Wireless modules in Puppy 1.0.5/1.0.6/+

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Waikiki Websurfer

Wireless modules in Puppy 1.0.5/1.0.6/+

#1 Post by Waikiki Websurfer »

Aloha Everyone,

Is there any possibility of seeing ng-wlan-linux and ndiswrapper linux wireless modules in Puppy's kernel in any of the upcoming releases, either in the standard release or perhaps in a separate/additional laptop/wireless optimized release?

The reason I'm asking is because it seems to me that Puppy is one of the best distros to use on a laptop for fast wireless connectivity (i.e., how quickly do you get online from the moment you power on your laptop with a HD-install distro), but my Prism chipset based wireless card is only supported by the ng-wlan-linux drivers (my card is Airvast wm168b internal USB, inside Averatec 3150P model laptop) or by the Window$ drivers by ndiswrapper (worse option, and has not worked with other distros).

I would love to see a Puppy that is targeted for laptop/notebook/etc connectivity.

Also, with linux OS cell phones containing 802.11 b/g connectivity (Such as Motorola's and Nokia's upcoming phones) scheduled for 2006 release, it might be possible to hack puppy into the add-on flashrom cards....

What do you think?

Cheers!

BlackAdder

#2 Post by BlackAdder »

No sign that anyone has successfully used ndiswrapper with the Airvast adapter, so look here:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2234
and be nice to tempestuous and you should get your first wish..

The ndiswrapper module is available in Puppy (modprobe ndiswrapper), and the wifi-beta-2 dot pup provides a number of adapter driver files, plus the ndiswrapper configuration utility. So with Perl - available as a pup-get - you could try ndiswrapper if you wanted to. But using the native drivers should be quicker and cleaner.

Cheers and woof.

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Waikiki Websurfer,
The Puppy wireless driver packages at http://mymirrors.homelinux.org/puppy/wireless/ include linux-wlan-ng.

I don't know specifically whether your Airvast WN168b will work, but there's a very good chance since my Prism2.5-based D-Link DWL-122 USB adaptor works perfectly with this driver.

I believe such driver packages should remain as separate "add-ons", since it's quite impractical to include drivers in Puppy for all hardware out there.
I have personally remastered my own version of Puppy with this driver plus many other "bits and pieces", and I would encourage you to do the same. Remastering instructions are on the forum.
... or just follow my instructions in the README file to automatically restore the linux-wlan-ng driver into the (standard) Puppy filesystem at each bootup.

It would be good if you could report your success or failure on the thread already mentioned - http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=2234

Waikiki Websurfer

Success (finally!)

#4 Post by Waikiki Websurfer »

Aloha!

Thanks Tempestuous and Blackadder for your advice, ans a special thanks to Tempestuous for compiling the drivers and posting/hosting the files.

I'm finally able to surf the web with the Airvast WN168b adapter using Tempestuous's compile of the linux-wlan-ng drivers with a Linux distro.
I'm posting this message while lounging on my lanai (hawai'ian balcony), enjoying a nice tradewind breeze, and admiring the city lights of Waikiki Beach.

Mahalo! (Thanks!)

P.S. I will post details to the thread you guys pointed to. This was actually not quite as easy a process as it could've been, so maybe I can in turn help others by posting a few details -- however, now as it is quite late here (2:20 AM), I need to quit the websurfing and get some sleep before hitting the beach at sunrise to do some real surfing...

Aloha! (Bye!)
:D