grub boot manager

Booting, installing, newbie
babbs

#31 Post by babbs »

I didn't try /boot/vmlinuz because I thought it would conflict with the /dev/hdc1/boot routing, which is where I believe the stage 2 part of the boot manager resides. I will give it a try when I get home tonight.

Thanks a million!
babbs

Bruce B

#32 Post by Bruce B »

I'm pretty sure it will work because the instructions you were using looked for the kernel on / and the kernel was not there.

I do it all in one line and it works for me. An example of one line booting:

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1

The command makes a lot of sense if you study it. What you are doing is telling GRUB a couple things it needs to know: the location and name of the kernel and the location of / (the root of the directory structure), not to be confused with the user known as 'root' or the /root directory

The mystery to me is why so many Linux distros use LILO

newuser

#33 Post by newuser »

sorry to backtrack, but im still trying to use the grub boot by making the floppy. i went to grub bootloader config, and chose 2nd setting.

I am at the part where it asks 'where do u want the GRUB files to go?' i have tried /dev/hda1..hda0,hda2,fd0 without success. I am still on the FAT16 harddrive, and puppy recognizes the partition as VFAT partition at /dev/hda1 having 90mb free space on hard drive. It should be able to see it and copy the needed files.

I was reading on the forum that puppy requires 2 partitions to create the boot manager..so that it will boot up puppy everytime computer is turned on.. >> ?

I've alo tried manually copying the usr_cram file, and 3 other files onto my harddrive.,but it's not working.

I've also tried 'Install Puppy Harddrive' from the start menu, but it cannot create a floppy that will boot.

newuser

#34 Post by newuser »

sorry i forgot to add that that screen says ' the partition 'dev/hda1' is not Linux.'

fd0 gives me a similar msg.

Bruce B

#35 Post by Bruce B »

I think you will have some difficulties.

90 MB HD free space is not really enough. It take about 60 MB for vmlinuz, usr_cram.fs and image.gz and then...

... you still want a pup file to store your user settings files. The default size for this file is 256 MB. In my experience Puppy when booting from CD-ROM will make the PUP001 smaller if there is not enough free space. But there is another problem ...

... I don't think Puppy will write a the PUP001 file to a FAT16 partition type.

I think I can be more helpful if you tell more about your hard disk size and partitions and RAM

newuser

#36 Post by newuser »

i have manually copied the 4 files onto the harddisk, and have 90mb free space remaining. so about 150mb if i deleted those files.

it is a pentium computer with 128mb SDRAM.

newuser

#37 Post by newuser »

sorry i forget to add.. why doesnt puppy write to FAT16. is it the same problem as NTFS?

i thought puppy could write to vfat, dos, and a few others? isnt FAT16 a subset of vfat or dos?

Bruce B

#38 Post by Bruce B »

Puppy won't use the FAT16 as far as I know, but I forget the reason why.

Yes, I think the FAT16 is VFAT type.

I think there were only three files you needed to copy from CD-ROM and not four. That is beside the point.

I think you need to make a FAT32 partition or convert your existing partition to FAT32. I don't know what DOS and/or Windows you are running or if it supports FAT32.

I don't know how big the disk is or nada.

newuser

#39 Post by newuser »

I had win95 running previously, and still have 95 booting as default.
hope to get puppy as default soon.

danleff

#40 Post by danleff »

If I remember correctly, Win 95 only supports fat16 and Win 98 supports fat32. You can convert the existing partition, or make room for a fat32 partition, if you have partitioning software, such as PartitionMagic. I don't know if cfdisk or fdisk will support this in Linux or not. You could also use a Win 98 boot disk with fdisk support to do this, I think.

Or, make a second ext2 partition, which Puppy will look for off the CD.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Bruce B

#41 Post by Bruce B »

Windows 95b AKA OSR2 will support FAT32 and even has a utility to convert FAT16 to FAT32

Apparently you aren't wanting to just delete Windows - hmmm.

Here is a plan: Due to the fact that you are so low on disk space I'd recommend running Puppy from CD-ROM in order to have a PUP001 file closer to 125 MB, which is still a little small.

If you have the B version of Windows you can convert your drive.

If you don't have the B version and still want to keep Windows - things can get tricky because you will need to create a Linux or FAT32 file system for PUP001.

Presuming you have the A version of Windows. Problems here because it won't run on FAT32 - even the DOS won't run. Following is what you could do.

1) Defrag the drive to move all files to the font of the drive. Use the included DEFRAG program for this.

2) Use Partition Magic (or System Rescue's QTParted clone) and resize the drive to make free space at the end of the drive. These tools should be able to move the files to the front of the drive but probably best to let DEFRAG to it. Six of one and half a dozen of the other I guess.

3) After making enough free space for PUP001, you won't have free space on the Windows partition. You might want to compress the drive using Microsoft's included DoubleSpace or DriveSpace. I forgot what it is called exactly. The compressed Windows partiton will free up about 40 percent of the space on this partition. One problem solved.

4) After compressing the Windows partition (if you wish to do it) then make your FAT32 or Ext2 partition from the freespace. Some utilities will NOT make a FAT32 partition under 520 MB. FDISK won't do it without some kind of trick. I am pretty sure that Partition Magic will do it on a 125 MB partition. I don't know about SystemRescue CD. You could also make an Ext2 partition.

------------------

After you come to the decision that you really can do without Windows, you can dedicate the majority of drive space to Puppy. I think with only 128 MB RAM it would be nice to have a Linux swap partition also, but we can't make one now because we don't really even have enough space for the default PUP001

babbs

Got it!!!

#42 Post by babbs »

Although I considered starting a new thread to post my success, I figured that someone could tidy this up some and add the right words to put it on the wiki.

Situation:
* Desktop system with two hard drives, each 20GB. The first drive contained Windows ME. The second drive was added to the system and Fedora Core 3 (FC3) was installed on it. During the FC3 install, grub was installed to the second drive ("/boot" partition at 100MB) with the Master Boot Record (MBR) on the first drive modified to look at the the "/boot" partition on the second drive to run grub.
* During a failed attempt to resize the Windows partition, Windows was damaged and required me to reinstall it if I was to make it work again. I chose to dump Windows for good and deleted the Windows partition. I then partitioned the, now blank, Windows drive into 4 partitions with each being just under 5GB each.
* I installed Puppy Linux 1.0.2-Opera to the first partition of the first drive, but since I already had grub installed, I skipped that part of the Puppy install. (I you already have a working copy of grub installed, it is supposed to be easier to modify the configuration file than to reinstall it.)
* At this point, my fun really began because all of the documentation that I found assumed that grub was installed to the first bootable drive. Mine was installed to the second drive. Due to the limited size of the MBRs on drives used in PCs, grub is installed in two parts (stage 1 and stage 2). Stage 1 is just a pointer to stage 2 where the real work is done. Typically, both stages are on the same drive, but not always.

After trying as many different ways of configuring the grub configuration file (/boot/grub/grub.conf), and running into brick walls with each attempt, I found help here. :D

* Bruce B - Thank you for your patience. Had I understood your first attempt to help me, I wouldn't have had the problems I did. The confusion was mine. I didn't realize that Puppy also created a "/boot" directory. Thank you for sticking it out with me to get this working! (I am sorry for having such a hard head.)

* The Guest who then attempted to help - Even though I couldn't get your code to work for me, thank you for responding.

* Ian - I couldn't mount the drive from my FC3 user login (the one I browse the web from) to see if there was a Puppy /boot directory. I tried to read the wiki page, but it seems to assume that grub is being installed for the first time.

Success:
Here is what my working grub.conf file now looks like:

Code: Select all

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd1,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdc2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=1
fallback=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
password --md5 {Removed}
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.14_FC3)
	root (hd1,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.14_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
	initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.14_FC3.img
title Puppy Linux (v1.0.2 Opera)
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1
title Puppy Linux (v1.0.2 Mozilla)
	rootnoverify (hd0,1)
	kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2

I hope this helps someone along the way.