wish list for next puppy release

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
gcmartin

#316 Post by gcmartin »

Is this member, @Darry1966, asking about the possibility to do something similar to what Knoppix does and has been doing since 2006, where, its single ISO can boot either a 32bit or a 64bit orientation based on user selection? Are not the Knoppix kernels different for boot-time selection by the user?

If this kind of technology is employed in a given PUP, wouldn't that PUP allow the user to select which the system should use when booting?

And, would the Puppy developer load reduce when a single developer provides several versions, say nonPAE, PAE, 64bit versions of the same desktops?

Your Thoughts on this.

jamesbond

#317 Post by jamesbond »

gcmartin wrote:Is this member, @Darry1966, asking about the possibility to do something similar to what Knoppix does and has been doing since 2006, where, its single ISO can boot either a 32bit or a 64bit orientation based on user selection? Are not the Knoppix kernels different for boot-time selection by the user?
Not speaking of behalf of darry1996, but I believe he wants to be able to swap kernels on an installed puppy.
And, would the Puppy developer load reduce when a single developer provides several versions, say nonPAE, PAE, 64bit versions of the same desktops?
What makes you think so? What's your logic that preparing 3 versions of the same stuff "reduces the load"? Your thoughts on this.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

darry1966

#318 Post by darry1966 »

jamesbond wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Is this member, @Darry1966, asking about the possibility to do something similar to what Knoppix does and has been doing since 2006, where, its single ISO can boot either a 32bit or a 64bit orientation based on user selection? Are not the Knoppix kernels different for boot-time selection by the user?
Not speaking of behalf of darry1996, but I believe he wants to be able to swap kernels on an installed puppy.

Correct. I understand the limitations of old Puppies and newer kernels however the thread I quoted used a method that surely could be more effiently done with a program which automates the process more. which was my original point. I don't expect pup4 to work with a Precise kernel.

The point about non-Puppy kernels understood.

Puppus Dogfellow

#319 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

if this feature exists i'm unaware of it, but it would be nice to be able to call up a list of all open windows and be able to switch to, resize, move, or reposition them through some sort of gui, one perhaps using one or more of the following tools:

wmctrl-1.07-6_i386.pet, xdotool-2.20110530.1.tar.gz, xwit-3.4.pet,
xbindkeys-1.8.3-i486.pet, xprop-1.0.3-w5c.pet, xbindkeys-config_0.1.3-2_i386.deb, xprop_DOC-1.0.3-w5c.pet.

a popup that lets you access the window to use it or subject it to the right click windows menu would be sufficiently cool.

technosaurus

#320 Post by technosaurus »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:if this feature exists i'm unaware of it, but it would be nice to be able to call up a list of all open windows and be able to switch to, resize, move, or reposition them through some sort of gui, one perhaps using one or more of the following tools:

xbindkeys-1.8.3-i486.pet, xprop-1.0.3-w5c.pet, xbindkeys-config_0.1.3-2_i386.deb, xprop_DOC-1.0.3-w5c.pet.

a popup that lets you access the window to use it or subject it to the right click windows menu would be sufficiently cool.
I assume you mean something different than jwm's pager and the window itself which let you do all of that with relative ease. Are you looking for something that autofits the windows to how tabbed window managers like dwm work?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Puppus Dogfellow

#321 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

technosaurus wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:if this feature exists i'm unaware of it, but it would be nice to be able to call up a list of all open windows and be able to switch to, resize, move, or reposition them through some sort of gui, one perhaps using one or more of the following tools:

I assume you mean something different than jwm's pager and the window itself which let you do all of that with relative ease. Are you looking for something that autofits the windows to how tabbed window managers like dwm work?
is the pager a section on the taskbar? if so, yes, i mean something that can pop up and give you a list of all open windows and the desktops they're on.

if the pager is something different (i was using puppy for over three years before i realized F12 gets you the right click menu :roll: so i'm asking in earnest) than that area and can do that, can you point it out to me? :lol:

maybe a simpler way of looking at it would be a gui for that wmctrl program, but i had something more puppy-specific in mind, not that a task list is all that original. yet another way to look at it, a pop up like disciple has done with his book marks script, something that spreads the info out more comfortably than the line at the bottom of the screen does.

i'm not familiar with dwm--i like jwm and kind of want to just stick with it. i do enough fiddling around as it is...

i guess autotiling, auto stacking or cascading ...wouldn't want you programmers to run out of things to do.

:D

MochiMoppel

#322 Post by MochiMoppel »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:it would be nice to be able to call up a list of all open windows and be able to switch to ... them through some sort of gui
Would be easy using wmctrl, so my suggestion would be to include wmctrl in future Puppy releases. I agree that currently it's difficult to switch to an application that you know is running when you don't know which desktop it is running on.

greengeek

#323 Post by greengeek »

In a future puppy I would like to see the ability to 'reserve' certain storage drive designations (eg: sdd1, sdm1, sdp1 etc) for specific purposes, and then have specific USB sticks mounted (by UUID) to each device name:
eg:
- save sdm1 designation to be allocated to whichever UUID number specified my Music stick
- save sdd1 designation to be allocated to whichever UUID number specified my "documents" stick
- save sdp1 designation to be allocated to whichever UUID number specified "Peters" data stick

This might allow various types of bookmarks to connect to specific hardware devices by UUID without having to worry about the fact that you can't normally control whether puppy calls a specific usb device sdb1, sdc1 or sdd2 (things change depending on the puppy version, or depending on connection sequence of hubs/devices etc)

Probably necessitate a mod to pmount and/or drive_all???

rcrsn51

Re: wish list from a brand new user

#324 Post by rcrsn51 »

mekalu2k4 wrote:3. Printer: I happened to experiment with Ubuntu last week. Adding (identification of) printer is very simple, I would say much better than Windows. CUPS in puppy is fine, but could not detect a few network printers on the network (we tried in my wife's office, where they have several network printers all over). Then CUPS is not really intuitive as Ubuntu at least as we felt.
Ubuntu also uses CUPS, but they hide it from the user with a lot of front-end code. Ubuntu also has many printer drivers built-in, which is one reason that it is so much bigger than Puppy.

I looked through your various posts and could not find any where you asked for help with printing. So what are you wishing for? If you don't identify the problem, there is no way to fix it.

Darth.Severus

#325 Post by Darth.Severus »

I'm using Precise 5.7.1 right now.

* Shell which accepts copy & paste etc. as standard!!! - e.g. roxterm
* Why Seamonkey? Firefox please.
* Login Screen with the right keyboard language (someone encrypts his installation, then after reboot the password is not working! Bad start!)
* glipper in startup, c&p was always a mess to me using GNU+Linux, but this helps a bit.
* More automatic updates, especially security related! I wrote a script to check for a new flash version. It's crazy never to update stuff. BTW "Get Flash Installer" never worked for me.
* I recall to have read a file about hardening Puppy Linux, maybe some of such stuff could become standard. Like not be able to trick xlock by using str+alt+backspace
* I plan to create a little version of Puppy which does an automatic file system check of all encrypted .2fs-files. I hope this could be automatically created in the same directory when someone uses an encrypted .2fs-file. When he chooses the checkfilesystems.2fs at startup then it does the rest. When I had this problem the first time it made me crazy, and it still bothers me every time I need to check such a file.
* ziggy should be the standard Puppy Package Manager, it's easier to use.
* When I mark something in ROX, I can see in glipper that I have the URL in my cache, but I can't use this directly to paste it somewhere. This should be working, it's a great function of ROX.
* Higher entropy as standard - haveged and randomsound installed
* Every new program should appear in the start menue

I like Puppy moste of the time, but especially the security and update issues makes me hard to recommend it to GNULx newbies.

RSH

#326 Post by RSH »

Shell which accepts copy & paste etc. as standard!!!
Just highlight the text you want to copy into the terminal and then do a mouse-middle-click into the terminal after this.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

Darth.Severus

#327 Post by Darth.Severus »

RSH wrote:
Shell which accepts copy & paste etc. as standard!!!
Just highlight the text you want to copy into the terminal and then do a mouse-middle-click into the terminal after this.
Ah, great! However, would be great if strg+V or strg+shift+V would also work.

EDIT: btw, this is a good example for the weird c&p in GNULx. Middle click has other values than what I get when I use strg+V or strg+shift+V. In Roxterm I can use both, but I get different inputs.
However, great to know the "trick" with middle click. Thanks.

Darth.Severus

#328 Post by Darth.Severus »

I'm writing little scripts in my own. I would publish my puppy scripts, but I'm using a very exotic language so far and I'll have to learn the Puppy way first.

However here are some more ideas:

- I wrote a script which automatically copies files from spot to root, if the directory in /spot has the same name.: eg. /root/spot/ebooks > /root/ebooks
This maybe a security or usability problem in some cases, but I think it can be useful. I'm just trying it out, and will optimize it.
Maybe also a script which cleans downloaded html from scripts, then such files could be opened with a non-spot Browser when clicking at them.

- The most important thing for me would be a program which stops the system from freezing. I tried to write a script which kills my browser and if this doesn't help the program which needs the most resources. I failed, have to do it better when I have time for it. It's embarrassing that I have to kill my Puppy from time to time by power off switch.
In ideal case there should be something which automatically limits programs from using to much resources, especially if there are none left.

- When I downloaded some file with Firefox, I can't open the download directory. Ok for me now, but bad for users changing from another OS. Planning to write some handler for that.

- When I want to move files from one window to another, right now I cant switch to the other window while holding a file with my mouse. In AntiX Linux with IceWM I could switch windows by touching the other window in the taskbar, while I was holding a file. Maybe it's a problem of JWM.

MochiMoppel

#329 Post by MochiMoppel »

Darth.Severus wrote:When I want to move files from one window to another, right now I cant switch to the other window while holding a file with my mouse
Alt+Tab

Moat

#330 Post by Moat »

Darth.Severus wrote: I tried to write a script which kills my browser and if this doesn't help the program which needs the most resources.
If you can still open a terminal and the mouse works, the application "xkill" might work for you. Or the command "restartwm", to restart the desktop instead of a full reboot.
Darth.Severus wrote:- When I downloaded some file with Firefox, I can't open the download directory.
Adding this line to the defaults.list in /usr/share/applications might do the trick for the Firefox problem -

Code: Select all

inode/directory=ROX-Filer-file-manager.desktop
Bob

someSven

#331 Post by someSven »

Thanks for the hints, some of them are usefull, but I'm not talking how stuff works, but that it should be easier or happen automatically.
Alt+Tab
Thanks, but both should be working, if possible.
If you can still open a terminal and the mouse works, the application "xkill" might work for you. Or the command "restartwm", to restart the desktop instead of a full reboot.
No, I often get the problem of a complete freeze. My script is also not working yet, gonna try to improve it when I've time for that. I would so or so prefer to limit the ressources of programs instead of killing them.

Found something else: My notebook is not shutting down or going to sleep mode when batteries are empty. Seriously? Yeah, there may be a program for that, but this should be in the standard distro. Especially if you think of the problem that puppy can't fsck an encrypted filesystem at startup.

nubc

#332 Post by nubc »

Rolling release Puppy based on Manjaro 0.8.10 -Xfce, -Openbox, or -Net (minimal). Develop the derivative in beta until Manjaro 1.x comes out.

linuxcbon

#333 Post by linuxcbon »

ok some wishes :

- when installing to hard disk, it would be good to install a grub or syslinux or a bootloader.
- add steam by default (for games) , yes I know it's not open source and cannot be compiled...but would attract people to linux
- keyboard start menu key should work ! it's not right now...(solved)

...edited because I changed my mind and also solved one prob.
Last edited by linuxcbon on Sun 25 Oct 2015, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

ASRI éducation

#334 Post by ASRI éducation »

linuxcbon wrote:- add steam by default (for games)
What is steam?
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

Colonel Panic

#335 Post by Colonel Panic »

linuxcbon wrote:ok some wishes :

- don't include abiword. It's buggy, it doesnt open or save my doc documents with images properly ...
- include firefox instead of seamonkey ? (ok I don't see many differences but people are used to firefox).
- when installing to hard disk, it would be good to install a grub or syslinux or a bootloader.
- add steam by default (for games) , yes I know it's not open source and cannot be compiled...but would attract people to linux
- keyboard start menu key should work ! it's not right now...
I agree with most of that, but the advantage of seamonkey over firefox is that it includes a basic e-mail program. (So does Opera, although the latest versions unfortunately aren't compatible with Puppy or even Linux; still, Opera 12.16 is pretty good).

Puppy also comes with Grub by default.