pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
matiasbatero

Re: How to add a single file to a folder on a multi-session DVD

#2101 Post by matiasbatero »

gcmartin wrote:While on this subject, I have a problem where pBurn might be able to address.

I have a multi-session DVD which has a folder "/boot/grub". I want to copy a single file into that DVD's folder.

Can pBurn do this? Or can GROWISOFS do this? Or, is it advised to create a file in a HDD folder, /boot/grub/singleFile, and copy that folder to the multi-session disc? Or ...?

Thanks in advance for insight.
to create a file in a HDD folder, /boot/grub/singleFile, and copy that folder to the multi-session disc
1) Make a identical path on some directory..
/home/gcmartin/project/boot/grub
2) Copy the file(s) on that directory. ex: "log.txt"
3) Burn the compilation with growisofs calling, /home/gcmartin/project as a source. (Not /home/gcmartin/project/boot/grub/log.txt)
4) The final result is "log.txt" inside on /boot/grub on you multisession disk.

---------
You can use the Pburn editor, to create /boot .. and /boot/grub folders... + files, and burn them. It would be the same operation.
---------

Cautions: You need to know the previous session mkisofs parameters. If your disk was manually built using newer versions of Pburn, that information is saved inside. If you use growisofs command, you need to put it manually.

Cautions: Booteable multisession disks, i'm not sure, if it requires more parameters.

There isn't more ways to add files on iso multisession disks.
If you have the main project on ISO image, you can remaster it before, and then burn it in one track.

starhawk

#2102 Post by starhawk »

Having some trouble with PBurn and a particular drive. Specifics here --> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91345

It's probably best to offer help, info, etc., in the linked thread rather than here.

zigbert

#2103 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.3.4
See main post

Changelog
- Use svg icon in *.desktop file.
- Bugfix: Activate Publish/Volume fields for blank DVD/BD

zigbert

#2104 Post by zigbert »

matiasbatero wrote:These numbers are obteined, by

Code:
dvd+rw-mediainfo <path>
echo $?

And, the correct numbers are:

0 : DVD or BD inside.
252 : No compatible medium, no dvd/bd structure.. (and always is referenced to CD/CDRW cases).
251 : Empty drive, or open tray.
150 : Incompatible device (ex: /dev/sda)
130 : Invalid device path (ex: /dev/cuak)
Now, there is only one thing that cddetect does. It defines an audio-CD.
dvd+rw-mediainfo outputs 252 for both data/audio CD.

I tried to use cd-info, but I am not able to skip the track detection, even if -T attribute should let me to. My assumption was that

Code: Select all

cd-info --no-tracks --no-analyze --no-cddb --dvd
should give me info quickly, but no go.

Any thoughts?
Sigmund

zigbert

#2105 Post by zigbert »

Some more investigation...
The audio-CD detection can be done otherwise. It does not require a superfast detection, since it is only done once, when status is changed. cd-info can do this just fine.

More important is the nice feedback of cddetect that drive is spinning/scanning the disc. This can be a rather long time on several devices. And of course if the media is scratched. It is always nice to give feedback to the user that things are going on...
...Yes, you can hear the disc spin, but is everything Ok?

Sigmund

nubc

#2106 Post by nubc »

Is there a way or setting in Pburn to combine a batch of files as if to burn them as a DVD, and then just produce the processed file? It's a waste to burn a batch of files to DVD for the purpose of ripping the combined video as a single file to the hard drive. Can someone make a combining program that uses Pburn's processing to simply produce a single combined media file?

zigbert

#2107 Post by zigbert »

I am not sure I understand exactly what you think of, but pBurn offers some solutions.

First the easy way:

Now, if this didn't match your request, you can control pBurn fully from the advanced tab in the Burn-Options dialog.
Activate it by the checkbox.
The bottom field executes the actual burning, while the top-field contains the pre-burn commands. Here you can do whatever pleases you.
My red-commented line should be removed to avoid burning. Instead you can copy the dvdauthor output as set by the -o switch.
For me it would be

Code: Select all

cp /mnt/sdb1/tmp/pburn-DVD $HOME 
to keep the DVD files in my home directory. /mnt/sdb1/tmp/pburn-DVD will be deleted by pBurn after execution.

starhawk

#2108 Post by starhawk »

Hey, I've got kind of a quandary here.

I've got Pburn 4.0.5, as built into X-Slacko 1.1. I have a DOS game that I want to transfer to a *really* old system, a 486 laptop that someone recently gave me. At least one of the game files is 8meg so I can't stuff it on a floppy :(

The 486 laptop came with a real-SCSI CD-ROM drive that I've managed to get to work somehow. Actually, that drive is kinda the problem itself.

It's a 2x speed drive.

Regular options in Pburn let me /select/ a burn speed of 2x, but when I actually go to burn, it thinks it's smarter than I am and ups things to 4x which that old heap drive won't read.

For various reasons, obtaining an upgraded drive is not going to happen.

Is there a way to force Pburn 4.0.5 to actually burn at 2x speed, so that it won't second-guess me?

zigbert

#2109 Post by zigbert »

starhawk
The trouble with overriding the speed detected by cdrecord has been an issue as long as I have worked with pBurn. It could be that I lack knowledge, so I would be very happy if someone stepped in and told how this could be solved.

Like many other burning options, setting the speed depends on both the hardware and the driver. A quick internet-search tells that you are not alone. Manual speed setting doesn't work on my system either.

Sigmund

starhawk

#2110 Post by starhawk »

Wow, didn't realize it was that big of a problem :lol: that's interesting.

I think you might have to even override the firmware on the drive itself; that came up in a few posts I saw in doing research myself. Not sure if that sort of trickery is possible tho.

zigbert

#2111 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.3.5
See main post

Changelog
- Bugfix: Correct detection of free space on a multisession BD-RE.

don570

#2112 Post by don570 »

I got a 404 error when I tried a download of
http://www.meownplanet.net/zigbert/pburn-4.3.5.pet

zigbert

#2113 Post by zigbert »

Thank you for mention
Now fixed

Sigmund

ozsouth

small bug in 4.3.4?

#2114 Post by ozsouth »

Last versions of this excellent program I used (4.0.5 & 3.7.18) auto-ejected CD / DVD after blanking. Doesn't happen with 4.3.4. Auto-eject after burning still OK.

zigbert

#2115 Post by zigbert »

ozsouth
Good to hear - it works as expected.
Most likely, you want pBurn to write some data to the same disc afterwards...

Sigmund

nubc

#2116 Post by nubc »

Working from Slacko 5.5 as a live CD, I installed Pburn 4.3.5 to concatenate a movie in 7 parts (mp4s), by selecting "Author files in list to Video-DVD file system" from Tools. This produced a folder with 6 files, 2 of which are large VOB files comprising the movie in two halves. Although audio-video sync is good for this concatenation, 7 parts to 2 parts, I am not completely satisfied with the end result because, for the two VOB files, the video clock-timer is counting multiple 15-minute increments of the original 7 mp4s. Actually, parts 1 through 6 are 15 minutes each, and part 7 is only 10 minutes. On the other hand, between the 15-minute parts there is considerable discrepancy in file size, from 41 MB to 62 MB. Total size of the movie is about 380 MB, which is bare minimum for avoiding pixellation and other distortion.

Here are the 6 files authored to directory with Pburn:
VIDEO_TS.BUP (gear icon)
VIDEO_TS.IFO (gear icon)
VTS_01_0.BUP (gear icon)
VTS_01_0.IFO (gear icon)
VTS_01_1.VOB (film icon)
VTS_01_2.VOB (film icon)

I tried to use the CopyDVD app to concatenate the two halves, but nothing happened when I clicked "Rip DVD", presumably because there is no DVD. Some command line refinement might be called for here. What can I do to concatenate the two VOB files into one mp4 file? Naturally, it would be preferable for the resultant concatenation to show a clock-timer that runs from 0 to 100 minutes. In fact, I would be willing to redo the original concatenation (to two parts) if there were some way to make the clock-timer count continuous time for each half.

Understand that I could have burned the 7 parts as a project to DVD, and then ripped the resultant DVD for one single file. That would likely produce a good result, even if the clock-timer still counted 15-minute increments. The sad fact is, burning the project to DVD is the best way to concatenate a video (movie) in multiple parts, even when this wastes a DVD for the purpose. There may be a better way in Windows, but I haven't discovered it.

EDIT: I observed the clock while watching the movie, and the above description is not entirely accurate. The video clock-timer counts up to 14:59 and stops, then remains frozen for the duration of the movie. The counter starts at "00:00/03:24" when the movie begins. The counter shows "14:59/03:24" when it stops at the first 15-minute mark. If I move the slider to skip over the end of the first segment, the count will begin again at "00:00/03:24" in the second 15-minute segment.

zigbert

#2117 Post by zigbert »

nubc
I was hoping a guru would step in here. This is a bit out of my scope.
pBurn uses the progam 'vobcopy' to rip the DVD and 'vamps' to shrink it. This code was written by plinej for his dvdrsab app. It is the program 'dvdauthor' that builds the DVD filesystem. I do not know these commands very well. The ripping/burning commands are all shown in the 'Advanced' tab in the burn-options dialog.

My focus with pBurn is to ... burn :)
Related functions like ripping are not having my priority. But, if someone else are willing to look at it, I am not strictly against it.

Sigmund

rcrsn51

#2118 Post by rcrsn51 »

My only suggestion would be to concatenate the original MP4's into one file using ffmpeg, then author it. From here:
ffmpeg -i "concat:input1.mpg|input2.mpg|input3.mpg" -c copy output.mpg

If you have MP4 files, these could be losslessly concatenated by first transcoding them to mpeg transport streams. With h.264 video and AAC audio, the following can be used:

ffmpeg -i input1.mp4 -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts intermediate1.ts
ffmpeg -i input2.mp4 -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts intermediate2.ts
ffmpeg -i "concat:intermediate1.ts|intermediate2.ts" -c copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc output.mp4
Hopefully, this will make the timer work correctly through the full playback.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2119 Post by Flash »

nubc wrote:...burning the project to DVD is the best way to concatenate a video (movie) in multiple parts, even when this wastes a DVD for the purpose. ...
If you burned a rewritable DVD you wouldn't waste anything. :idea:

technosaurus

#2120 Post by technosaurus »

nubc wrote:The video clock-timer counts up to 14:59 and stops, then remains frozen for the duration of the movie
Seeking with variable bitrate encoding is hard because you can't just multiply the number of packets by a single value (you have to track them as you traverse the file), but if you want the best encoding possible with the smallest file size possible, that is what you've got.
FWIW I just wrote a tool to strip ID3 tags from mp3 files so you can just use `cat *.mp3 >collection.mp3` to put them together without any en/de-coding. I'm sure the same is possible for other streaming type formats, but for formats that are meant to be stored in files you _may_ need to rebuild the format specific header info from them.
My id3 stripper is here if you want to take a look at how it works (pretty simple)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].