin , though this is not the recommended way.

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

1) somewhere in Rox options, you can define what the Xterm Here program is ... it's probably set to xterm ... that is, rxvt is running under the name xterm ... try setting it to rxvt -sl 32000

you can also setup shortcut keys for rox ... i usually set ` (the key left of the 1 key) to open an rxvt window

2) you can run a roxapp from the command line by typing rox /root/my-roxapps/Dillo or whatever the path and name of the roxapp is ... you should not need to run it as a background process by adding a & character to the end of the line ... do not use exec ... exec runs a program and never comes back, so anything after the exec is never executed

there's a patched version of bash that treats roxapps as executable files ... for example, if you had a roxapp called aterm in your PATH, and you typed aterm, bash would find and run the aterm roxapp

ozboomer

#4 Post by ozboomer »

Yup, works a treat, Fanx! The item to change is found in Rox via Options > Menus > 'Xterm here' program.

The roxapp vizo works fine in .xinitrc as well.

P'raps we can include these notes into the wiki somewhere. Do we have a 'configuration' section of a FAQ somewhere in the wiki?

Oh... and BTW... I know we have Rox2 available as a DotPup I think.. Other than perhaps the size of the application, is there any reason why we're not using it in the new releases of Puppy? I know the file formats are different but has someone developed a 'conversion' program, so we can use our existing v1 globicons, etc with Rox2?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

the newer versions of rox use gtk2, so probably use a little more resources ... probably would not be important unless you had really limited hardware

configuration is not a problem

the only real difference is the newer rox is maybe 200k bigger, and has extra icons, but mostly it needs the shared-mime-database, which is maybe 1.2 megs

the shared-mime-database could be rebuilt when Puppy first runs, so the space it takes in usr_cram.fs could be about 200k compressed

so the newer rox might take somewhere around 300k to 500k more space

i can make an Unleashed package so it could be easily added to a remastered Puppy

the latest stable version of rox is 2.3 ... i had trouble compiling it so i went with the 2.2 version , but i might try compiling it again

there might be problems if you upgrade a Puppy with rox 2.2.0 installed ... mostly, i think .xinitrc will be reinstalled and will have the rox -o option for the pinboard ... just edit .xinitrc and delete the -o option ... it might be better if the -o option were put in /usr/local/bin/rox instead of .xinitrc, then there would not be this problem

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

the rox 1.2.2 Unleashed package is 381k
the rox 2.2.0 dotpup is 642k
so putting rox 2.2.0 in Puppy would probably make usr_cram.fs about 260k larger