pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
mikeb

#226 Post by mikeb »

I was afraid you had found better places to waste your time.
I exist to annoy...tis not intentional.
Have you tested it ?
Yep...about 30 ok burns so far on a 700mhz machine..with a 16 mb buffer..perhaps larger would be better...I have a 333mhz machine...I will test on that. Processor runs nowhere near max.

As for renice it is awkward because it has to be applied after the process is launced usually in the background...but even if I do something heavy...eg printing, the buffer never drops below 98% so it seems the kernel handles things rather well anyway. In fact I find only the odd app hogs the processor (handbrake is one) and manual priority setting is needed.

I see isoinfo / isovfy. The word verify comes up
yeah I jumped at that too but from what I read its for checking the integrity of an iso file created by mkisofs in the early days when it was still quite buggy.
The reason we use cdrtools is that many apps in Puppy use it
fair enough ...hence my suggestion of swapping unused cdrtool binaries for useful cdrdao..oh I'm so ruthless.

well I've run out of words to quote :)

regards

mike

disciple

#227 Post by disciple »

disciple
Quote:
Bug: I get a gtkdialog error if there are files in the burn list and I try to open the preferences dialogue from the menu.
What does it say?
Sorry - I posted that when I was in at uni.

Code: Select all

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 51, near token '</default>': syntax error

aborting...
Aborted
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#228 Post by zigbert »

disciple
Could it be that /root/.pburnrc misses the value for CHKREC (<checkbox> recursively)

mikeb
Maybe we could give the same option as for data-burning. 'on-the-fly' or 'use temporary storage'. If you feel comfortable with your testing, could you then send me your code.
hence my suggestion of swapping unused cdrtool binaries for useful cdrdao.
This decision can't be made in the burning-department. :wink:

Sigmund

mikeb

#229 Post by mikeb »

Hi Sigmund
This decision can't be made in the burning-department.
I know..that's why I popped in the workers suggestions box :wink:

Well I tested on the pentium 333 and similar results.
I did notice in the log

0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
It would seem cdrecord sensibly waits until the buffer is filled before recording to avoid underruns...as i said I was using a 16mb buffer which was on the small size to check for performance. In fact compared to using nero in the same mode on the same machine pburn runs very lightly :)

mike

zigbert

#230 Post by zigbert »

Version 1.4.2 is uploaded. See main post.

disciple

#231 Post by disciple »

Could it be that /root/.pburnrc misses the value for CHKREC (<checkbox> recursively)
Well it doesn't have that, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean should be there - do you mean `export CHKREC=true`.
Actually, I was wrong anyway. The preferences dialogue never works now (not just when there is something in the burn list). Maybe I broke it somehow, because I just realised that it does work in Dingo, so you probably shouldn't worry about it.

I'm just wondering - why don't we turn on burnfree?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#232 Post by zigbert »

disciple wrote:I'm just wondering - why don't we turn on burnfree?
I'm just wondering - what exactly is burnfree? It's rather weird. My knowledge about burning is sooo tiny.....I shouldn't be allowed to work here :) Please tell me, disciple. Could it do any harm? Should it be a check to see if burner actually supports burnfree, or will it just be ignored?

What about -shorttrack. Why this default limit of 4 sec track?

Sigmund

disciple

#233 Post by disciple »

I don't really know anything about it myself.
If I understand it correctly, burnfree is the option that all modern burners have had since at least 2001, to somehow prevent buffer underrun errors by stopping and waiting for more data if their buffer is empty.
I think there is no disadvantage to always having it on, but I don't know for sure.
Apparently it doesn't do anything at all if there isn't a buffer under-run, and I think it is just ignored if a burner doesn't support it. But I'm not sure. Maybe someone else knows?

Shorttrack - I have no idea, but I can't imagine wanting a 3 second track :)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#234 Post by disciple »

OK, I think I found two real bugs:

1. I burned an audio cd, only to find that it was missing two tracks. I did it again, and noticed that the reason is the tracks had ' characters in them.
e.g. this file was created:
/tmp/pburn_tmp/06_06_Pleasin'_You_Pleases_Me.mp3
But then the log said

FFmpeg version SVN-rUNKNOWN, Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/man --disable-debug --arch=i386 --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libogg --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-gpl --enable-shared --enable-pp
  libavutil version: 49.5.0
  libavcodec version: 51.44.0
  libavformat version: 51.14.0
  built on Oct 18 2007 20:54:01, gcc: 4.2.2
06_06_Pleasin_You_Pleases_Me.mp3 -ac 2 -ar 44100 06_06_Pleasin_You_Pleases_Me.wav: no such file or directory
2. Line 200 of the english locale should say
export LOC313="Checking media...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#235 Post by zigbert »

disciple
Thanks

1. Already fixed 2 days ago. I'm working through the audio functions, and it's all getting better. :wink:
2. You are right......Fixed. 'Ckecking media' must be something else.

Botanic

#236 Post by Botanic »

when blanking a RW disc, there is no possibility to set the drive speed. I set it in File/Preferences, but then the speed seems to be guessed by cdrecord, it doesn't use the speed i set.

my device is an old 32x/8x/4x. cdrecord guesses 4x all right, but actually i always handle RW discs at 2x, not 4x, because it sometimes ruin my discs :)

anyway, a fix should be possible, because i still blank my discs with cdrecord using the following command line :
cdrecord blank=fast -eject -v speed=2 dev=ATAPI:0,1,0
Puppy 2.16 on HP Vectra VL400 - PIII 800 MHz - 320M RAM
Wary on Acer Aspire X3200 - Phenom X4 - 2.2GHz - 4G RAM

Botanic

#237 Post by Botanic »

aïe
just now noticed something a bit more serious
The Preferences window doesn't open any longer. And, if i go to the menu Burn/Blank CD/DVD-rw... and that i decide to close the window that just appeared (named Pburn: blank disc) by clicking the cross at the top-right corner, the blanking process starts anyway !

(note, i'm still using Puppy 2.16.1, but i installed pburn-1.4.2 , gtkdialog3-0.7.20 , gtklogviewer-0.1 and pfilesearch-1.1 without errors or warnings - all .pets downloaded from the first post)

here is a kind of log, if it can be useful:
i launch pburn:

# pburn 
ls: unrecognized option `--group-directories-first'
Try `ls --help' for more information.
sh: locate: command not found
then goes in File/Preferences (nothing happens)

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 308, near token '</default>': syntax error

aborting...
then go into Burn/Blank CD/DVD-rw... menu, then close the window

/usr/local/pburn/func_blank: line 73: [: =: unary operator expected

(gtklogfileviewer:10298): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

(gtklogfileviewer:10298): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

(gtklogfileviewer:10299): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

(gtklogfileviewer:10299): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

Puppy 2.16 on HP Vectra VL400 - PIII 800 MHz - 320M RAM
Wary on Acer Aspire X3200 - Phenom X4 - 2.2GHz - 4G RAM

zigbert

#238 Post by zigbert »

Botanic
I have reorganized the blanking function for Pburn 1.5.0. It now uses the same dialog as normal burn. This gives you the normal 'Device' tab to set speed, and the 'Advanced' tab to manipulate the command. Also your last trouble with cancel process should be solved.

Thank you for reporting bugs. I Hope we'll hear from you if you're not pleased when 1.5.0 becomes available.

Sigmund

disciple

#239 Post by disciple »

That file/preferences bug is the same one I reported, but I thought I must have broken something. There must be something different in older puppies that causes it.

It worked up until a couple of versions ago though. I think it broke with 1.4.0, but I'm not sure.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#240 Post by zigbert »

disciple
For Pburn 1.5.0 I have made a new function: repair-all-variables-if-broken. I hope this will solve your trouble. Maybe I ship it next weekend. There are some coding left...

Sigmund

Nathan F

#241 Post by Nathan F »

# pburn 
ls: unrecognized option `--group-directories-first' 
Try `ls --help' for more information. 
Older Puppies used busybox for the ls command, which doesn't recognize the "--group-directories-first" option. I've been working on tweaking Pburn for my new Grafpup and that was one of the first things I found.

This could be fixed (with a bit of work) in the Pburn code, or it might just be easier to provide an ls binary for those who don't have the real thing in their version of Puppy. Zigbert's call here.

I do have a suggestion for the way the theming has been implemented. In v1.4.2. As of right now it does this:

export GTK2_RC_FILES="`cat $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 | grep -m 1 gtkrc | cut -d'\"' -f2 2> /dev/null`" #get active theme
This grabs the current theme if it is listed in $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 (which is normal). However, it misses any custom fonts or icon themes. It also misses any includes. For instance, my .gtkrc-2.0 has this:

include "/root/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkrc.icons"
include "/root/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkrc.widgets"
include "/root/.config/gtk-2.0/gtkrc.fonts"
This is because of how my gtk+ theme manager works in Grafpup (development branch) and Pburn is the only app that doesn't abide my settings, at least not as written. I would suggest this instead:

export GTK2_RC_FILES="$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0" #get active theme
export GTK2_RC_FILES="$APPDIR/themes/$THEME/gtk/gtkrc:$GTK2_RC_FILES"
Quite simple in comparison and it works. I think you were overthinking this one part. Just by exporting gtkrc-2.0 anything included in it will be used automatically - no need to extract the path to the real theme.

I also have a couple issues with running Pburn in a multi-user environment, basically Grafpup or any other distro besides Puppy would have this particular issue. Pburn uses /tmp, which is fine, but lets say it was run as root, root logged out, and then "nathan" logged in and tried to burn something. Well "nathan" can't overwrite any of those files in /tmp so Pburn fails completely. Two relatively painless solutions:
  • 1) Append the users name to the temp files - /tmp/pburn-burn.`whoami`, or conversely put them into a subdir based on uid or username.
    2)Use a dir in $HOME instead (I use $HOME/.config/tmp a lot).
This is of course not a concern if you're intention is an app that will only run in Puppy, and I'll take the time to port it myself if need be. I already have a customized version going into Grafpup, but it's then a pain to upgrade when you keep releasing new versions with very worthwhile features and upgrades :D

Overall I'm very impressed with Pburn, however, and I want to thank you for all the work that has gone into it. Most of the things I saw as problems at first have either already been corrected or I was wrong in my original assumptions anyway.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#242 Post by zigbert »

Nathan
Thanks for input!
It would be very nice getting Pburn running in Grafpup.

1. Yes, I move all files to $USER/tmp/...
2. I'll check the include gtkrc in Puppy and follow your suggestion if no troubles occur.
3. Do you know when 'ls' was introduced into Puppy? I can give a link, but need to know what Puppy version that needs 'ls'.

There is a huge upgrade with version 1.5.0. Will try to release it during the next weekend. (or the one after that. My sparetime is limited at the moment.)

Sigmund

Nathan F

#243 Post by Nathan F »

I searched through Barry's news pages (harder now that the archives are not in a blog, but separate static html pages) and found that the full "ls" utility was introduced into Puppy in v2.16.

I'll continue to check in from time to time, I've got to get back to work for now.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

zigbert

#244 Post by zigbert »

Thanks for info. I'll add note in main post.

Sigmund

disciple

#245 Post by disciple »

1. Yes, I move all files to $USER/tmp/...
Please can we make this configurable?
What if I don't have that much free space in ~ ?
What if I want to use a particular partition?
What if I like Puppies with /tmp in a ramdisk, and like temporary files to be there?
:):):):):)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER