pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
zigbert

#2296 Post by zigbert »

...working as expected here.
Burning - blanking - burning again
TDK CD-RW

Can you point me to a disc not getting blanked by pBurn?

zigbert

#2297 Post by zigbert »

Argolance
Just checking - do you run cdrkit or cdrtools?

Argolance

#2298 Post by Argolance »

Hello Zigbert,
Thanks for your reply! :D
Just checking - do you run cdrkit or cdrtools?
As far as I know, this doesn't happen with DVD-RW, only with CD-RW, it is why I didn't notice this issue earlier because I didn't use CD-RW for a long time.

Cordialement.
Attachments
161214_180020_422x402_easyshot.jpg
(32.39 KiB) Downloaded 428 times

Argolance

#2299 Post by Argolance »

I downloaded "cdrtools" :arrow: from here, built a pet then installed it and now, all is working fine (Puppy Precise 5.7.1). :D
Thanks.
Attachments
161214_183425_422x290_easyshot.jpg
(22.94 KiB) Downloaded 430 times

Chili Dog

#2300 Post by Chili Dog »

Hey sorry about the delay.

Using Pburn to overwrite a dvd fails due to lack of ram, AND deletes the iso you were trying to burn.

To be clear, it doesn't do that when you burn a fresh DVD iso, only when it has to overwrite one.

Other than that, love the app.

zigbert

#2301 Post by zigbert »

Chili Dog wrote:Hey sorry about the delay.

Using Pburn to overwrite a dvd fails due to lack of ram, AND deletes the iso you were trying to burn.

To be clear, it doesn't do that when you burn a fresh DVD iso, only when it has to overwrite one.

Other than that, love the app.
how much ram do you have?

wert

#2302 Post by wert »

Hi! it seems pburn cannot burn files that are 4Gb. I'm trying to do that but it says this:

Code: Select all

Pburn version 3.7.18

###################################################
   COMMAND:
growisofs -use-the-force-luke=notray  -Z /dev/sr0 -speed=4 -f -iso-level 3 -D -R -J -joliet-long -udf -V "pburn_project" -p root -publisher "Pburn"  -exclude-list /root/.pburn/tmp/exclude -graft-points -path-list=/root/.pburn/tmp/graft_points

OUTPUT:
Executing 'genisoimage -f -iso-level 3 -D -R -J -joliet-long -udf -V pburn_project -p root -publisher Pburn -exclude-list /root/.pburn/tmp/exclude -graft-points -path-list=/root/.pburn/tmp/graft_points | builtin_dd of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
Warning: -follow-links does not always work correctly; be careful.
I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
File /mnt/veracrypt2/work_partition_backup.tgzaa is larger than 4GiB-1.
-allow-limited-size was not specified. There is no way do represent this file size. Aborting.
:-( write failed: Input/output error
Please help me

zigbert

#2303 Post by zigbert »

wert
You are using cdrkit as burning backend. You are probably running an old puppy or one of BarryK's builds. He is for some reason happy with cdrkit. cdrtools-3 is the recommended backend, and the only supported backend in pBurn 4.

If you get the same problems with a recent cdrtools / pBurn, please let me know... Puppy Slacko 6.3.2 includes all you need.

rcrsn51

#2304 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is my recollection of how burning works with very large files. The real culprit is growisofs. Depending on the version, it may be hard-coded to use either mkisofs or genisoimage to build an on-the-fly image of the data.

But genisoimage from cdr-kit fails with large files. So you need a version of growisofs that uses cdr-tools.

Read here and here. The growisofs_slacko56-7.1.pet has been confirmed to work, provided that it is matched with genuine cdr-tools.

wert

#2305 Post by wert »

zigbert wrote:wert
You are using cdrkit as burning backend. You are probably running an old puppy or one of BarryK's builds. He is for some reason happy with cdrkit. cdrtools-3 is the recommended backend, and the only supported backend in pBurn 4.

If you get the same problems with a recent cdrtools / pBurn, please let me know... Puppy Slacko 6.3.2 includes all you need.
Hi! thanks for quick reply man. My setup Tahrpup 6.0.2 and my pburn is version 3 i guess. But I'd rather not use a slackware puppy due to bad experience. Some things don't work in slackware.

wert

#2306 Post by wert »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is my recollection of how burning works with very large files. The real culprit is growisofs. Depending on the version, it may be hard-coded to use either mkisofs or genisoimage to build an on-the-fly image of the data.

But genisoimage from cdr-kit fails with large files. So you need a version of growisofs that uses cdr-tools.

Read here and here. The growisofs_slacko56-7.1.pet has been confirmed to work, provided that it is matched with genuine cdr-tools.
Will try that next time I do it

wert

#2307 Post by wert »

If I install those and use to burn my 4Gb files, will the resource usage remain the same as when burning files that are less than 4Gb with pburn version 3 or will my system be clogged? I'm currently using Nero 4 linux but cannot multitask while it's burning my 4Gb files since my system gets really slow.
Also why should I install cdrtools if it isn't included in the ubuntu release that my puppy is based on due to license issues? Isn't that breaking the laws?
Thanks

I wonder why out of the box support for burning 4Gb+ files isn't included in ubuntu 14. Don't most users have huge files to backup to optical media like me or what?

Permanent_Wheelie

Pburn

#2308 Post by Permanent_Wheelie »

When I open Pburn and click "Copy/shrink video DVD," it says "This is a reminder that your temporary storage space is less than 9gb..." even though there is plenty of unused space on the USB key from which I am running Puppy.

Pburn is saying that I have only about 2gb available storage space in the My Documents directory where it wants to store the file it's going to create from my DVD. Should I choose a different directory or something?

(Running Tahrpup 6.0 on a 16gb USB drive that is all ext2 format, with over 14gb space available).

bigpup

#2309 Post by bigpup »

Try /mnt/home as the place to do this in.

That is outside of the save.

Also, if you are using Tahrpup 6.0, you need to update it.
That was a buggy version of Tahrpup.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Permanent_Wheelie

#2310 Post by Permanent_Wheelie »

bigpup wrote:Try /mnt/home as the place to do this in.
That worked!

6.0 seemed like a nice round number, and it has "CE" after it, which to me implied that it was some sort of stable release or whatever. Is it really that bad? The only problem I've had with it so far is the one you just fixed.

This is my first time using Puppy for anything more than light web browsing or primitive word processing, and my presence here is mostly due to the bloating of Ubuntu, but in any case, thanks for your help!

Permanent_Wheelie

#2311 Post by Permanent_Wheelie »

So my DVD copied to a 7gb file in about 40 minutes with no apparent problems, but then Pburn crashed while shrinking it. Can you recommend something that is more stable than Tahrpup 6.0 CE? I'm using a Sony Vaio from 2007 that has 2gb RAM, and will soon be using a slightly newer laptop that has double that.

bigpup

#2312 Post by bigpup »

Tahrpup 6.0 could just be your problem.
That was the first release of Tahrpup and it was buggy.

The newest bug fixed version is Tahrpup 6.0.6
Download from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 20-6.0-CE/
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

zigbert

#2313 Post by zigbert »

Tahrpup has got issues with pBurn as well as ffconvert and pMusic because of using libav instead of ffmpeg. More recent Ubuntu-builds has not this problem. Slacko is just working...

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... cko-6.3.2/

Permanent_Wheelie

#2314 Post by Permanent_Wheelie »

Edit: I found answers to many newbie questions in the Slacko release notes (http://slacko.eezy.xyz/notes.php), but one thing is still not 100% clear to me: It says that the 64-bit version of Slacko has "32-bit compatibility libraries." Does this mean that 64-bit Slacko can be used to run a 32-bit processor? If so, why would anyone bother with a 32-bit version of Slacko?

Anyway, thanks for your recommendations! I will try Slacko 6.3.2 first, and if that doesn't work, then Tahrpup 6.0.6

Permanent_Wheelie

#2315 Post by Permanent_Wheelie »

So with Slacko 6.3.2, after about 6 hours, I ended up with a full-length DVD copy that has no audio! I played it on another machine to make sure.

When the burn was finished, it asked me if I wanted to save the rip, and then it put it in a pBurn folder somewhere, I can't remember where.

Ideally, I would like to rip DVDs to an ISO file on my hard drive, rather than burning them to plastic, but when pBurn asked me to put a blank DVD in the drive, I was afraid not to, as I thought it might just cancel and delete the whole 6-hour project, but anyway, the disk it produced has no sound!