Chubby Puppy on CD with pup001 on a 512 USB Memory Stick

Booting, installing, newbie
dewdrop

Chubby Puppy on CD with pup001 on a 512 USB Memory Stick

#1 Post by dewdrop »

Normally, I run Chubby Puppy from a 2 1/2" CD (210MB) with the pup001 file on the C: area of a hard drive.

I have the capability of swapping out hard drives (when the computer is completely shut off).

Today, I wondered if I could copy the pup001 file to a USB Memory Stick, and load the pup001 file from it while there was no hard drive installed on the computer.

I began the setup with no hard drive on the machine, and the CD with Chubby Puppy in the CD drive, and the USB memory stick unplugged.

I turned on the machine and Puppy loaded then came to a halt asking questions about where to find pup001......at this point I inserted the USB Memory Stick and typed sda1 and hit return.

After a short time, my usual Chubby Puppy desktop appeared and I was ready to use Puppy.

I then unplugged the USB Memory Stick, unmounted the CD drive, and removed the CD with Chubby Puppy on it.

Anyone else try this kind of arrangement?

raffy

Novel

#2 Post by raffy »

Sounds novel, especially using Chubby Puppy. The unusual part is your unplugging of the USB stick while Puppy is running. How did it turn out when you shut down your PC?

dewdrop

No Hard Drive

#3 Post by dewdrop »

Hi Raffy,

I haven't shut off the machine since I started the configuration described in my initial post.

I will be shutting off the machine in an hour or so - with the USB stick unplugged - and see what happens. I'll edit this post with the results.

What I expect is that any changes I make will not be saved - I might try to save something to the "My Documents" directory, for example. Like these posts as a Open Office Document.

Dewdrop

EDIT: I have shut the machine off after copying the previous messages on this thread and saving them to the My Document directory. When I restarted Puppy - without the Hard Drive or USB Memory Stick installed, the document I had previously "saved" to the My Document directory was no where to be found. This tells me, as Ian has pointed out, if you want it saved, get it to the memory stick, or it's gone.

Now, what installations of this type would benefit from this kind of installation? Internet Cafe, comes to mind. Any others?
Last edited by dewdrop on Mon 26 Sep 2005, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Ian »

I quite often hot plug USB pen drives that have Puppy installed and loop mount the pup100 file to get data stored on them then unmount and unplug the USb drive with no ill affects so far.

This is only my experience not a recommendation.