pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
zigbert

#1861 Post by zigbert »

shinobar
I looked at the dvdauthor changelog, and could not see any specific changes in usage..... So I checked my Slacko 533: Yes dvdauthor-0.7.0 also here. Burnt a video-DVD without any problems.

???
Sigmund

zigbert

#1862 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.7.7
See main post

Changelog
- Bugfix: NLS: Wrong button-label in blank-disc-box.

otropogo

issues with iso verification, log saves

#1863 Post by otropogo »

I used 3.7.7 a few times today in lupu 528 and encountered some problems:

1. ISO burn verification. This is nothing new for me, but I thought I'd bring it up again. When I've finished the burn, I get the popup that invites me to verify the burn. Confusingly (for me, at least), the popup displays an md5sum that is NOT that of the iso being burned.

When I click on the verify button, I almost immediately get another popup that says that the disk may have to be ejected and reinserted before verification can take place.

I tried this several times, clicking the verify tab after each reinsertion, but the only result was the popup reappearing.

I've never had this problem with BurnIso2cd. Is there a trick to executing this function in pburn?

2. when verifying Cd quality, a text report is displayed, but no log option. I tried to select and copy the text, but the highlighting vanishes before I can click on the copy tab, and there's nothing to paste.

Can you suggest anything better than a screen save to preserve this report?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

shinobar

Re: burning dvd video fails on precise puppy

#1864 Post by shinobar »

zigbert wrote:shinobar
I looked at the dvdauthor changelog, and could not see any specific changes in usage..... So I checked my Slacko 533: Yes dvdauthor-0.7.0 also here. Burnt a video-DVD without any problems.
I confirmed slacko 533 has no problem but fails on precise 541, both with RAM mode.
We need to investigate more...
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

shinobar

Re: burning dvd video fails on precise puppy

#1865 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:
zigbert wrote:shinobar
I confirmed slacko 533 has no problem but fails on precise 541, both with RAM mode.
I copied /usr/bin/dvdauthor extracted from slacko 533 to precise 541 and got SUCCESS.
Maybe the dvdauthor in precise is somewhat broken.
/usr/bin/dvdauthor extracted from slacko 533 is 135kB large.
the dvdauthor in precise is only 54kB!

EDIT: The dvdauthor in precise is 154kB, whereas slacko 533 has 135kB.
Anyway i guess the dvdauthor in precise is somewhat broken.
Last edited by shinobar on Tue 13 Nov 2012, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.

otropogo

DVD-RW blank failures with Pburn 3.7.7

#1866 Post by otropogo »

PC - Toshiba Satellite A500 02F

burner- HL-DT-ST DVDRAM

disk 1. imation DVD-RW 4x with Mint12 KDE installed

disk 2. imation DVD-RW 4x with Mint12 Gnome installed

OS - lupu_528

Both of these disks were mounted without issue by pburn, and were readable.

Pburn 3.7.7 showed them partly full

1. I tried to blank the KDE disk with pburn, first using the quick erase function. It reported success, but the disk was unaffected.

2. I then tried the long erase function. That popped up an error message, but the log wouldn't save , popping up another error message instead.

There was also a popup that said :
The disk is not blank or writable
(I have a screen save if that would help)

The disk was again unaffected.

3. I then tried simply overwriting the disk with an ISO burn of lupupluslibre, which failed with the following message:
Pburn version 3.7.7

###################################################
COMMAND:

growisofs -use-the-force-luke=notray -Z /dev/sr0=/dev/zero

OUTPUT:
WARNING: /dev/sr0 already carries isofs!
About to execute 'builtin_dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/sr0: "Current Write Speed" is 4.1x1352KBps.
:-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=5h/CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT]: Wrong medium type
:-( media is not formatted or unsupported.
:-( write failed: Wrong medium type

4. I clicked on the disc info tab

And it showed the files on the disk. An interesting difference arose with this function and the second disk, for which the disk info window showed the words
blank disk
while also showing that less than 3.5GB of free space remainded.

The Puppy file manager showed exactly the same files on the second disk as on the first.

I then ran all of the above tests again with the second Mint12 DVD, with exactly the same results except for the disc info output above

I then tested integrity of the KDE disk, first, by

5. running its internal disk check, which reported:
Finished: no errors found
and then,

6. booting the disk to see that the KDE desktop mounted properly and appeared to work without problems.

After all of these tests, I booted Windows 7 on the same system, with the same drive, and blanked the KDE disk without issues in two minutes.

I then rebooted the same system with Knoppix 7.0.4, and blanked the Gnome disk without issues using K3b in 82 seconds.

I then rebooted lupu_528 and checked both disks again in pburn 3.7.7, and then both were shown as blank and rewritable DVDs.

Perhaps this issue is of no importance to the intended users of Pburn, but I think I've established that the problem is real, and that it originates in pburn itself, NOT in my PC, it's burner, or the rewritable DVDs I'm using.

Unfortunately, lupu-528 comes with no other utility for blanking DVDs.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

zigbert

#1867 Post by zigbert »

Perhaps this issue is of no importance to the intended users of Pburn, but I think I've established that the problem is real, and that it originates in pburn itself, NOT in my PC, it's burner, or the rewritable DVDs I'm using.
I wonder if things have become different if installing cdr-tools instead of the Puppy builtin cdr-kit. pBurn will prefer cdr-tool over cdr-kit. Cdr-kit has been default in Puppy for a long time, but hasn't been maintained lately. Last release is over 2 years old.

Sigmund

zigbert

#1868 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.7.8
See main post

Changelog
- Run ffmpeg pre-operations without opening xterm.
- Box_splash uses usleep (busybox), now set to sleep (bash). (thanks to bigbass)

backi

#1869 Post by backi »

HI !!!
Problems burning video dvd in Precise ..... as Shinobar reported .

zigbert

#1870 Post by zigbert »

backi
dvdauthor in Precise is broken.
Check out the service pack
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00042

Sigmund

charlie6

#1871 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Sigmund,
running 3.7.8 on uPup-Precise-54X4...
...got an error message at end of blank disc (option «complete blank») on a already written DVD-RW.
See hereunder.
Disk info on the resultant blanked disc reports "blank disc" anyway.
thanks for 3.7.8 and all others usefull apps !
Charlie
Attachments
capture26500.jpg
(36.61 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
capture24205.jpg
(11.68 KiB) Downloaded 637 times

zigbert

#1872 Post by zigbert »

Charlie
Did you get this message?

charlie6

#1873 Post by charlie6 »

Charlie
Did you get this message?
Yes!
there i have selected «Blank complete»

regards !

last edited:
no problem blanking a CD-RW;
attached the log from DVD-RW blanking

shinobar

dvdauthor on precise still broken

#1874 Post by shinobar »

The dvdauthor in the service_pack-5.4.1_TO_5.4.1.1_precise.pet is 111kB and it is still broken.
The only working dvdauthor is the one extracted from the slacko 533, which is 135kB large.
Or the PET:
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... 7-i486.pet

scabz

#1875 Post by scabz »

i compiled dvdauthor 0.7.1 in precise if anyone wants to test it for me cuzz i dont have any movies or vids to test it with nor the dvd's to burn to.

dvdauthor-0.7.1.pet download
dvdauthor_DOC-0.7.1.petdownload

Jades

Feature request

#1876 Post by Jades »

Feature Request
There needs to be a sanity check for the 'On-the-fly' option in Copy Data Disc to ensure that Input Device and Burner Device are not set to the same device - they both default to sr0 at the moment (on the systems I use) and therefore Pburn will be trying to read from a blank disc, throwing an error and aborting the operation if the options aren't set by the user.

I think you can guess how I encountered that issue... :oops:
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

zigbert

#1877 Post by zigbert »

Jades
I have only 1 drive, so will you please test this one before I upload it to the main post.

- I added a final check if burndrive and indrive is the same when burning on-the-fly. This is only true for copy data and copy audio.

- Indrive should now the by default be set to another drive than burner if exist.

Sigmund
Attachments
pburn-3.7.9.pet
(67.11 KiB) Downloaded 530 times

Jades

#1878 Post by Jades »

zigbert wrote:Jades
I have only 1 drive, so will you please test this one before I upload it to the main post.

- I added a final check if burndrive and indrive is the same when burning on-the-fly. This is only true for copy data and copy audio.
Tested on both Zhaan and Merlin, relevant specs are:-

Zhaan - AMD K6-2 500. Secondary Master (sr0) is Sony CRX-100E CD writer and Secondary Slave (sr1) is Hitachi GD-5000 DVD-ROM drive. Both ATAPI.

Merlin - Pentium D 3.4GHz. Primary Master (sr0) is LITE-ON SHM-165P6S DVD-RAM drive, Primary Slave (sr1) is a MSI DVD-ROM drive. Both are ATAPI. They're designated Primary because the SATA port the hard drive is connected to is classed as 'Tertiary' for some reason, and I don't have any PATA hard drives in there.

On both machines, the test version of Pburn 3.7.9 correctly spotted when Input Device and Burner Device were set to the same drive.
zigbert wrote:- Indrive should now the by default be set to another drive than burner if exist.
On both machines the Input Drive still defaulted to sr0. You could maybe have the option to set them on the screen which pops up when Pburn is first run, but to be honest I don't think that it would really be worth the effort. Automatic classification of optical drives in Puppy is generally flaky anyway. For the few people who do have multiple optical drives the sanity check will be enough to ensure that the error doesn't occur.

Thanks, once again, for Pburn. It came in very handy when I was copying the files from the old hard drive from Dad's unfortunate Macbook Pro to DVD. Put the drive in a nice Zalman ZM-VE300 enclosure and we found out I could mount it in Puppy [1], even on the K6-2 500 machine, but not on his new Macbook!

Notes:-

1. After installing hfsprogs and/or hfsutils and issuing some console commands.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

zigbert

#1879 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.7.9
See main post

Changelog
- Msg if burning on-the-fly, and read-drive and burn-drive is set to the same device. (thanks to Jades)
- Bugfix: Dependency check using xterm. --hold should be -hold. (thanks to bigbass)

Thank you Jades for testing
Sigmund

darkcity

#1880 Post by darkcity »

Hi Zigbert

Thanks again for this great. Just posting a couple of observations that may help others.

I've been burning DVD ISOs that I created with DVD Styler

1) Precise 5.4.1 with pburn 3.7.5 seems to be faster than slacko 5.3.1 with pburn 3.7.8. Don't know if this is due to different kernel or library versions.

2) Vertabim DVD-R speed x16 refuse to play on Sony DVD player - I get on error on the player saying 'disc is dirty'
Using TDK DVD+R speed x1-16 on the same equipment results in success.

Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory : 504MB (189MB used)
Drive : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B