Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Dec 2014, 13:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
wish list for next puppy release
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 15 of 23 [336 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
willem1940NLD

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jul 2010, 09:57    Post subject:  

Present Menu List in facilities like "open with"; same in browsers (for media players etc.).

Same in (pet) "Startmount", programs tab.

Examples: I would like to have skype and pidgin always automatically starting up with Puppy.
nitrofurano

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jul 2010, 08:34    Post subject: some problems after full install  

-multiuser configuration: when doing full install, the puppylinux on hd is logged in defaultly as root, when shouldn't - also a simple tool for adding, editing and removing users is very welcome

-xdm or similar: puppylinux needs a login display, maybe gdm is too heavy for a distro like PuppyLinux, xdm (or other even lighter) would be more appropriated - optionally, an automatic login (without having to type login and password, just like on Ubuntu)

-timeout on grub: grub on PuppyLinux has no timeout, which remains ad aeternum on that grub display...
nitrofurano

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jul 2010, 09:42    Post subject:
Subject description: JWM config files better organized

would be great if next PuppyLinux comes with better arrangement of JWM config files:
- ~/.jwmrc only with <Include> and <StartupCommand> entry tags, calling files from '~/.jwm/' directory
- in '~/.jwm/' directory, files like 'config', 'keybindings', 'menu', 'startupitems' and 'theme'
willem1940NLD

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug 2010, 06:02    Post subject:  

Read about "Firefly", kind of confusing name since it seems to (have) be(en) used for more than 1 program.

I mean the filebrowser addon, rather bêta, which was sometimes mentioned for firefox 3/down.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3076/

I have been hoping for quite some time that a (small) linux distro would appear built around both Firefox and VLC player (so far not really friendly with each other even).

Maybe the Puppy designers could spend some thought to it?
ragaman

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug 2010, 23:52    Post subject:  

I wish that the next puppy release will full Bluetooth utilities that work.
Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010, 17:45    Post subject:  

willem1940NLD wrote:
I have been hoping for quite some time that a (small) linux distro would appear built around both Firefox and VLC player (so far not really friendly with each other even).

Try this

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/tag/vlc%20mozilla%20plugins

[Doesn't work with 3.6.8]

Aitch Smile
willem1940NLD

PostPosted: Mon 09 Aug 2010, 18:49    Post subject:  

Aitch wrote:
willem1940NLD wrote:

Try this

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/tag/vlc%20mozilla%20plugins

[Doesn't work with 3.6.8]

Aitch Smile
Outdated;
Quote:
Not available for your platform
Not available for Firefox 3.6.6

But I already disposed of the VLC pet. Recent VLC does not work well with ALSA and older VLC are of less use.
Aitch

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 12:20    Post subject:  

Prompted by this response....

steven_e007 wrote:
There's a manual?!!! Shocked

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=445779#445779

YES!! A Manual!

http://www.puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Manual-English.htm

Big thanks to Grant/Smokey01!!

Psst....any chance of updating it from 4.1.2, smokey?

Is it possible to make this 'Puppy Manual' info available on screen where people download, or actually within a new puppy, even if only as a link....& even if the user can't get online, as they may still have access to the net elsewhere, to help them with many questions which crop up trying to get something unfamiliar sorted

Seems like a good idea....surprised it's not more well focused on/referred to

Aitch Smile
willem1940NLD

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 12:35    Post subject:  

"Updating" even from 501 to 510, gives (small) differences with clean install.

510 meantime has a working VLC pet.
smokey01

PostPosted: Fri 27 Aug 2010, 17:45    Post subject:  

Aitch wrote:

YES!! A Manual!

http://www.puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Manual-English.htm

Big thanks to Grant/Smokey01!!

Psst....any chance of updating it from 4.1.2, smokey?

It's coming and based on 5.1

Aitch

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug 2010, 13:43    Post subject:  

In an email exchange....

Aitch wrote:
What do you think of my suggestion to have a link to 'your' manual within new/existing puppies?

Smokey01 wrote:
I like the idea and I guess if the developers agree then it will happen

Had to post it Grant, as its too important to remain hidden, IMHO, hope that's OK with you?

Now the devs have no excuse

Puppy Users: Add your support to get the manual or at least a link included in puppy releases - it just MAY help some noobs get [more] things working, thanks

Aitch Smile
technosaurus

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug 2010, 12:10    Post subject:  

Any distro hoppers out there wanting to help out, so that we don't reinvent the wheel?

Austrumi is another light distro worth checking out for some goode ideas
http://cyti.latgola.lv/ruuni/#

Tiny Core isn't really a "distro" but more of a build base (with currently no distros worth mentioning based on it ), however most of their *.tcz files will work with Puppy if you rename them to *.sfs - try out some of their stuff, you may find a gem. ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/

Slitaz uses the same backend as puppy for many of their GUIs (gtkdialog). Maybe some of the Slitaz "box apps" can find their way into Puppy. http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/cookbook/slitaz-tools.html

Goblinx used to use gtkdialog but has become imagineos and I can't seem to find the gtkdialog scripts posts - maybe the last release iso of goblinx has them?

once a distro gets above ~200mb they seem to dump gtkdialog in favor of pygtk (its not any slower than gtkdialog - just larger), but we do have some relatively small and fast alternatives:
yad/zenity
gtk-server
Xdialog
so if you create/find/know of any good implementations of those - please point them out in one of the development threads

jwm setups - we had this discussion in the Pupngo thread and determined that each configuration type should probably have its own dot file and an include for it, to make external configuration and backups easier to handle

as for xdm - all that is needed is a GUI script that has all those inputs
... just add the script into the .xinitrc in place of the window manager
I did this before with Xdialog and 3 lines of code - can't find it now but I think I posted it in one of the multiuser pup threads

multiuser ..."puppylinux on hd is logged in defaultly as root, when shouldn't" - I disagree - on first login you will more likely than not, need to do changing/configuring/installing of some kind - this allows you to get those necessities done and then it is up to you to stay as root or not for current and subsequent sessions... but standard puppy isn't really designed for that anyways - only grafpup and pizzasgood's pupplets AFAIK
is autologinroot the issue?

.4fs and extensions - some extensions are specific to puppy and require updates to files in /usr/share/mime, but for many things you can right click on a file and it will let you set run action to a program/script name or adapt a similar script

autostart - to make a program autostart just make a symlink to its executable in /root/Startup (or $HOME/Startup for multiuser systems) It wouldn't be too hard to throw together a gui for this, but I thought Zigbert already had it in the Puppy Control Center.

SXiPRATEEK

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug 2010, 13:43    Post subject: hardisk backup software which support GUI
Subject description: hardisk backup software which support gui

i wish for hardisk backup /restore / view software capabel of partition cloning & copy restore mbr

with GUI.

currently i am using drive snapshot(298kb) www.drivesnapshot.de/en/
it is working fine & fast
but it works only from windows.
so if a opensource alternative which suport cross platform

thanks
SXiPRATEEK

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug 2010, 13:45    Post subject: wallpaper & taskbar menu & theme icons are not appealing  

the wallpaper used in 5.x & theme icons used & taskbar is not so appealing as in previous version.
SXiPRATEEK

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug 2010, 13:48    Post subject: preloaded wine will increase its value & popularity  

puppy has everything but if wine is preloaded then it will me much better

thanks
Page 15 of 23 [336 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: