wish list for next puppy release

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Master_wrong

#136 Post by Master_wrong »

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

delta please

#137 Post by Billwho? »

Please Please Please when a new iso is released also release a delta patch file to upgrade the last iso for a particular series to the newly released iso for that series.
I would have much preferred to use my dial-up connection to download a 16Mb patch file, combine it with my puppy 4.20 iso and wind up with a puppy 4.2.1 iso instead of downloading the full 100Mb of 4.21.

How do I know the patch file is 16Mb?
After downloading the 4.21 iso (2x 3 days {got a bad checksum on the first download}) I created a patch file from my 4.20 and 4.21 iso's and then uploaded it to puppylinux.ca (3 hours)
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

James C

#138 Post by James C »

Just keep it small with support for older hardware........

maggotspawn

#139 Post by maggotspawn »

if it hasn't been mentioned already, S1 sleep.
[url]http://www.agitprop666.com/PuppyLinux.html[/url]
[url]http://www.agitprop666.com/PuppyLinux2.html[/url]

ragaman

#140 Post by ragaman »

Old thread but I'll add a little just the same.

A better print manager. Printing to network/shared printers in puppy is such a headache. Why can't it be plug n' play?

Aitch

#141 Post by Aitch »

ottershaw

Ethernet Bridging

#142 Post by ottershaw »

Thanks to all who are responsible for developing puppy. It is the best bootable distro.

Please compile ethernet bridging into the next version of puppy.

It will only add a hundred kilobytes or so, but it will allow the use of puppy as a WPA enabled wireless access point.

Ottershaw

Aitch

#143 Post by Aitch »

ottershaw, this may help

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=266009

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 84ed1f535e

There is also a VMPuppy 214xx [runs in VM player in XP] which bridges AFAIK

see playdayz post here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=915

I can't remember which one it was as he sent me a second version by PM, but try PMing him yourself, if you want to try it

Aitch :)

mistfire

RE: wish list for next puppy release

#144 Post by mistfire »

for my puppy linux suggestion just check out this link
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=43720[/url]

bongcomtech

A nice themes and less appz for newbie

#145 Post by bongcomtech »

I already used puppy for a year now, and i accidentally brows linpus lite. it is nice and a very user friendly for any newbie on linux. So it would be nice if puppy somehow would be like that, small, automatically detect your internet connection whether lan or wlan, less menu, boot about 5 seconds, easy to install, integrated open-office, integrated Firefox, and so many more. I'm not just praising linpus and I love puppy than linpus, just think if puppy is the same as linpus lite, with less hustle and confusion. For me puppy would be one of the powerful linux and more people would change to puppy.

I would like to challenge the creator of this puppy to create a new, user friendly, and better puppy linux.

If you question my status, i'm not good in programming nor hardware, just a student taking up computer tech. It would be nice if the new puppy would be powerful as a dragon but a friendly as a pup.

Bong from Philippines

muggins

#146 Post by muggins »

Linpus Lite is 700mBytes!

gposil

#147 Post by gposil »

Yes, that's very lite...compared to Vista or Solaris....What tha!
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

bongcomtech

#148 Post by bongcomtech »

although Linpus Lite is 700MB, the thought is, if puppy linux could create a desktop as Linpus with lesser application it would be small and liter than Linpus. Puppy would be at the top of the chart that is user friendly linux and a customers choice also.

Just creating Puppy with lesser appz, like linpus and the same desktop as linpus, many people will praise Puppy for creating a good Job. The desktop i mean not like windows, but a desktop like a menu on a cellphone. Less application, great desktop, less confusion, and easy to handle, that the consumer really needs.

And for that on the top of all linux, puppy will be supreme. Because ubuntu is already creating an ubuntulite, with lesser confusion because of less application on there menu, and easy access on internet connection whether desktop or Laptop.

We all know that consumer's first impression on OS is the desktop. And we all know that windows is supreme to Linux because of it's user friendly and easy to understand even your new in windows. Unlike Linux, you need to study and search just to know only the basic. OMG, by just using linux, you will spend too much time to familiar ONLY its basic unlike Windows.

That's why, i wish Puppy will surpass that gap between linux and Windows and create a wonderful free OS that people could say, no Linux OS could beat The MAD PUP, or in philippines "IRONG BUANG".

Good Luck PUP, go strong like a dragon, and kind as a pup.

gposil

#149 Post by gposil »

I'm sorry bongcomtech, Linpus lite is nothing special, a 2.6.20 kernel with xfce desktop....you can have that in Puppy now at nowhere near the size of Linpus Lite...and their specs say it can not handle resolutions greater than 1280x800...not much use to anyone who doesn't use a netbook...

All the so called features of Linpus Lite are available in Puppy and much more...so why bother.
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

37fleetwood

#150 Post by 37fleetwood »

has anyone mentioned yet what is my biggest wish for puppy?
I would like to see some time spent on sorting and updating some of the programs in the repository. lets face it Puppy is only as good as the things you can do with it. it is frustrating not to mention hit or miss to have to go searching through the forum to find out if certain apps are available. what happens to the people who download Puppy but don't stumble across the forum? I'm not campaigning for certain apps just saying for Puppy to be of most use, and maintain it's trim figure, as many options for folks need to be easily accessible. it is a real issue when I have to download several puplets because they are the only ones with certain apps.
another related request for the developers of the coolest puplets, please make some of the cool stuff you are doing available to the rest of us in the form of .pets. you guys are doing some of the greatest things, but they only come in your puplets. if you compile a killer app for your puplet please take the time to turn it into a .pet.
thanks for listening!
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

ecomoney

#151 Post by ecomoney »

9.5/10 computer users are used to the way that windows does things. That is it autoconfigures things like a graphical way of setting the screen resolution, it connects to ethernet automatically, and it "does something" when a cd/dvd/pendrive/wireless key is inserted. Most users expect this behaviour, and if it is missing (as in Puppy), then this is a drawback/disadvantage/incompleteness. Anyone who has spent time with average computer users trying to get them to use puppy will have seen this countless times.

I dont doubt that for those who know how, doing these things manually is preferable to them...its just that most dont...yet. Puppy Linux, being open, does give them the opportunity to learn about the internal workings of the computer should they wish to. The developers of other more popular linux's (i.e. Ubuntu) have already realised this and this is why they enjoy a larger linux Market share than us at the moment.

By default, Puppy, as a Linux for "Linux Newbies", needs to do these things automatically if that number above is going to be reduced still further before Micro$haft ties everyones hands with patents.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

37fleetwood

#152 Post by 37fleetwood »

I'm pretty sure I disagree with you on all points. I have owned a computer since 1984, my first computer was a Tandy Color Computer. I then moved up to a Tandy Model 3. I think I have been in the position of learning how to do things for myself on a computer that doesn't do it for you. I don't think manually configuring a computer is ever coming back as the way things are going to head. it is desirable that a computer accomplish most of the non job related functions required. most will consider it reasonable that there are steps required to reach goals, most, however, do not want to have to set up their own networking etc.

here is my take on things, their are two groups of people. group 1 is the vast majority of people who have computers just want to get the jobs they do done with as little actual work as is possible. the other group, group 2, is the group that is mainly responsible for the development of software such as Linux. this group really likes to know what is going on and likes configuring things and troubleshooting problems.
the problem arises when the folks from group 2 make the mistake in thinking that people in group 1 will want to know what makes their computer work when in fact they really really don't want to know.
as far as computer software goes I belong firmly in the group that just wants it to work and leave everything else to the wonderful people in group 2. as far as photography is concerned, I'm in group 2 and understand the rest of you are in group 1. I don't figure you want to know about aspherical lenses or spheric aberration, or how an appochromatic lense works to reduce chromatic aberration.
so I guess I'm one of the idiots who is ruining Linux, but consider when next you take your car to the shop, it's because you belong to group 1 as far as the inner working of your car goes.
thanks for puppy Linux, please keep up the fabulous work!
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

ecomoney

#153 Post by ecomoney »

Thats what makes Puppy Linux such a challenging project, its made for people from group one (the people who just want their computer to work and dont care how), by people from group 2 (those who know and care a lot about the internals of how Linux works, but already know how to use the basic function). The problem here exists because their is little incentive for the people from group 2 to automate these functions for group 1.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

Aitch

#154 Post by Aitch »

The problem here exists because their is little incentive for the people from group 2 to automate these functions for group 1.
my 2 penceworth....

I think the word 'demand' comes to mind

Some people both group 1 & 2 demand more

but it sometimes/oft-times causes people to 'switch off'

When demand is request, things generally improve, in my experience

Large quantities of requests for the same thing/function/use usually bring about change.....

Personally, I dread being automated

....or am I in a spaceship again...? :wink:

Aitch :)

alejol

My wish list for Puppy 5

#155 Post by alejol »

Sorry, I know that many people think that Windows is the evil.

But I think that the majority of users are comfortable with the Windows GUI, and that is not a good thing to reinvent the wheel.

The things I like were in Pupy are:

1) A directory-tree with two panel file manager. I do not say to replace ROX. But will be nice if a file manager
like Windows 95 Explorer were in the desktop.

2) More internationalization: help files in various languages, no more complaints about non-UTF8 characters.

3) Internal disks will be mounted at boot time. An attempt to open a desktop link pointing to a disk not mounted, automatically must mount that disk. Icons in desktop must be persistent.

4) No more problems when installing RPM or DEB packages; better library search and automatic install of missing files. When an user application were installed, an icon in desktop must be created.
(I lost much time looking for where programs were; for a non-technical user, it is impossible)

Well, I know that this list is difficult to realize.

And really I much appreciate the work of Barry and all partners.
[/list]