wish list for next puppy release

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
amj

#361 Post by amj »

I would like to suggest a small expansion of the JWM configuration manager.

There are currently six options, the one I miss is the opportunity to change, via a GUI, the fonts that JWM uses.

I'm an English speaker an use an EN locale, but I also have large numbers of files with non-latin names.

Whenever I install a Puppy/Quirky system, I install a unicode font and then edit /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme in order to change the font for Window style, Task List style and Popup style so that my non-latin file names will display correctly in JWM windows and on the panel.

As a Puppy newbie in 2009 I had no trouble installing a unicode font and getting a correct display of non-latin file names throughout Puppy - except for JWM. I put up with gibberish on window headers and the panel for a long time before finally hunting down the configuration file I needed to hack to fix the problem.

LazY Puppy

#362 Post by LazY Puppy »

Changes made into /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme will disappear next time when changing the JWM theme.

Better find out what's the original of /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme (to be found in /root/.jwm/themes) and doing the changes in original theme file (also).

I think this may be also the cause why there' isn't a option to change fonts from within JWM configuration manager, as there could be different ways used to set the font related to the theme definition file in /root/.jwm/themes?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

steff99

X Precise 64?

#363 Post by steff99 »

Hi How about X- precise 64?
X -precise was the easiest possible puppy to use. it would run almost anything, had a frisbee connection manager, and was so simple to use, I could use it with my eyes closed.

Precise is amazing, in fact puppy is amazing. it fills the huge gap in the OS market very well, especially for people with older machines, people who transport their OS around the world, and people who like to run in ram.

the problem is that ram is becoming very easy to come by.
most people have 16gb of ram and even that is starting to increase.

puppy fills the void for slower machines, but what about the faster, powerful machines?

I download fatdog 64 recently but I ran into a torrent of problems trying to install 64 bit apps. fatdog made a good attempt at it, but I simply could find all the apps in the repo, and I ended up trying to run slacko 14.1 versions, with limited results.

fatdog, - or anydog, particularly precise with an xfce desktop and thunar manager would be a very powerful but simple OS to use.
and the 64bit version would allow people to copy and paste large file into ram much more easily.

Wildman69

X86

#364 Post by Wildman69 »

My Hardware is old yet reliable and I can not afford a new 64 bit computer.
I am unable to boot the new "uefi" ISOs.

So Please do not leave out Folks like me.

I don't want to go back to "WinBlows".

My System:
PC Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
Product Name: GN578AA-ABA SR5233WM

Motherboard Vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product Name: Lancaster8

BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: 5.19
Release Date: 03/04/2008

Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
Max Speed: 2800 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:2800 MHz, 1:2800 MHz

Frequency governor : ondemand
Freq. scaling driver : acpi-cpufreq

Total RAM: 3028 MB

Linux Kernel: 4.9.13 (i686)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 9 09:27:40 GMT 2017
PAE Enabled: No

Distro: wildman69pup 7.0.6
Window Manager: JWM v2.3.5

Thank You.
HAND

Robert123

#365 Post by Robert123 »

Hi Wildman.

Have you looked at this still being developed.
https://archive.org/details/s57-2017b
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

ttuuxxx

Re: X86

#366 Post by ttuuxxx »

Wildman69 wrote:My Hardware is old yet reliable and I can not afford a new 64 bit computer.
I am unable to boot the new "uefi" ISOs.

So Please do not leave out Folks like me.

I don't want to go back to "WinBlows".

My System:
PC Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
Product Name: GN578AA-ABA SR5233WM

Motherboard Vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product Name: Lancaster8

BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: 5.19
Release Date: 03/04/2008

Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
Max Speed: 2800 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:2800 MHz, 1:2800 MHz

Frequency governor : ondemand
Freq. scaling driver : acpi-cpufreq

Total RAM: 3028 MB

Linux Kernel: 4.9.13 (i686)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 9 09:27:40 GMT 2017
PAE Enabled: No

Distro: wildman69pup 7.0.6
Window Manager: JWM v2.3.5

Thank You.
HAND
have you tried stretch? http://smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/WoofCe/stretch-7.0.0a1.iso
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

8Geee

#367 Post by 8Geee »

Wildman69 :o)

What video (card) or chipset do you have running in that 'puter?

Most pups have Pup-Sys Info (PSI) in the menu. Click on the devices then display --> Video Info. (Thats the quick way)

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

8Geee

#368 Post by 8Geee »

On topic:

I would like to see migration away from OpenSSL, and towards LibreSSL.
Older puppies are already using three defunct versions of OpenSSL; 0.9.8, 1.0.0, and 1.0.1.
OpenSSL 1.0.2 still has SSL2/3 TLS1.0 code in it, that will cause problems.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Elena

#369 Post by Elena »

If I had one (bold) wish for Puppy Linux in 2018, then being able to run it in RAM on an ARM singleboard computer.

Personally, an EOMA68 computer card will arrive here soonish (so it's a kinda selfish wish :( ). But ODROID's are also fine and affordable, while Raspberry Pi's are agreeingly ubiquituous.

olddog

Re: X Precise 64?

#370 Post by olddog »

steff99 wrote:Hi How about X- precise 64?
X -precise was the easiest possible puppy to use. it would run almost anything, had a frisbee connection manager, and was so simple to use, I could use it with my eyes closed.

Precise is amazing, in fact puppy is amazing. it fills the huge gap in the OS market very well, especially for people with older machines, people who transport their OS around the world, and people who like to run in ram.

the problem is that ram is becoming very easy to come by.
most people have 16gb of ram and even that is starting to increase.

puppy fills the void for slower machines, but what about the faster, powerful machines?

I download fatdog 64 recently but I ran into a torrent of problems trying to install 64 bit apps. fatdog made a good attempt at it, but I simply could find all the apps in the repo, and I ended up trying to run slacko 14.1 versions, with limited results.

fatdog, - or anydog, particularly precise with an xfce desktop and thunar manager would be a very powerful but simple OS to use.
and the 64bit version would allow people to copy and paste large file into ram much more easily.
A very belated welcome to Planet Earth where, two years after you posted, most people still DON'T have 16GB of RAM, and many computers can't handle half or even a quarter of that.

And that is especially true of many Puppy users who like to run Puppy on older machines.

I have eight computers in working order. One can handle 32GB, but has 8. Two can handle 8, but have 4. Two can handle 4, and have 4 and 2. Three can handle 2, and have 0.5. 1.5, and 2.

I don't claim to be typical, but I should be surprised if Puppy users as a whole ran 6GB of RAM, let alone 16.
Linux novice with too many Thinkpads, mainly running Xenialpup
HP Laserjet Pro 1102W

s243a

#371 Post by s243a »

olddog wrote: I don't claim to be typical, but I should be surprised if Puppy users as a whole ran 6GB of RAM, let alone 16.
On the machine that I have the most ram 8gb, I run windows with puppy as the guest in a virtual machine and windows 8.1 as the host.

Burn_IT

#372 Post by Burn_IT »

I would try that the other way round. You might be surprised.

I have always done it the other way round as it enabled me to have a "portable" full Windows install that I could use on client machines to repair their systems.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

6502coder

#373 Post by 6502coder »

olddog wrote:A very belated welcome to Planet Earth where, two years after you posted, most people still DON'T have 16GB of RAM, and many computers can't handle half or even a quarter of that.

And that is especially true of many Puppy users who like to run Puppy on older machines.
So true. steff99 had me ROTFL. I have 5 Puppies/Puppys in routine use on 3 different computers, NONE of which have more than 1 GB RAM. Extreme as that is, I bet I'm still much closer to the average Puppy user than stef99.

mikeslr

Barebones

#374 Post by mikeslr »

I don't know if Woof or wiak's Gui can already do this. But,

Just a barebones of any flavor Puppy, perhaps having as "User-Apps" only a terminal and geany; but having access to a repo and all the necessary infra-structure applications for a user to take it from that state to wherever (s)he wants.

zagreb999

#375 Post by zagreb999 »

regards 6502coder

on my lenovo 1gb ram stretchdog and euclid5.iso
work with firefox 56 as- on my hp 8gb ram!!!

remaster in 30 seconds,
firefox 56 loads in 1 second!

rufwoof

Re: Barebones

#376 Post by rufwoof »

mikeslr wrote:Just a barebones of any flavor Puppy, perhaps having as "User-Apps" only a terminal and geany; but having access to a repo and all the necessary infra-structure applications for a user to take it from that state to wherever (s)he wants.
The terminals can be relatively nice/functional with just a few relatively small programs. tmux (multiple windows, split windows into panes (that you can zoom/unzoom). cmus music player, mc file manager and text editor, lynx terminal web browser. For the rest, startx and dotpup (or sfs get).

Actual image of my ctrl-alt-F2 terminal (taken using fbcat/fbgrab). [I have video-800x600 kernel boot parameter hence the 'actual' image size].
Attachments
c.png
(18.43 KiB) Downloaded 639 times
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

oui

Re: Barebones

#377 Post by oui »

rufwoof wrote:
mikeslr wrote:Just a barebones of any flavor Puppy, perhaps having as "User-Apps" only a terminal and geany; but having access to a repo and all the necessary infra-structure applications for a user to take it from that state to wherever (s)he wants.
The terminals can be relatively nice/functional with just a few relatively small programs. tmux (multiple windows, split windows into panes (that you can zoom/unzoom). cmus music player, mc file manager and text editor, lynx terminal web browser. For the rest, startx and dotpup (or sfs get).

Actual image of my ctrl-alt-F2 terminal (taken using fbcat/fbgrab). [I have video-800x600 kernel boot parameter hence the 'actual' image size].
it's true. a lot of developers includes in their new puppy's/puplets some browsers don't useful for each one because the human is an custom animal... links2 is small (as small as lynx but can be used as graphic browser with pictures or without only in CLI). if you wish only a browser only for webpages (man pages in html code) you can use rhapsody if you find the source, it compile also easily in 64 version (ab. 70 kb!). it is old but this is no problem on simple html code in English. so no need to install a browser which the most users will not accept and making a need to desinstall (if in the list of desinstallable app's, it is not always so) and actualise all the pointers for a acceptable browser, tosay accepting HTML5 and youtube :idea: . better only rhapsody, links (CLI mode only) or links2 (4 mb like lynx :wink: but both CLI and graphic mode, in graphic mode with active pictures) as all the never more actual midori, light etc.

a barbone would make each puppy full environment more perfect and is an important intermediary step of development...

CLI app's well working in console:

- files and tree management with clex and or ranger (ranger with text previews! clex is useful to avoid to write long addresses in complex trees using F2)

- texteditor nano. nano is a bridge between CLI and gaphic mode as you can interchange with graphic mode app's using the mouse. experts in nano will probably never change it for a more complex editor. spell checking is possible. HTML 4 in CLI gives access to divers format codes without graphic mode. you can see the success in links / links2 !

- sc, the venerable spreadsheet, extremely small (for those rarely using an spreadsheet often fully enough! :idea: but not able to play with special char's from foreign languages)

- above named browsers

- didiwiki in those browsers :wink: (why not? start if necessary in cli didiwiki ; and after that in the browser invoque http://localhost: 8000 or 8080. you can build youself pages for your selfmade calender etc. didiwiki is a good smart writing editor with fat, italic, underlined writing stile and can also host pictures! Links / links2 and didiwiki are a wonderful base to work seriously in CLI! the text are compact and the saving happens in simple text format!

- cups, yes cups is simply using in CLI mode. save the *.ppd file of you own printer and you have a compact installation not needing some gutenprint filters. it is the perfect helper for didiwiki in links / links2 !

- alsa stuff!

- samba. yes samba does not really need some graphic mode!

hum ...

- also arachnee, the graphic browser in CLI linux systems through the svgalib ?

why not?

(I know: it is very difficult to be happy with the codes needing to manage the screen... a complete actualisation would be needing!)

- latex and all the stuff for professional writing and print books and long texts or music scores? why not? the German mathematician Emil did give us stuff at the murga-linux/puppy forum (take care, those *.sfs are very heavy!)

- development environments for a lot of program languages from basic and Forth to the most complex AI languages through really classical like C, Pascal etc. ...

we can do more in CLI mode as it's appear if you are not really attentive!

lvds

#378 Post by lvds »

Edit: post deleted by me, the JWMdesk suggestions have been submitted in the JWMdesk thread at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 61#1054561
and the others suggestions have been rewrote with additional content in another post here below.
Last edited by lvds on Fri 03 Apr 2020, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Moose On The Loose

#379 Post by Moose On The Loose »

I have started work on a bit of an odd project but a few ideas came up that I think others may want to add to their systems.

1) The initial boot uses an SFS with the absolute minimum to make a GUI that can be used. This is so you can rescue thing from a broken windows machine. All the rest is in a second or also perhaps a 3rd SFS. With this extra SFS you have a system that is "ready for prime time"

2) I have come up with a new "help" script that generates index pages on the fly so that any new feature added via an added SFS also can add its help to the help system. This means that the help offers help rather than having to search for the documentation. I intend to make this public soon.

3) The version should come with a web browser that works but can later be replaced or updated. Web browsers do change quite a lot but a system with no web browser can be pretty useless when the network is very constrained and also can be a reason for "I will just use Windows then"

4) When someone plugs in a camera or tablet or something else that does the MTP, an icon like the USB flash drive one should appear on the screen beside the hard drives and flash drives. Clicking on this should mount the device and bring it up for the standard file browsing of ROX. The user should not have to learn some new user interface for the device and certainly should not need to understand terms that they don't need to know to get the pictures from the camera or ever to put some music files on.

5) At some point I may publish my own "net neighborhoot" thing that works on SAMBA driven networks that are quite broken. I have a thing that is quite clunky but works for this. The idea is that you try multiple methods to find the servers and also remember what you found last time. This way you don't have to make a "NMB master browser" on the network that is a working Linux machine to be able to share files.

nic007

#380 Post by nic007 »

I think a logical step would be to exclude components from the base sfs which needs constant updating (like the internet browser). Just add those items as an adrv/ydrv, extra sfs's.