News, happenings
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PawedCast dotpup

#1 Post by GuestToo »

this is a PawedCast experiment

i uploaded Lobster's latest PawedCast to ourmedia.org

basically, this is archive.org

one advantage to using archive.org, is the files can be downloaded directly ... so they can be downloaded and played using a Puppy PawedCast program

i wrote a dotpup that downloads the PawedCast, checks the md5sum, puts it in my-documents/PawedCasts, and plays it using gxine

play it again by clicking the dotpup again
you can delete the ogg file in my-documents/PawedCasts whenever you like

if you use Lobster's DotPup Handler or the DotPup Handler 0.0.2, the dotpup won't ask you all those annoying questions each time

and also, it downloads using wget, so the download is resumable ... just click the dotpup again to resume the download

anyway, this is just a PawedCast experiment, this is the first thing i've uploaded to ourmedia.org (i signed up for an account a long time ago, because they are supposed to also host software, but they still have not got the software part setup yet)

this downloads a 555k ogg file
Attachments
pawedcast1.pup
Lobster's PawedCast Sep 20, 2005
(723 Bytes) Downloaded 555 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: PawedCast dotpup

#2 Post by Lobster »

You mean someone listens to them ramblings? Gosh . . .
I have signed up for an account www.archive.org - More than happy to store info there as they seem more long term. I seem to remember they are based in Chicago with at least one mirror. Just loads and loads of cheap PC's and HD's . . .

I am beginning to work out some things about podcasting . . .
If you wish to do a straight rant (no editing) you can use the inbuilt xs editor. Otherwise audacity is very powerful. Ogg vorbis is the standard I will use (wav is rather large and Mp3 is not as good in terms of quality)

The first thing I do is change to mono and 8000hz - if you are primarily using speech, stereo and high sampling just creates big downloads.
Later on I 'select all' and give it a bass boost (this gives my voice a richer tone)

Editing I have still not mastered and you will hear some strange 'jumps' in the pawedcast G2 has archived. This is where I kept calling 'wxbasic' xbasic and also xwbasic. Editing is quite skilled and time consuming - but I should improve . . .

At the moment I am concentrating on being reasonbly articulate but I sound like a drone. However I may improve given the right injections. It is a lot of fun and I am not using any special equipment. I am using a headphone mic (it came free with a cheap webcam) from Creative.

If anyone decides to have a go then I will be more than happy (and I am sure klhrevolutionist too our other pawedcaster) to offer my very limited experience - basically just jump in - start recording . . .

You can do a short intro on how you came to use Puppy.
How you would like to see it develop.
What you are using it for.

My feeling is that a lot of information can be passed in this format, so I am keen to develop it.

;)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D