Saving a current session of a DVD+RW - RESOLVED

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Scoticus

#1 Post by Scoticus »

As my current DVD+RW makes doz look like speedy gonzales I attempted to use the save button only to find that it did not do so.

I had booted up my DVD and added a lot of new information which I wanted saved and to be able to boot rather faster than presently.
When I started the save I did not have any DVD in the drive and when asked I inserted a blank disk but nothing happened. Checking with MUT only showed a totally blank disk.

Can someone please advise me where I am going wrong as I wish to have the benefits of a faster reboot with all my preferred.
Last edited by Scoticus on Sun 23 Dec 2007, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I have only done it this way: using burniso2cd, burn a new DVD with the same Puppy iso (or a later one, if you want to upgrade) then save or shut down with the new DVD in the drive. All your settings, etc., will be transferred to the new DVD. Try it out with a DVD+RW if you have one, to see how it works.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Scoticus

Saving a current session of a DVD+RW

#3 Post by Scoticus »

Flash

Firstly sorry to take so long in responding but I have ben having difficulty in firstly downloading the ISO and secondly finding time to follow your instructions.

I followed your instructions repetedly but at no time did they work. It seems to fall down when saving where the display mentions if the display appears to be stopped then check that the disk is entered and press enter.

In the first instance when this instruction shows it follows on with Burning data from previous DVD to first track and the cursor keeps blinking and blinking on and on. Eventually after a few minutes I give up and reboot the disk.

Rebooting starts me totally afresh and I am asked to set the country and screen settings but when this is done there is no sign of any earlier saved information.

Can you offer any other guidance as I do not want to have to totally start all over again. I have a lot of data on OO calc that I would not like to redo.
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

Scoticus

Saving a current session of a DVD+RW

#4 Post by Scoticus »

Flash

Gave it one last go and walked away from the system. As before it displayed the same messages but this time when I got back to the machine there was a third line of blue text showing and the DVD has popped out.

Looks like patience is the order of the day as I rebooted and my original settings were there. Will now check how the OpenOffice
information faired.

Once again many thanks for your guidance

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

I hope it worked. :) I don't know why there would be such a long pause. Perhaps it is because there is a lot to save to the new DVD.

Every DVD drive I've used has an LED on its front that lights up when the drive is actually burning something to a disk. I've never run from a laptop. Doesn't your drive do that?
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Scoticus

#6 Post by Scoticus »

Flash

You likely hit the nail in the head with your remark about size. Lobster's offering is quite large but has the one benefit that I particularly like of having OpenOffice.

I note that when booting up the new disk that it fairly rushes through the initial saved sessions but then spends some time with the original save file before it eventually moves on.

I get no hint other than the cursor showing activity. Everything worked perfectly well, so alls well that ends well.

Once again many thanks for all your assistance