Can't use my Canon MP-360 Printer(Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
don

Can't use my Canon MP-360 Printer(Solved)

#1 Post by don »

Wonderful!

I finally found a Linux distributuion I can install and use without problems -- except for one. I have a Canon MP-360 printer/copier which I cannot install. With other linux distribtions I have been able to install it as a bjc-8200, but this doesn't seem to work with Puppy. Trying to print from ABI word it appears that the printer is activated, but it only ejects a sheet of paper without having actuaally printed on it.

I could try each of the remaining 30 or 40 Canon models listed, but I am hoping that someone has a better suggestion.

I also have an old Panasonic KX-P2135 dot matrix printer I would be happy to use with Puppy if I could install it. Any chance of this happening?

I really hate to give up on Puppy for lack of a printer. If I stay really enamoured with Puppy I might consider buying a new printer. Any recommendations for a modestly priced (cheap) printer which would give me no trouble with Puppy?

Don

Rich

#2 Post by Rich »

If you check out the Cutting Edge section in this forum there is a thread about using CUPS for printers. Rarsa has been working towards this. It's something I've yet to try out on my system so I'm not sure if it's 100% yet.

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

I'm affraid that there isn't a CUPS driver for this printer.

Check this page anyway http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_print ... n-BJC-8200

Linux Printing is the primary source of information regarding printers and printer drivers under linux.

The Canon MP-360 is not even listed there, that means that it's going to be tough.

You may also want to follow this thread : http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showp ... oduct=1223

Good Luck.

don

#4 Post by don »

Thanks for the advice.

I am currently checking out Turboprint, which seems to be promising. It supports a huge number of printers, including my Canon MP360.

I downloaded the trial version and installed it OK, but am having a bit of trouble setting it up. Although the file of printer drivers seems intact, the setup program apparently can't find it. I may have put everything in the wrong directory. I am working on it as time permits, and will post my success, or lack thereof.

Don

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Ian »

Have you tried any other printers to see if they work with Puppy.

What are you trying to print from.

You may have to try different settings in the driver and interface options.

LittleSpooky

#6 Post by LittleSpooky »

Haven't made the switch yet as I'm looking for a job so I can put Pup Pup on a clean Hard Drive and back up everything else on the other drives.

I have an Epson Stylus CX4600 (it seems that all of them have worked "around" this particular printer, as in the one released before it and after it are listed in the categories, but this one isn't ANYWHERE)....

So... then what? Just outta curiosity.
:?:

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

Maybe the cx-3200 driver will work?

LittleSpooky

#8 Post by LittleSpooky »

*writes that down*

don

#9 Post by don »

I give up.

As much as I like Puppy, I

rarsa

#10 Post by rarsa »

several other drivers work with MP360 using CUPS on other Linux disros
What drivers have you used in those 'other distros' ? You did not mention that before, maybe if you had, we would have been able to help you.

don

#11 Post by don »

As I did mention in my original post, installing the MP-360 as a Canon BJ-8200 in every other linux distro I've tried (about 6 or 8) has been successful. I believe that all of them printed using CUPS.

Don

rarsa

#12 Post by rarsa »

And I ask again: What Other distros? What CUPS drivers did you use on those distros?

Here I am asking for the NAME AND VERSION of the distro. I am also asking for the driver that CUPS used when printing.

Just telling me 'other distros' and 'probably CUPS', is not enough.

Just imagine that next time that you are on vacations and you ask for a store that sells black perls and someone responds: mmm, I went to some city that has a store and they probably sell jewlery.

Wouldn't you ask what city and what store and if they definetivelly know they sell black perls?

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Ian »

If you had it set up and running using Abiword in Puppy you might wish to try this:

Instead of starting your document at the top of the page use the enter key to move down about 10 or 12 lines and try starting from there.

Abiword has a problem with printing outside the top margin for some reason.

You also might want to try installing Textmaker as it seems to have no printing issues at all.

don

#14 Post by don »

Some of the distros :
Damn Small Linux 0.84
Kubuntu 5.04 (Hoary)
Beatrix 2005.IF
Mepis 2003.10
Mandrake 10
Fedore Core 4 FINAL
Suse 9.3

No printer problems with any of the above.

PCLinuxOS Preview 7a(28-6-04) is currently installed on my hard drive.
The MP-360 printer is set up in it as a Canon BJC-8200 (Foomatic +dj8,pa06n.upp). Works fine. I just followed the directions.

I don't know anything about CUPS other than that which is printed on the printer test page. At the bottom it says, "Printed Using CUPS v1.1.x".

A box on the test page labeled "Interpreter Information" contains the following information:
PostScript Level 3
Version 3010 (707)
Product: ESP GhostScript
Serial#: 42

The test page is printed, it says, at a resolution of 600x600 dpi.

If there is any more information on the printer driver or CUPS I don't where to find it.

There once was a waterfront bar in Newport,RI (USA) called The Black Pearl. Great fun during Americas Cup races.

Don

rarsa

#15 Post by rarsa »

Now we are talking!

That's all I needed. Assuming that your printer is working OK with the BJC-8200 we have somewhere to go.

Here are the instructions.

i. Go to my CUPS installation instructions and read them in full before proceeding.
ii. Follow instructions 1 to 6 as described on that page.
iii. Step 7 indicates to install your printer drivers. You don't need to install the hpijs drivers. Just download the attached PPD definition for the bj8pa06n.upp driver, untar it and copy that PPD file to /usr/share/cups/model/
iv. Install Perl as indicated on step 8 as you will require Perl
v. Follow the rest of the instructions to restart CUPS and do a print test.

Please let me know if everything works as expected or if you had problems. (Knowing the result will be helpful not only for you but for other people too)
Attachments
Canon-BJC-8200-bj8pa06n.upp.ppd.tar.gz
This is the driver for the BJC-8200
(2.55 KiB) Downloaded 370 times

#16 Post by Guest »

Thanks.

I will be out of town for a few days, so it may be a week before I can get on with this. I will try your suggestion, and let you know the results.

Don

don

#17 Post by don »

My Canon MP360 problem is solved.

When I left on a business trip a week ago I asked a 16 year old neighbor to water, feed and exercise my dog durning my absence. I also mentioned my printer problem and he offered to look at it for me. When I returned he had configured it as a Canon-BJC 7000 using Xpdg, and it works perfectly. He saids he "figured it out", but later confessed that he simply started at the head of the printer list, tried each one in succession until he het the one that worked well - the "brute force" method.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Don

rarsa

#18 Post by rarsa »

Thank you for letting us know what driver works.

It would be also great if you update the wikki hardware compatibility page.

Just add the printer with a comment on what driver you are using.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

I just looked on www.linuxprinting.org.
Can't find any "MP 360", but Canon does have the "MultiPass" range, and
there is a MultiPass C3500, then a MultiPass C5000.
The first one will work with the bjc600 driver.