pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
mistfire

NRG File support

#1726 Post by mistfire »

Okay Sigmund Berglund i got it. Im now already erase my disc using Pburn. Does Pburn can burn NRG image to disc?

zigbert

Re: Source data lost using Pburn 3.4.1

#1727 Post by zigbert »

dougblackburn wrote:Configuration:
Wary Puppy 5.2.2 full hard drive installation
Micron Millenium 767mb ram, 733mgz Pentium III
20gb hard drive about 15% used

Problem description:
I had created a directory /dougstuff. This directory had many sub-directories and files. I opened Pburn and right clicked this directory to select it. Then I clicked on the burn drop down menu and selected to burn a data cd. When the next screen came up I clicked on the burn icon to start the burn. During what looked like a pre-burn process I changed my mind and hit the emergency stop. From previous experience I knew the actual burn had not started. The Pburn application re-displayed the selection screen. I de-selected /dougstuff. Then I quit Pburn. At this point I was going to zip /dougstuff, but it was gone. I couldn't find it with the zip application, using ROX, or using xterm. I used Photorec help restore /dougstuff. Then, I created another directory /dougtest and copied dougstuff to it. Now I had /dougstuff and /dougtest/dougstuff. Then I burned /dougtest/dougstuff (without hitting the emergency stop) successfully. Now I was ready to see if I could duplicate this problem. So, I selected /dougtest/dougstuff for burn and hit the emergency stop during the pre-burn process. But, Pburn did not send me back to the selection screen. It terminated. So, I opened Pburn from the puppy menu again. A dialogue box came up asking me if I wanted to clear temporary storage and start again. I replied yes. The selection screen was displayed. At this point, I checked to see if /dougstuff and dougtest/dougstuff were still available. They were still available. I had to hit the emergency stop about 4 times in order to get it to finally return to the selection screen instead of terminating. When it did return to the selection screen, I de-selected /dougtest/dougstuff. Then I checked to see if /dougtest/dougstuff was still available. To my surprise /dougtest/dougstuff was available, but /dougstuff was gone. So, I restored /dougstuff from /dougtest/dougstuff and tried the whole thing again selecting /dougtest/dougstuff to burn. This time it took me many emergency stops to finally get the application to return to the selection screen instead of terminating. I am still not sure at what point in the process the emergency stop has to be hit in order to return to the selection screen. Finally, when it returned to the selection screen, I de-selected /dougtest/dougstuff and /dougstuff was gone again.

Conclusion:
Source date is lost when the emergency stop returns the user to the selection screen. It is possible the source data was gone upon return to the selection screen or before. I always checked my source data after de-selection.

Doug
Hmmm, This is weird. The emergency stop is not meant to bring you back to the main window. What kind of filesystem are you using?

Sigmund

zigbert

#1728 Post by zigbert »

otropogo
If Pmount troubles with your drive, it seems to be a Puppy - or hardware related problem.

Sigmund

zigbert

Re: NRG File support

#1729 Post by zigbert »

mistfire wrote:Does Pburn can burn NRG image to disc?
No it does not, - I don't even know what a NRG-image is.

Sigmund

01micko

#1730 Post by 01micko »

NRG is the Nero proprietary format for a CD disk image. When I first learned what a disk image was I made a few of those.. thereafter they were useless to me! :lol:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Dougal

Re: NRG File support

#1731 Post by Dougal »

zigbert wrote:
mistfire wrote:Does Pburn can burn NRG image to disc?
No it does not, - I don't even know what a NRG-image is.
Nrg2Iso can be used for that. (This guy also has some useful utils for ISO burning.)
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

mistfire

Little modifications on pburn

#1732 Post by mistfire »

zigbert is it possible to integrate nrg2iso as optional add-on in pburn? If the user burn an NRG image on pburn, it converts to ISO first before burn it to Disc. This integration is good for the newbies in pburn.

By the way is it ok to you that you must change the Button label "Blank Disc" to "Erase Disc" to make it more understandable?

I suggest than pburn must be distributed in all-in-one package where its core dependencies are included in the packages if it is possible

zigbert

#1733 Post by zigbert »

Support of NRG should be doable with nrg2iso. (thank you Dougal)
Does there exist a compiled pet?
Can anyone point me to an (small!!!) NRG image? I need something to test with, and I have no access to neither Nero or Windows.

Dougal also lighted the way to support DAA, GBI and UIF (never heard of any of those :) ) .... if there is any interest ...

Sigmund

01micko

#1734 Post by 01micko »

Ok, so I compiled nrg2iso from some debian source + patches

source: http://packages.qa.debian.org/n/nrg2iso.html

I made an .nrg image of a slacko iso image in Windows.. it seemed to work ok, then I booted back into Puppy and converted it back from nrg to iso. It mounted ok, but I didn't burn as the md5 did not match the original. The iso size is about 150 bytes out.. smaller.. but I don't know why. BTW, this is not the standard slacko image, it has a little bit more compression than normal, wont work on slow machines, it is for the experiment. (111M)

So.. for the adventurous out there I am posting a slacko-5.3.3-SCSI-high-comp.nrg (PAE version)

checksum: c581c30dc8ab3126596a7c532f302661 slacko-5.3.3-SCSI-high-comp.nrg

Attached is the source code including binary in the package and a separate patches package.

Have fun!
Attachments
nrg2iso-0.4.tar.gz
the patched source and binary, should work on most pups, else easy to recompile
(11.25 KiB) Downloaded 649 times
nrg-patches.tar.gz
patches
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 648 times

Dougal

#1735 Post by Dougal »

01micko wrote:I made an .nrg image of a slacko iso image in Windows.. it seemed to work ok, then I booted back into Puppy and converted it back from nrg to iso. It mounted ok, but I didn't burn as the md5 did not match the original. The iso size is about 150 bytes out.. smaller.. but I don't know why.
Well... obviously it isn't the same md5 or size: just like a FLAC or ALAC version of the same audio sample will not be the same (though a more precise example would be a .pet and .deb based around the same tarball -- the bits added at the start/end are different).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

01micko

#1736 Post by 01micko »

Dougal.. I meant the image as .iso (checked original md5 in puppy), converted to .nrg in windows (md5 posted) and then back to .iso from .nrg (md5 was different to original iso md5 and iso size was some 150B smaller). So something is lost in the conversion to and from somewhere, maybe harmless, I'll burn it and post results.

EDIT: boots fine, runs fine, note that the md5s of the main sfs, vmlinuz and initrd.gz is the same so the 150B missing must be something other than the puppy files.

Dougal

#1737 Post by Dougal »

01micko wrote:Dougal.. I meant the image as .iso (checked original md5 in puppy), converted to .nrg in windows (md5 posted) and then back to .iso from .nrg (md5 was different to original iso md5 and iso size was some 150B smaller). So something is lost in the conversion to and from somewhere, maybe harmless, I'll burn it and post results.
It could be something like metadata... "written by app X on this date..." etc. (I presume iso-9960 has that).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

zigbert

#1738 Post by zigbert »

mistfire wrote:By the way is it ok to you that you must change the Button label "Blank Disc" to "Erase Disc" to make it more understandable?
I checked the most common burning apps for Linux, and this is what I found:

______ K3b ______________
Features listed in k3b.org
- Blanking of CDR-Ws.
- Good media detection and optional automatic CD-RW and DVD-RW blanking

'Erase' is not mentioned

______ Brasero ______________
- erase CD/DVD

'Blanking' is not mentioned

______ XfBurn ______________
- It can blank CD/DVD(-RW)s

'Erase' is not mentioned

______ Nero ______________
- Erase DVD

'Blanking' is not mentioned

zigbert

#1739 Post by zigbert »

Mick
Thank you for the NRG effort.
I will download and check it out.

zigbert

#1740 Post by zigbert »

Could this be a proper blank/erase solution?

Still only blank in the main window

Erase added to menu

zigbert

#1741 Post by zigbert »

Ok, here is a test release for those who wants to burn/convert NRG images.
Attachments
pburn-3.5.3.pet
(66.57 KiB) Downloaded 429 times

dougblackburn

Re: Source data lost using Pburn 3.4.1

#1742 Post by dougblackburn »

zigbert wrote:
dougblackburn wrote:Configuration:
Wary Puppy 5.2.2 full hard drive installation
Micron Millenium 767mb ram, 733mgz Pentium III
20gb hard drive about 15% used

Problem description:
I had created a directory /dougstuff. This directory had many sub-directories and files. I opened Pburn and right clicked this directory to select it. Then I clicked on the burn drop down menu and selected to burn a data cd. When the next screen came up I clicked on the burn icon to start the burn. During what looked like a pre-burn process I changed my mind and hit the emergency stop. From previous experience I knew the actual burn had not started. The Pburn application re-displayed the selection screen. I de-selected /dougstuff. Then I quit Pburn. At this point I was going to zip /dougstuff, but it was gone. I couldn't find it with the zip application, using ROX, or using xterm. I used Photorec help restore /dougstuff. Then, I created another directory /dougtest and copied dougstuff to it. Now I had /dougstuff and /dougtest/dougstuff. Then I burned /dougtest/dougstuff (without hitting the emergency stop) successfully. Now I was ready to see if I could duplicate this problem. So, I selected /dougtest/dougstuff for burn and hit the emergency stop during the pre-burn process. But, Pburn did not send me back to the selection screen. It terminated. So, I opened Pburn from the puppy menu again. A dialogue box came up asking me if I wanted to clear temporary storage and start again. I replied yes. The selection screen was displayed. At this point, I checked to see if /dougstuff and dougtest/dougstuff were still available. They were still available. I had to hit the emergency stop about 4 times in order to get it to finally return to the selection screen instead of terminating. When it did return to the selection screen, I de-selected /dougtest/dougstuff. Then I checked to see if /dougtest/dougstuff was still available. To my surprise /dougtest/dougstuff was available, but /dougstuff was gone. So, I restored /dougstuff from /dougtest/dougstuff and tried the whole thing again selecting /dougtest/dougstuff to burn. This time it took me many emergency stops to finally get the application to return to the selection screen instead of terminating. I am still not sure at what point in the process the emergency stop has to be hit in order to return to the selection screen. Finally, when it returned to the selection screen, I de-selected /dougtest/dougstuff and /dougstuff was gone again.

Conclusion:
Source date is lost when the emergency stop returns the user to the selection screen. It is possible the source data was gone upon return to the selection screen or before. I always checked my source data after de-selection.

Doug
Hmmm, This is weird. The emergency stop is not meant to bring you back to the main window. What kind of filesystem are you using?

Sigmund
The file system is ext3

zigbert

#1743 Post by zigbert »

dougblackburn
I am not enlightened.
Have added your bug-report to the todo-list.

Sigmund

zigbert

#1744 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.6.0
See main post

Changelog
- Optional support of NRG-image (nero format) if nrg2iso is installed. (thanks to 01micko)
- Optional tool: Convert NRG to ISO.
- Verify iso-image burnt mulitsession to CD.
- Move locales to /usr/share/locale/.
- Bugfix: Ask to blank disc if required when entering burn options (bug introduced in 3.5.0).
- Bugfix: Define Audio-CD correct in statusbar.
- NLS: Added: LOC_IMAGE, 137, 205, 356, 357
- NLS: Changed: LOC126, 306, 307, 322, 351
- NLS: Removed: LOC_ISO, 124
- DOC: Multisession: Now supports verifing (md5sum) of CD-R(W).

zigbert

#1745 Post by zigbert »

Be aware that version 3.6.0 introduce a new optional dependency - nrg2iso. 01micko has compiled it, and you will find a link to it from the main post....

....or here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 199#626199

Sigmund