pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
zigbert

pBurn 4.3.19

#1 Post by zigbert »

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Changelog....Languages....Themes....Developer docs
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
......Image
Sigmund Berglund, 2020

Features
Data
  • Burn Data CD/DVD/Blu-ray (multi/single session) compatible with Linux, Mac, Windows, ...
  • Copy data CD/DVD/Blu-ray
Audio
  • Burn Audio CD from mp3, ogg, wma, wav ... (CD-text / CDDB)
  • Burn Audio CD from toc/cue file
  • Copy audio-CD
Video
  • Burn Video DVD/CD from avi, mov, mpg, wmv ...
  • Burn Video DVD/CD as a slideshow with images and background music
  • Burn Video DVD from video_ts filessytem
  • Copy video-DVD (decryption of encrypted discs)
  • Shrink double-layered video-DVD to single-layered disc
Images
  • Burn ISO-image
  • Burn NRG-image
  • Make ISO-image
  • Convert NRG-image to ISO-image
Misc
  • Blank/Erase RW disc - fast (only TOC) or complete
  • Inspect and edit Burn-command before it executes.
  • Import sessions from multisession disc.
  • Verify burnt data.
  • Import (play)list
  • Fixate disc
  • Check for c2errors....
  • Language support
  • Theme support
Download
Dependencies.......
  • R E Q U I R E D
  • coreutils
  • gtkdialog-0.8.4 (r514)
  • cdrtools-3
  • dvd+rwtools-7.0 - for DVD/Blu-ray
  • cddetect - for media detection. (Check that cddetect_quick is included - source here.)

O T H E R S
  • ffmpeg - for converting audio/video (TahrPup users, look here)
  • dvdauthor - for burning video-DVD
  • vobcopy - for copying video-DVD
  • vamps - for shrinking video-DVD
  • libcdio - for validating multisession (cd-info)
  • vcdimager - for burning Video-CD
  • nrgiso - for support of Nero images
  • pFilesearch - for file search
Extras
  • Fixate CD: [No extra dependencies]
  • Fixate DVD: close (10 kb) [Not in Puppy]
  • Verify disc quality: readcd [Puppy builtin]
Compiling hints
  • Buildscripts for Slackware (and probably others) here (thanks to big_bass)
  • cddetect
    If you have problems compiling cddetect or cddetect_quick, try to include a header. Add this to cddetect.c
    #include <limits.h>
  • close
    If you have to compile dvd+rw-tools-7.1 close.cpp, and it gives an error, you should add this line to transport.hxx
    #include <limits.h>
    and compile with:
    g++ -o close close.cpp
Bugs
Before reporting a bug, please read about

Known bugs
  • Speed setting doesn't work for wodim/cdrecord.
Potential pitfalls
  • Do keep in mind that 4.7GB are salesman's GB, i.e. 10003 and not 10243. If translated to "real" GB, single layer DVD+-R[W] capacity is no larger than 4.4GiB, and Blu-ray no larger than 23.3GiB!
  • If burning troubles with filesnames containing local characters (æøå), please start Pburn with the -f parameter. Open a terminal and execute command 'pburn -f'.
  • It is not recommended to run other heavy applications (or powersaving/screensavers) while burning, as this can cause buffer under-runs if your PC was not able to allocate enough time to processing the burn. You will then have a useless disc. Choosing a burn speed that is too high, or CPU-priority that is too low, could also cause buffer under-runs.
  • Not all older drives can "see" beyond the first session. Few DVD-ROM units are capable of DVD-R multiborder playback and even fewer support DVD+R multisessioning. In other words your burner might be the only unit in your vicinity that can access data in the different sessions.
  • RW media can sustain only around 1000 overwrites.
  • RW media is not playable in all players.
  • Audio CD's do not have a file system, so they cannot be mounted, just read.
  • If your system has an automounter, the automounter will detect a formatted disc and mount it. You can not write to a mounted disc, so you will need to unmount it.
  • If temporary storage are set on a Windows FAT partition, symlinks will not be stored. The Linux VFAT driver doesn't handle symlinks. Also FAT partitions doesn't allow filesize above 4Gb.
  • Pay close attention to the minimum and maximum writing speeds of your media, and compare them with the maximum writing speeds of your drive. Writing to media with a minimum speed setting higher than your drive is capable of will result in failure - for example, attempting to write to a 4x-10x CDRW on a drive with a maximum RW speed of 2x. This is most likely to be an issue when using new discs in an old system.

"zigberts pburn was the tipping point,
I just couldn't live without it!!!"
. ally
Last edited by zigbert on Tue 02 Jun 2020, 07:33, edited 342 times in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

zigbert, it's great that you have created Pburn!
I was testing Grafburn last week, and it needs work. Some aspects of it are very awkward.

Something most important. For writing files and directories to DVD, direct piping must be supported, not requiring an intermediate directory. This is due to the very large size of DVD storage. TkDVD is a tool that I have used regularly to backup, but in Dingo as I am constrained to GTK2 only, I have not found anything equivalent. I found TkDVD to be a very simple and useful tool, well worth looking at to get ideas.
Also very important, TkDVD shows the size as you choose files and directories, so you know when you have chosen too much.

Ok, I've just downloaded Pburn, will play with it!

plinej

#3 Post by plinej »

I agree with Barry, I used TkDVD all the time for backing up files/directories to dvd and thought of writing my own gtkdialog program for that purpose but haven't got around to it yet. This looks promising so thanks for creating it. I'll experiment with it very soon.

pdrito

#4 Post by pdrito »

zigbert,

I try your Pburn program and make a succecfully CD with 2 chapter of Eureka (sci-fi, serie). both with avi and srt files (video and subtitles).

The pet install the Pburn link in Multimedia automatically.
Then I configure the name of my CD/DVD drive on: File --->Preference [ /dev/cdrom default, to /dev/hdd on my PC]

Using the program:
In Burning mode I select Burn Data, because that is the kind of files I need to burn this time.
Browse to the directory/files that I want to burn ....right click on the mouse to add each files, and voilà, start to burn.

Really a great program here: easy, clear, no mistakes. Very intuitive. And only 17 KB, amazing !!!

Thanks a lot zigbert for this program
pdrito.

zigbert

#5 Post by zigbert »

BarryK and plinej
If I understood it right (my wife says I seldom do), growisofs works on-the-fly as long as you don,t make a iso first. Temporary storage is used by mkisofs. I,d tried to pipe mkisofs directly to cdrecord, but got too many underruns. It needs a rather big buffer, depending on your write speed. You either need much ram, or to slow down burning speed. Since Puppy already is in ram, and working on older machines, I didn't bother...But it is absolutely possible to do. If Pburn gets info about possible buffer size, it could check if burn-CD-on-fly is possible on given system. If it is, then set writing speed that matces buffer size. Now I'm glad it was you 2 guys that asked. I guess you could tell me how to get the size of available ram and swap.

pdrito
You got it :wink:

Sigmund

Dougal

#6 Post by Dougal »

TNT?? Do I smell 80's Metal??
Ahh, det som engang var...

Concerning what Barry and Jason said: what about linking? I seem to recall that you can create a "burn" directory and just link all the files/directories into it and (using the right flag) the links will be followed.

Something I missed in Grafburn was a "finalize cd" option.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

zigbert

#7 Post by zigbert »

Dougal

Code: Select all

What the H***. Do you speak norwegian :shock:
Something I missed in Grafburn was a "finalize cd" option.
when you uncheck 'multisession', - it closes disc.

Greetings from a HeavyRocker from the 80's, and a fresh DeathMetal fan. Beethoven and friends also sounds great...
Sigmund

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

This looks really great, and well thought-out. I'll give it a spin as soon as I can find the time in my busy Christmas shopping schedule. :)

May I make one suggestion? If burning an ISO image means burning a bootable CD or DVD, then why not say so? "Burn a bootable CD or DVD." is as plain and self-explanatory as you can get, whereas "Burn an ISO image" is geek-speak. What else can "Burn an ISO image" be used for, besides making a bootable CD or DVD?

Dougal

#9 Post by Dougal »

zigbert wrote:Dougal

Code: Select all

What the H***. Do you speak norwegian :shock:
not me...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

zigbert

#10 Post by zigbert »

:D You really surprise, Dougal. I haven't expected Burzum...So what's next....Lobster admit that this Buddha-image is just a fake. The fact is; he is headbanging to 'Hail to England' togheter with his flowers. - That's flower power. And suddenly I remember where I've seen MU before. His hair is a complete copy of Doro Pesch. And HairyWill, he's no Harry or Will. He has never told us, but he is the really hairy one.....Dee Snider.

plinej

#11 Post by plinej »

I used this to burn the puppy 4 alpha 2 iso and it did the job quite nicely. Pretty straight forward to use. What would be a nice feature is to add file/directory size to the "Files to burn" table. That way if you go over the capacity of the disc you'll know what to remove to make it fit without having to guess what to remove. Also TkDVD will show the free space of a dvd/cd after you add a file/directory. I know you have the "Chosen files:" box that adds up total MB's of the selection but maybe another box that will show available space left on media would be very nice. I haven't looked over the code at all but I noticed when I burned the iso and the box pops up which displays the cdrecord output, the lines where it shows the percentage were all truncated. All the other lines were readable so I'm not sure what the deal was there (maybe just a fluke). Overall though, I really appreciate your efforts. Nice job indeed.

plinej

#12 Post by plinej »

I just noticed one other thing too. When you right mouse click to add something the "Choosen files" box gets updated but if you click "Add selection" button the box doesn't get updated until you select something else.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#13 Post by BarryK »

zigbert, we have to give you some aknowledgment for the great apps you are developing. You have been steadily working away, identifying where something is needed, then developing it.
How are you off financially?
I think probably a high-profile web page on your contributions would be a good idea, plus a snapshot of yourself.

HairyWill

#14 Post by HairyWill »

zigbert wrote:And HairyWill, he's no Harry or Will. He has never told us, but he is the really hairy one.....Dee Snider.
Google hairywill and it pulls up my lastfm page ahead of puppy despite all the posts I've made here. That's the power of web 2, or should that be web 2.0? You will notice my name really is Will and that my hair seems to have slipped from my head to my chin.

I had to look Dee Snider up, I've had a sheltered life, I don't think I could carry off all that make up. :lol:

Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

magerlab

#15 Post by magerlab »

thank you, zigbert for a new nice programm
also itś great that you provide localization

2 Barry Kauler: Is it possible to add such approach to new scripts in puppy. To translate templates is easyier and faster than translating the script itself.
i wanted to ask for this on your new blog but i can not register there( still didn receive a letter with password)

zigbert

#16 Post by zigbert »

Flash
Burning an ISO does not mean to burn a bootable disc. And, you can burn a bootable disc without a iso-image.

plinej
I'll consider to show size of each item in the burnlist. The idea is good , but the add-procedure must not be too slow. To show space left on media you have to specify media type before starting to add. And then there are CDs with 650 mb, 700 mb, 800 mb, 900 mb. - I thought it was best that the user checked the media himself.

HairyWill
The image of you is rather dull, isn't it. Just a tiny makeup would have given us a fresh Will-impression :)

magerlab
You have requested localization a time now. If you have translated Pbackup or Pfind, it would be nice to distribute it togheter with the packages. Please share it, if you have it. Pburn is not ready for translation yet, but the main structure is made ready for it.

zigbert

#17 Post by zigbert »

Dear Barry
I'm flattered by your praise. I'm one of those simple guys who like to be liked. But I think we stop it right there. My financial situation is very stable. I work for money only half of the year, and that give me spare time to codelines, among other creative work.

There are others who deserve to be on that high-profiled web page. I'm thinking of those who have scanned the forum for 2 years and answered the same newbie question 'thousand' times, - and everytime, the same polite attitude. Gee; that impress me.

Talking about a pic, I have to quote a friend of mine: "Sigmund, you got a appearance that fits best on radio, and a voice that only a mother can love". Barry, MU, Lobster, Whodo, Nathan, zigbert ....... Ha ha, what a gang to promote. :D But ok Barry, if you donate a pic of yourself, I'll follow.

But I do have one wish. If there ever will be a world Puppy conference.............(I'll pay my ticket).

plinej

#18 Post by plinej »

Good point, I could live without the space left on media. Maybe though changing the MB output to GB when you reach the 1 GB point. It would be easier to read when burning to dvd.

raffy

kernel issue/ other (fun) issues

#19 Post by raffy »

Just butting in to mention the issue of kernel versions. It will be good of a burner to be able to move forward with the kernel version.

As an example, I find gcombust easy to use, but it can't work outside 2.13/2.16 (with kernel 2.6.18 (?)). Of course I intend to use Pburn in the future. :)

Other comments:
Google hairywill and it pulls up my lastfm page ahead of puppy despite all the posts I've made here. That's the power of web 2, or should that be web 2.0?
Ha ha, good for you - that your favorite site gets on top of a search. Search of mine shows my OLPC profile, not even my Puppy Linux wiki profile (I haven't been active in the OLPC wiki).
voice that only a mother can love
Lobster has a voice that everyone can love. :)
If there ever will be a world Puppy conference.............(I'll pay my ticket).
Now, that may just be possible. Read up here on what WSJ says about OLPC. Puppy Linux may just be the missing link for saving the AMD hardware in that project. IMHO, that AMD hardware is simply excellent. Puppy should fly in the LX700 (the current OLPC platform), as it runs well in the GX466 (abandoned by OLPC).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

disciple

#20 Post by disciple »

Nice gui. What's next Sigmund? A music file tag editor? :)
Does anybody know if copying a disc on the fly would be feasible?
-----------------
Edit - it seems it already does that, but only works if /dev/cdrom is not the same as your burner? Is that right?
----------------
Edit - that's not it. I'll be back in a while.