pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
zigbert

#211 Post by zigbert »

disciple
I have cleaned up the output to terminal. I have to agree that it is useful to get rid of unnecessary output to give a more accurate troubleshooting.

The follow symlink is an advanced option, but users tend to have an idea of what this means, and I feel (for now) it's more logical to keep it in the filesystem section.
...it didn't override my theme when I tried it on Puppy 1
Be aware, that I don't run Puppy 1, and I do not know how gtk-themes are arranged there. I have NOT checked it in Puppy 2 either, but in Puppy 4 it all worked properly atfer fixing the bug you reported.
Look what happens if you open pburn when it is already running - that doesn't seem very good.
I know... But since you only can burn 1 disc at a time anyway, I haven't given it priority. The first logical thought is to check if Pburn is running before starting a new instance. But when gtkdialog doesn't kill pid if using window manager for closing program (x-button in upper right corner), we can't use 'ps' to check it. I don't know how else we could give it a check. The other way is like Pfind/Picker, - give all temporary files a tail with pid. Like this every instance differs from each other. But there is no point of allowing several instances of Pburn, since burning can't be parallel.
Also, we could probably improve the message we get if you click rename, then click OK without changing anything.
Do you mean that 'ok' without changes is the same as 'cancel' or......?

Thanks for input
Sigmund

zigbert

#212 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.4.1 is uploaded. See main post.

disciple

#213 Post by disciple »

That is all cool 8)
The follow symlink is an advanced option, but users tend to have an idea of what this means, and I feel (for now) it's more logical to keep it in the filesystem section.
A lot of new puppy users don't understand symlinks, so if we can provide an explanation it would be good. But it isn't important.
It is worth at least putting the warning about size calculation anyway - but you may have already - I'll have to go see :)
I don't know how else we could give it a check.
Maybe it could check if /tmp/pburn exists (or has stuff in it), and say something like "There is stuff in /tmp/pburn. This might mean you already have Pburn open. Opening Pburn again will delete the stuff and confuse any previous instances of Pburn. Press OK if you are sure you want to do this, otherwise click cancel."

There is a point in allowing several instances - I have been known to work on three or four discs at a time, when I'm deciding what to put on which disc (i.e. what combinations of things will fit). But I agree that it isn't at all important - I was bringing it up more in case we could prevent it from opening again - I think having only one instance of pburn would be tidier than using separate PIDs.
Do you mean that 'ok' without changes is the same as 'cancel' or......?
Either do the same as cancel, or at least have a message that says what was wrong "Error: You did not change the name". That message just wasn't user-friendly. I think it would be best not to have an error message though.
Last edited by disciple on Sun 06 Apr 2008, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#214 Post by disciple »

If I type or past an address without a trailing / in the "browse" bar, and press enter or click "go", then it goes to the location, but I can't add any files, because it doesn't know there should be a / on the end of the address.

Code: Select all

cp: cannot stat `/mnt/hdb6/01 Only Love Is Spoken Here10 How Firm A Foundation.mp3': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `/mnt/hdb6/01 Only Love Is Spoken Here10 How Firm A Foundation.mp3': No such file or directory
Should be Here/10
Last edited by disciple on Sun 06 Apr 2008, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#215 Post by disciple »

I still see all sorts of things that look wrong when I remove things from the burn list, but maybe they are right. Removing something:

/usr/local/pburn/func: line 570: [: 1484: unary operator expected
Removing something from inside a folder:

/usr/local/pburn/func: command substitution: line 539: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
/usr/local/pburn/func: command substitution: line 540: syntax error: unexpected end of file
/usr/local/pburn/func: line 570: [: 12: unary operator expected
If these messages are good, then ignore me :)
I have cleaned up the output to terminal. I have to agree that it is useful to get rid of unnecessary output to give a more accurate troubleshooting.
Actually, I think the more output the better for troubleshooting, because then at least you can see where a script got to... :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#216 Post by disciple »

in Puppy 4 it all worked properly atfer fixing the bug you reported.
It seems my original understanding of what it does with GTK themes is correct, and it SHOULD obey the GTK font setting.
It still doesn't work in Dingo. Did this fix make it into the 1.4 or 1.4.1? My Dingo must somehow be broken if it did...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#217 Post by zigbert »

disciple
It seems my original understanding of what it does with GTK themes is correct, and it SHOULD obey the GTK font setting.
It still doesn't work in Dingo. Did this fix make it into the 1.4 or 1.4.1? My Dingo must somehow be broken if it did...
The only thing that should happen to gtk-settings is that text of radiobuttons should be bold and red. And this should only happen in the main window, - not in preferences. I am now in a fresh Puppy 4 beta1. I downloaded Pburn 1.4.1 and checked. - Everything normal here.
I still see all sorts of things that look wrong when I remove things from the burn list, but maybe they are right.
I continue to remove these messages, though most of them do no harm. But when we get rid of those harmless, the bad ones are left. And those are important to fix. So, I'm glad you fuss about this. While writing this am trying to clean the output you mention, and I see a bug here. If user first renames a directory, and then removes it, the 'minimun disc size' are not updated.
If I type or past an address without a trailing / in the "browse" bar, and press enter or click "go", then it goes to the location, but I can't add any files, because it doesn't know there should be a / on the end of the address.
I'll fix that.

Nathan F

#218 Post by Nathan F »

Hello Zigbert! It's been a long time but I'm back among the living and very interested in what you're doing here with Pburn. I can tell this is miles beyond where I had gotten with Grafburn so rather than resurrecting that nightmarish code I was thinking maybe I could fiddle a bit with yours from time to time if you don't mind.

I like the overall design of the program but I do have a few issues. Don't know if they've already been brought up and I'm too lazy to read through 15 pages of posts right now, so I'm going to dig in. I'm not thrilled with the file selector because navigation is in the clunky gtk1 type vein, and it shows all the hidden files and directories. I'm curious what is being used here. I also think the window is just too large considering there are still a number of older displays in use out there, and I know this wouldn't fit on say 800x600. It already runs off partway on my 1200x800 lcd.

I also think there needs to be some feedback during the conversion of ogg/mp3/wma files to wav for audio cd creation. This process takes a long time and the program just kind of sits there doing nothing. A progress bar or log viewer would be nice here.

I'd like to get familiar with the code a bit, although I do recognize some things already as Grafburn in origin. Any insight you can give me would be appreciated.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#219 Post by zigbert »

Nathan F
Great that you will 'look inside'. I have began to write some developer docs. The link is in the main post, but at this point it is rather limited.
Pburn was started with a lot of code taken from Grafburn. As time has gone parts have been enhanced (in my opinion), so today the only main parts that are left from Grafburn are encoding of audio-files and using cue/toc files for burning. Pburn is not built as standalone functions as in Grafburn. This means you can't start the copy-function without starting the main window. If this sometime are wanted, it is possible to give it a startup parameter.
so rather than resurrecting that nightmarish code I was thinking maybe I could fiddle a bit with yours
Don't expect it to be much better. I have looked at your code, and it seems that we are both guys who dive before we can swim. :wink:
I'm not thrilled with the file selector because navigation is in the clunky gtk1 type vein, and it shows all the hidden files and directories. I'm curious what is being used here.
This is truly homemade crap. But still I'm rather proud of it. - It doesn't look good, it renders slowly, but it does what it is meant to do. But yeah, it would be wonderful if we could manage to make it more gtk2ish. Maybe a checkbox to show/hide hidden files.
I also think the window is just too large considering there are still a number of older displays in use out there, and I know this wouldn't fit on say 800x600. It already runs off partway on my 1200x800 lcd.
It is meant to fit in 800x600, because the window size should scale with your screen up until something around 900 dpi height. If it doesn't fit your screen, it must be considered as a bug as long as you use jwm or similar. If I remember correct, height is set to screen height minus 28 pixels. Maybe this should be tweaked so it would fit in a window manager that uses a taller tray.
I also think there needs to be some feedback during the conversion of ogg/mp3/wma files to wav for audio cd creation.
It seems that you should have tried the latest 1.4.1.

I will soon start working on 1.5.0 which will have focus on audio production. Plans are CD-text support and option to normalize audio-level before burning. Remember that today Pburn burn/copy audio-CDs without using cdrdao. This will continue, but if user choose to use CD-text support, it seems that we got to use cdrdao. I have been googling, but couldn't find anyone who has made cdrtools to work with CD-text, even if it is saying so in the documentation. I intend to have as few dependences as possible.

You talked nicely about cdrkit and wodim, but this is not working with Pburn, as it gave trouble to detect a valid multisession disk. If you're keen about this, I could explain more later, but it would need some investigation because of the remember-factor of my human brain.

Sigmund

mikeb

#220 Post by mikeb »

Hi zigbert and all

well I thought I would pop out of my trench after the great symlink war (I had to look up graft points so not really the best person to ask plus I back up puppy by remastering)

I must admit i've modded pburn to exclude hidden files and also the preceeding '/' on directory names..I find this more readable...a toggle would be good like with pprocess 'show all' function.

At the time of your major rewrite for symlink handling (you were obviously busy plus subtantial changes were happening) I had modified tao audio burning to burn direct from the audiofile(s) ... piping the file player output to cdrecord...each track was a separate unfixed track write with a final -fix only track which I have been using for a while to make quite happy audio cds....this eliminates the move and convert delay .

For -dao It basically requires the building of a series of blah.inf files with the block size etc information for cdrecord to then correctly build the final cd. If Cd text is broken then obviously this poses a problem...hmmmm

Oh on a minor point does 'nice' work in puppy 3 as there is only 'renice' in older puppies?

regards

mike

mikeb

#221 Post by mikeb »

This is truly homemade crap
hey this is not crap

this is a dedicated attempt to make a decent burner application for puppy...at last even though it's a work in progess I no longer have to keep resorting to nero for my burning needs :) ...now thats a breakthrough.

mike

edit...the sweeter version of this post :D
Last edited by mikeb on Wed 09 Apr 2008, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#222 Post by disciple »

this is a dedicated attempt to make a decent burner application for puppy
It's pretty darn good too.

Bug: I get a gtkdialog error if there are files in the burn list and I try to open the preferences dialogue from the menu.

It would be nice if we could more freely resize the windows of your programs zigbert - particularly picker and pburn. It can be quite annoying not really being able to shrink windows.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Nathan F

#223 Post by Nathan F »

Hey Zigbert, thanks for the speedy reply. I'm in kernel compile mode tonight but wouldn't mind at all taking a look at the code for the file selection sometime. I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to implement a checkbox for show/hide hidden files. A mechanism for entering a path might be nice too.

The version I tried was what is included in Dingo beta, so I will update if need be. I do seem to recall Barry is sometimes slightly behind getting things current, not that I don't have a lot of empathy for the job he does.

As for CD-text I have no idea where to start with cdrecord. But my gut says implement it using cdrdao first, and just disable the function if the user doesn't have the program. Even if you ever get it working with cdrecord I imagine cdrdao would prove more reliable anyway, in which case Pburn could pick which one to use based on what is available. My 2c anyway.

I hadn't realized the part about the auto scaling, sorry. That should work nicely.

And you're 100% correct about diving before we can swim :D

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

mikeb

#224 Post by mikeb »

cdrdao would prove more reliable anyway
I did wonder a while ago if cdrdao could replace cdrecord entirely...or am I being too simplistic?

also in terms of disk space are these binaries from cdrtools actually used in puppy..I deleted them and everything still seems to work and thet represents a 1Mb uncompressed saving...plenty of room for cdrdao.
Or could some of them be useful to pburn?

readcd A program to read CD/DVD/BD media with CD-clone features
isodebug A program to print mkisofs debug information from media
isodump A program to dump ISO-9660 media
isoinfo A program to analyse/verify ISO/9660/Joliet/Rock-Ridge Filesystems
isovfy A program to verify the ISO-9660 structures
rscsi A Remote SCSI enabling daemon

mike

zigbert

#225 Post by zigbert »

Here was a lot of input. It seems that we agree on a option to show hidden files. Do not show these files by default. I have always wanted a clean gui, so I'm thinking of putting a checkbox - 'show hidden files' in the preferences dialog. I know that this is far from the browser, but I haven't got any better idea at this moment. Please give feedback of your thoughts.

mikeb
Good to see you back here. I was afraid you had found better places to waste your time. Now that the great symlink war is over, lets go on.
At the time of your major rewrite for symlink handling (you were obviously busy plus subtantial changes were happening) I had modified tao audio burning to burn direct from the audiofile(s) ... piping the file player output to cdrecord...each track was a separate unfixed track write with a final -fix only track which I have been using for a while to make quite happy audio cds....this eliminates the move and convert delay.
For now, I think we have to stick with the original solution. Encoding first, and then use either cdrecord or cdrdao (for CD-text). I'm not sure how your piping would work on a low powered system. Have you tested it ?
Oh on a minor point does 'nice' work in puppy 3 as there is only 'renice' in older puppies?
If renice does the job, we could change. What about Puppy 4. I'll make a notice in mo todo-list.
I did wonder a while ago if cdrdao could replace cdrecord entirely...or am I being too simplistic?
The reason we use cdrtools is that many apps in Puppy use it. As long as it is Puppy builtin, Pburn should try to use this.
also in terms of disk space are these binaries from cdrtools actually used in puppy..I deleted them and everything still seems to work and thet represents a 1Mb uncompressed saving...plenty of room for cdrdao.
Or could some of them be useful to pburn?
I see isoinfo / isovfy. The word verify comes up, and I ask myself. Isn't this man the Pburn-verify-boss. Hello, Don't ask me :D

disciple
Bug: I get a gtkdialog error if there are files in the burn list and I try to open the preferences dialogue from the menu.
What does it say?
It would be nice if we could more freely resize the windows of your programs zigbert - particularly picker and pburn. It can be quite annoying not really being able to shrink windows.
I agree, it would be nice. I have just made the best solution I could manage. Pprocess and Pfind is built with a single <tree> on one side of the window. Like this you don't need to specify any alignment for the tree, and it will scale nice. Maybe there is a solution I don't know about. If so, please let me know. It's a challenge. :)

Nathan F
A mechanism for entering a path might be nice too.
What do you mean by this. You can manually enter a path in the <entry> on top of the browser and press the 'Go' button.

Thanks for input
Sigmund

mikeb

#226 Post by mikeb »

I was afraid you had found better places to waste your time.
I exist to annoy...tis not intentional.
Have you tested it ?
Yep...about 30 ok burns so far on a 700mhz machine..with a 16 mb buffer..perhaps larger would be better...I have a 333mhz machine...I will test on that. Processor runs nowhere near max.

As for renice it is awkward because it has to be applied after the process is launced usually in the background...but even if I do something heavy...eg printing, the buffer never drops below 98% so it seems the kernel handles things rather well anyway. In fact I find only the odd app hogs the processor (handbrake is one) and manual priority setting is needed.

I see isoinfo / isovfy. The word verify comes up
yeah I jumped at that too but from what I read its for checking the integrity of an iso file created by mkisofs in the early days when it was still quite buggy.
The reason we use cdrtools is that many apps in Puppy use it
fair enough ...hence my suggestion of swapping unused cdrtool binaries for useful cdrdao..oh I'm so ruthless.

well I've run out of words to quote :)

regards

mike

disciple

#227 Post by disciple »

disciple
Quote:
What does it say?
Sorry - I posted that when I was in at uni.

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 51, near token '</default>': syntax error

aborting...
Aborted

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#228 Post by zigbert »

disciple
Could it be that /root/.pburnrc misses the value for CHKREC (<checkbox> recursively)

mikeb
Maybe we could give the same option as for data-burning. 'on-the-fly' or 'use temporary storage'. If you feel comfortable with your testing, could you then send me your code.
hence my suggestion of swapping unused cdrtool binaries for useful cdrdao.
This decision can't be made in the burning-department. :wink:

Sigmund

mikeb

#229 Post by mikeb »

Hi Sigmund
This decision can't be made in the burning-department.
I know..that's why I popped in the workers suggestions box :wink:

Well I tested on the pentium 333 and similar results.
I did notice in the log

0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
It would seem cdrecord sensibly waits until the buffer is filled before recording to avoid underruns...as i said I was using a 16mb buffer which was on the small size to check for performance. In fact compared to using nero in the same mode on the same machine pburn runs very lightly :)

mike

zigbert

#230 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.4.2 is uploaded. See main post.