AMD K6-300: boot hangs @ "SCSI subsystem driver"

Booting, installing, newbie
Bruce B

#16 Post by Bruce B »

Sorry to see you guys are still having problems. I've not had problems booting Puppy from CD-ROM, on the other hand I rarely do it, even on updates.

Often I don't even burn a CD disc.

Here is a breif sketch of how I do it.

1) I copy files from the disc or .iso file:
  • a) I put image.gz and vmlinux where I want, usually in a subdirectory of C:\ (a FAT16 partition)
    b) I put usr_cram.fs in the same partition I plan to install the pupxxx file
2) I edit GRUBs menu.lst accordingly

----------------------------------------------------

It always goes well. But there is a catch, I use GRUB for DOS, it doesn't need to be installed, it is just a single file one can copy anywhere they want on any DOS partition. You have to have MS-DOS or Windows 9x installed to run GRUB for DOS off the hard disk. (There is a way to do it with XP, but I don't use NTFS or XP, so I can't tell you how).

Also, one needs to use the text editor and make a menu.lst file for GRUB.

So what's the catch? The idea of using GRUB for DOS hasn't caught on. I've given up trying to sell the idea.

#17 Post by Guest »

OK. This has become a moot issue for me though I apparently have a bit of a clue as to where the problem was and it's not the hard drive, in my case.
I had a problem with the CPU fan failing and things obviously got pretty hot. Anyway, I grabbed my, intended, dedicated audio box and threw in that 10 gig hard drive and Puppy boots just fine so there's an issue with either the MoBo, the CPU or the cd drives causing the hang after the SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00" remark.
I'll pick up another fan and try it again though I'll have to use an even smaller hard drive.

#18 Post by Guest »

daklander wrote:knewbee, yeah, it's a bummer 'cause BeatrIX is such a great looking distro. I'll keep trying and will post results if I have success. Please do the same.
I ran into new, additional problems last night. The cpu fan quit and I haven't had time to check if it's the fan or the board control.
:oops: What a lamebrain. Of course you all knew I meant Puppy, right???

daklander

#19 Post by daklander »

Really a lamebrain. I forgot to sign in.

DOH...

Might have found the problem

#20 Post by Guest »

Video card, I had the same problem & based on my windows experience, if there is a problem try video. Different card, boots right up.

Hope that helps someone.

Bill M