Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Apr 2019, 00:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Puppy 2.18 support for Duo Core?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
divisionmd

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2007, 06:30    Post subject:  Puppy 2.18 support for Duo Core?
Subject description: Question to Puppy Developers

Hello, Very Happy

I dont know if this is a Barry question?

Will the next version of Puppy = Puppy 2.18 include support for Duo Core cpus?

And in that future release have some easy way for the user to select/enable to use booth CPUS.

Without having/forcing the user to re-compile the kernel manually to take advantage of the DUO cores.

Best regards,
Johan
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec 2007, 10:48    Post subject:  

Puppy 3.01 multisession DVD runs on my new computer with an Athlon 4800+ dual-core CPU. I don't know if Puppy is using all the potential, but it works.
benign

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2007, 11:32    Post subject:  

2.16 and 3.01 run on mine, and uname -a reports the system as i686
Everitt

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2007, 11:53    Post subject:  

The standard x86 kernel will (should!) always run on a duel core, but it simply won't use one of the cores. Not exactly ideal, but short of offering a huge confusing range of ISO's (no good for newbs), or a single huge ISO with multiple kernels there really isn't any way around it.
floborg

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2007, 20:09    Post subject:  

Everitt wrote:
The standard x86 kernel will (should!) always run on a duel core, but it simply won't use one of the cores. Not exactly ideal, but short of offering a huge confusing range of ISO's (no good for newbs), or a single huge ISO with multiple kernels there really isn't any way around it.

Why would that be necessary? An smp-enabled kernel doesn't work on single-core processors?

Anyway, somebody wrote that smp is coming after Puppy 4.0.
divisionmd

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec 2007, 09:45    Post subject:  

Hello all,

I was told that this command "/proc/cpuinfo" should show this (similar) if Puppy uses both CPU cores:

Code:
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 6
cpu MHz : 2411.705
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips : 4825.23
clflush size : 64

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 6
cpu MHz : 2411.705
cache size : 4096 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips : 4822.51
clflush size : 64

I have dual core PC and mine only shows one core, when typing that command.

I heard that you could patch the kernel manually to make it use both CPUS.

But i hope that the up-coming vesrion of Puppy would/will by (default) use both cores.

Best regards,
Johan
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec 2007, 15:41    Post subject:  

Maybe there's a kernel module you can add. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Smile
divisionmd

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec 2007, 12:12    Post subject: Kernel module
Subject description: Module

There probably is a kernel module but then i would need:

- an easy guide to download and install it

- and that it support puppy version 2.17

Or i can just wait for a new release of puppy that includes this (Puppy 2.1Cool Shocked

My HD movies requires alot of power and i need the CPU DUO core for that.

Best regards,
Johan
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec 2007, 16:22    Post subject:  

Barry says in his latest entry in his blog that he has compiled the latest (2.6 bla bla) kernel with multiprocessor support, to be in Dingo alpha3
purple_ghost

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec 2007, 19:42    Post subject: For Movie, Do you have Xorg enabled in the Video program?  

Are you using Gxine to play your movie?

Then File/Configure/Preferences

Change yourself to "Master of the Known Universe"

Then go to the Tab Video and set it to "xv"

Then restart Gxine. Try Movie again. Or maybe you are editing movies?

Please post your hardware specs and exactly which Video card you have , then someone might be able to suggest a better Video driver program, which is not my field of experience.

Best wishes.
divisionmd

PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec 2007, 13:19    Post subject: Hello
Subject description: Hello

Im using it to play movies, and i am building a special movie app player that needs dual core support.

So in order to make it work i must have dual core to play HD quality. Very Happy
purple_ghost

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2007, 11:44    Post subject: Places to go look for better video performance.  

If you are building an application, then you are probably more knowledgeable in the area of Video than I am. I know I had problems with jerky movies until I explicitly set the Gxine player to use the Video card instead of allowing it to default to using the CPU only to play the Video.

Raising the question of which Video card is your computer using and can a better driver for it be found? However that is out of my field of experience.

A number of others have commented on how much more often they use Mplayer rather than Gxine. Barry Kauler seems to aware of some of the difficulties which you are alluding to, and is trying to do something about it. http://puppylinux.com/blog/?paged=2 Has two comments about Video player difficulties and what he is trying to about them. Also notice that somewhere in the news that some guys are working to get an earlier version 2. something of Puppy upgraded with latest compiles of application programs. Which Barry says he is not working on, but this is a project that has his blessing. Perhaps you could make contact with those working on that project and see if they are working on a Dual CPU patch, or whatever is needed.

I recall seeing a note which touted the advantages of Clipx for editing Video, for which there is a LInux version. Of course you could search sourceforge for video software. Heck, I am getting off the subject. You are writing your own app.

I vaguely recall that to run a dual CPU that one must recompile the Kernel, which I have never contemplated doing. Usually when I post some of our better Linux types come in and correct all my miss-understandings. You might search through Barrys news blog for info on Dual CPU use. Also you might post on "Puppy Derivatives," I would guess nearly all those fellows have considered the issue and what is required to use a Dual CPU. I also suspect that part of the issue of finding out what you need on the forum is because the forum search engine does not work so well. You are not alone with this difficulty. Please let us know what you find out.
divisionmd

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec 2007, 17:43    Post subject:  ok
Subject description: ok

Thanks for answering!

Interesting that you can use Gxine to use the graphics card to accelerate the playback.

I will look into that blog you post, but who should i specifically contact/talk to there?

Take for instance the new flash player thats out there now that can play HD movies (.MP4).

The new flash player has a hardware feature that specifically uses dual core, so if Puppy 2.18 would include the new flash player and support for dual core then i am more than happy. And that would make a really cool HD movie Puppy on a stick!

I dont think any other player is needed. The application i am building is using the same features as flash player 9.

I would gladly fund a project that would do/make this change to puppy.

Best regards,
Johan
purple_ghost

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec 2007, 22:48    Post subject: Things to consider.  

Let me start off by apologizing. I am going to talk about some stuff you probably already know. Just, to be thorough, I can not assume what you know, even though it is probably more than me.

When one first starts Puppy, one is confronted with an option to select Xorg or Xvesa. Xvesa is a video driver which is dependant upon the main processor to do its work. To get real speed to drive a Video, one should use the Video card. Which means to install a driver for it. (Then Puppy automatically points to use that driver.) When one selects Xorg, and then a resolution, color settings and then Puppy automatically installs a generic Video driver for the card. There are additional Video card drivers available, depending on the Video Card. Some others for NIVIDIA are available as a DotPup. I have seen a mention that some more NIVIDIA drivers are available for purchase.

The first thing to do with your computer is to install the best Video driver for your Video Card. To that end. Maybe start a new post in which you describe what your Chip sets and Video card is, and ask someone to suggest what would be best for you. Like someone might have fought that dragon for your Video card. Or you could just limp along with whatever generic Xorg driver that Puppy installed.

Perhaps you might quit reading this post for a moment and just go to look at this. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=131375#131375

Which will directly describe how to get a copy of Flash 9 that will work in Puppy, and how to get it installed. Adobe Flash 9 does not show as a requirement that one must have Dual Core.

To understand some of the inner workings of the problem you face in trying to play Video. You might look at things like.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24563

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17335

I am getting out of my experience range here. My best computer is a P4, 1.5 Ghz, 756 RAM with a NIVIDIA Geforce card. Which is not supposed to fast enough to run Flash Nine.

The blog I mentioned is part of Barry Kaulers' news blog as to what he is working on day to day. I think he has disabled the feature to allow others to post, thanks to some jerks who wasted his time deleting ___ posts.

That particular post about Gxine and other video players mentions things like, Gxine, when run in full screen mode, has an annoying flicker every few seconds. However, you said you were not interested in running Gxine anyway.

If one starts at http://www.puppylinux.com/
Which is Barrys own page, then one can enter the most recent part of his news blog. There we see he has already released an alpha version of Puppy which will allow Dual Core support. I would hypothesize that the next version of Puppy will be released before Christmas. How much are you attached to using Puppy 2.18? As opposed to upgrading to a later version of Puppy.

The version of Puppy of 3.01 is based upon Slackware and therefore their repository is available for easy install into Puppy 3 plus.

Also notice there is a installer that should install anything from the Debian Repository. Nearly any Linux package seems to be available on the Debian Repository. I have never used it.

I am concerned that there might be other things you might want to consider before picking what you want to do next. Like, where are going to get the HD stuff that you want to play? Is this from a connection to a TV?

Anyway. If I were you, I would first start a new post and describe what your hardware is. What your Video card is. And ask what is the best driver for that card. Someone might have already trail blazed that part before you and can inform you on that item.

Then you might start another post and describe in more detail the totality of the project you want to finish. Meaning, in my mind, what the source of the High Def Video will be. There might be other issues, like codecs and decryption.

I do not recall where it is right now, there is a search facility for the Puppy forum that might be helpful for you to use in searching for terms like "Flash 9."

TeenPup is now listed at 2.14 and offers some additional things to play Videos. I notice a post http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23922
Where the guy who has created Teen Pup discusses issues with Flash.

Also there is an appllication in Teen Pup to run off of TV, which I can not test.

There is a DotPup to to "Setup 3d Graphics" or 3DCC.

Once again. To run a Dual Core Processor with Puppy 2 would require an alternate kernel to be compiled, and installed in an ISO. Or maybe copied onto the USB Flash drive. Some place Barry described how he compiles some of the earlier Kernels, sounds like it had a lot of details to be attended to.

The guys who surely know more than I would be those who have developed their own derived version of Puppy.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=35

While Teen Puppy is at Puppy Two, which is not Dual Core, it feels like what you are thinking of is something like the fellow with Teen Puppy is also trying to accomplish.

Mark, MU in the forum, now has a Muppy 008 beta, has somehow created some of the additional NIVIDIA drivers, as well as the Flash Nine Dot Pup you might choose to install.

Sorry I can not be more help.
purple_ghost

PostPosted: Sun 16 Dec 2007, 23:27    Post subject: One more  

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24530

Edit: 12-17-07

http://www.puppylinux.ca/members/Flash/

Oh cool. A working version of WINE for Puppy 3.01. This might be the answer if you get the next version of Puppy with Dual Core Support.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23653

WINE allows Windows programs to work inside Linux.
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: