Can't install "Opera 8.5" as alien package(Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
klhrevolutionist

stop

#16 Post by klhrevolutionist »

for one, you don't install the dotpup as an alien package.
If you install a dotpup it is a seperate installer/packager itself
You are trying to install it as an alien package with pupget, don't
some dotpups do have an option of registering with pupget
but apparently rarsa's opera.pup does'nt. <- I don't know for sure as I have'nt seen
nor use.
So, what have you learned?
Pupget, Dotpup are two different package manager's
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

rarsa

#17 Post by rarsa »

Mu,

Wow, this thread sure moved fast today.

Actually he did not have to comment the wget line, I am using wget -c which will continue a download. If he already downloaded it in full, wget will know this and won't try to download.

I actually point to this at the end of the install process. When my DotPup asks if it should delete the installer (tar.gz) it advises that if the user wants to install it in other computer, the file should not be deleted, It can be copied to /root in the second computer and the DotPup will skip the download.
Helpee wrote:Dear Rarsa, I am sorry if my using the word urgent got you this angy with me.
Do I look like an angry man? I was just trying to be very direct. I think that the more direct one is, the easier the communication.

I am glad that you were able to install the Opera 8.50. Actually you did not need to unzip the dotpup, Once you downloaded the installer, you could have executed the dotpup and it would have used your downloaded file.

I think that the main thing to worry here is "why did the download fail?".

My guess is that the Opera server was too busy. My script has a message that should show when there is a problem downloading but it has a problem:

I am executing the wget inside a xterm terminal to show progress. The problem is that if it fails, it returns the error code to that xterm, but the xterm returns 0 to my script. Is there a way to have the xterm return the same exit code as the wget?

here is the coresponding code

Code: Select all

# xterm -bg lightblue -e wget -c -P /root ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/850/final/en/i386/shared/opera-8.50-20050916.5-shared-qt.i386-en.tar.gz
# [ $? -eq 0 ] || showError "downloading"

Bruce B

#18 Post by Bruce B »

Yes, rasa, the Opera servers have done like a 1.5 million downloads the last few days, and it's not stopping.

Even I'm using Opera now and normally I don't even have it installed.

PS - it is not urgent that you read this, but it is imperative :wink:

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#19 Post by GuestToo »

there might be a way to return an error code from rxvt ... i've used a few workarounds for this problem, simply because it's quicker to write a workaround than to find the "right" answer

one workaround is to run wget from another script, that can create an error file that the first script can read ... a general-purpose script that any dotpup could use might be a good thing to be included with the Puppy distro ... something like:
wget "$@" || touch /tmp/wgeterror

with quotes and { brackets } it might be possible to run it without needing a second script

what i usually do is check the md5sum of the downloaded file ... if it's ok, it doesn't need to be downloaded ... if it's not ok, wget -c tries to finish the download and tests the md5sum again ... if the md5sum is not ok, then it didn't finish downloading properly ... this works around the problem, and makes sure the file downloaded perfectly too

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Ian »

I'm going to mark this as solved as it looks like Opera is installed and working.

rasa have you tried the -o option.