HowTo: Set up GRUB to boot from HD or CD

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your line "root (hd0,1)" implies that the files are on the second partition of the first hard drive, because GRUB's numbering system starts at 0. Also, are the files in /root or /boot? I suspect that the GRUB entry you need is:

title Boot from CD
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/grub/memdisk.bin
initrd /boot/grub/oldbios.img

timathis

#17 Post by timathis »

Thanks for the reply.

I thought that was a problem (hd0,1). It probably should be the way you stated. Directory structure and drive number very confusing issue for me.
I tried that format but apparently had multiple problems in menu at that point.

Found a better way in the grub4dostutorial. Apparently grub supports cd roms booting. No need for memdisk and oldbios method

grub> cdrom --init
grub> map --hook
grub> chainloader (cd0)
grub> boot

Puppy came up no boot problems with the above in menu.lst

It was very slooooow with only 40 megs memory. Not really useable in that form. I am going to experiment with setting up a swap file or wiping w98 and formatting harddrive for puppy only.

paulh177

#18 Post by paulh177 »

I think that only grub4dos supports the commands you used, so it's no good for people who are using "regular" GRUB it; but it's a useful extra bit of knowledge so thanks very much

paul

richard.a

#19 Post by richard.a »

Hello timathis, Welcome to the forums :)

I have installed puppy of several versions on a range of older laptops and desktops.

While likely to have nothing to do with providing a CD choice as well, I believe that the key to your HDD install with GRUB problem may well be avoiding using the puppy installer routine - which I've not had any problems with except the fact that it asks many questions. I've been told that this is in order to keep the size of the ISO small as possible, and very likely that is true.

I've created a step-by-step tutorial profusely illustrated with screenshots. You can find this at http://micro-hard.homelinux.net/puppy/installing-puppy

Try the install type 1 (instead of the regular install type 2)

Hope this is helpful

Richard in Oz
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

Petr

#20 Post by Petr »

If you don't have a linux partition, then you can't use grub. Follow the instructions here to include puppy in the Win9x, WinXP... bootloader

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... innwin.htm

nicely done and explicitly for newbies

rcrsn51

#21 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's not quite true. You can manually install GRUB in a FAT partition. However, Puppy's GRUB installer doesn't like to do it because it assumes that a FAT partition must already contain Windows.

richard.a

#22 Post by richard.a »

rcrsn51 wrote:That's not quite true. You can manually install GRUB in a FAT partition.
Agreed. Otherwise there would not be a Grub for DOS, would there?
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

timathis

#23 Post by timathis »

Good information petr and richard. I have downloaded the pages for perusal.
I have managed to puppy get booting and running but I think it was blind luck.

Tim

Aitch

#24 Post by Aitch »

oops

Aitch