Splash me!
92%
Down with Splash Screens
8%

Total votes: 12

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#16 Post by nduanetesh »

I really like the idea of a splash screen, and I really like the idea of incorporating the original puppy into it. And I think the thing that's most disturbing about the current splash screen is that (at least on my monitor), it's a GIANT puppy head, with GIANT bulging eyes that seem to sear into my soul. And that's a little troubling. Are there any pics of the pup that are a little less...menacingly hypnotic? How 'bout something like a smaller puppy head amongst a crowd of penguins, to show puppy's special place among all of the other linux distros?

ND

JaDy

#17 Post by JaDy »

I voted for Splash Me! but with reservations.
Make it small. As small as possible. Maybe in ascii art.
And keep it persistent, scrolling messages in bottom half of screen.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

Pizzasgood

#18 Post by Pizzasgood »

Try this on for size. I still need to add some text (or maybe it doesn't need any, it depends on what everyone thinks).

Not only is it softer, it's darker, so it isn't a big contrast deal when you go from a black screen to the image. :wink:
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Sun 22 May 2005, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

dvw86

#19 Post by dvw86 »

The "Puppy god".

Pizzasgood

#20 Post by Pizzasgood »

I was actually thinking more along the lines of angel, but yeah. I was just messing with his head in Gimp, and it wound up all bright. Then I noticed the clouds filter, so I used that in the background. Then I got to the light filters. When I added a flare, it just happened to be behind Puppy. That's when I realized what I had created. From there, I just added some effects and stuff. If anyone cares, this is the un-dithered version. Maybe someone who knows more dithering tricks than I do can do a better job at that. It also makes a nice wallpaper.

The head was, uh, severed in Fireworks. The text was made by www.cooltext.com. The rest was done in Gimp.

The reason it is 640x400 instead 0f 640x480 is to leave room for the meter under it. I could re-do it at 640x480 if necessary, though. Oh, and I believe the actual image is stored in the goofy.16 file in the image.
See this thread for more info on this.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#21 Post by JohnMurga »

See here :

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1296#1296

For my contribution ...

Cheers
JohnM