Rox crash creating thumb from large JPG

Using applications, configuring, problems
peppyy

Rox crash creating thumb from large JPG

#1 Post by peppyy »

I downloaded some High Definition satellite images of the big easy before and after Katrina and could view them online just fine. Whenever I open rox and open the folder containing the photos, it starts creating thumbnail images normally until it gets to one of the big ones.

At this point I loose all desktop icons and rox. These are 3 to 4 meg photos so I can understand the problem. GTKsee seems to be able to thumb them alright, with an appropriate wait time. Is there a way to get rox to accept or ignore thumbs for a file of this size or do I have to disable thumbs?
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Awhile back, I was proudly demonstrating Puppy to someone. Her PC
has Windows 98, and I was showing her how Rox can view her collection
of images as thumbnails, which Windows Explorer can't do.
Suddenly Rox crashed.... :(

I investigated and found that she has a directory with about 1000 images,
and Rox ploughed ahead trying to make thumbnails of them all.
Maybe it hit a big one or something.

I think that we will have to broadcast a request to a C programmer to hack Rox. Some kind of free-memory check is required so that Rox does not self-destruct.

peppyy

#3 Post by peppyy »

For now I have just shut the thumbs off. I think I will keep a file just for large images in the future. Without the thumbs turned on I never know which images I want from my digital camera.

I was tempted to download the newer version of rox but I am just too happy with the current setup I have to do any more testing on this machine.

Funny how you become comfortable with the setup you use all the time and just stop tweaking. Then I pick up anothter machine and set it up completely differently except for a few basics.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!