How to get audio thru HDMI out of motherboard?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
Patriot

#16 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
Flash wrote: ........
Everything that looks like it has anything to do with speakers is turned up in Alsamixer, and IEC958 is on.
Is the hdmi mixer unmuted ?

# alsamixer -c 1

Rgds

tempestuous

#17 Post by tempestuous »

Yes, the HDMI port is seen as card 1.
So it would clearly be a good idea to check alsamixer settings for card 1.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

Well all right then. After some adventure involving throwing a tantrum because apparently static electricity caused my computer to reboot when I plugged a flash memory into it, I finally got everything together to make this post. :lol:

Alsamixer -c 1 showed that the HDMI was muted even though IEC958 was on in the default Alsamixer window. (See first image.)

After I unmuted IEC958 in the HDMI alsamixer window, I again first tried playing 2barks through the regular speakers to make sure it would work. Then I switched from device 0,0 to 1,3, and again got no sound even though there were no error messages. (See second image. Ignore the first line, the one with the red line through it. "bash: setenv: command not found" is there when I open rxvt. I don't know why.)
Attachments
alsamixer default and -c 1.jpg
(62.31 KiB) Downloaded 2885 times
aplay HDMI result.jpg
(51.61 KiB) Downloaded 3272 times

tempestuous

#19 Post by tempestuous »

You have made progress.
- it's a good sign that alsamixer can access the HDMI port as card 1.
- it's a good sign that aplay plays the audio file without error.

Since DigitalTV and DVD both have a standard sample rate of 48 kHz, it might just be that your HDMI monitor might not be able to handle the 8 kHz sample rate of 2barks.wav.
I suggest you try to play a 48kHz uncompressed wav file. I just sent you a PM with a link to 48kHz and 44.1kHz test audio files.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

Thanks, tempestuous. Both of the links were to the same 48 kHz file. It didn't play in HDMI but did in the Alsaplayer default audio.. :(

I have a CD full of various wav files. They all seem to be 22.05 kHz mono, but since that's just half of a 44.1 kHz stereo I think it would play if a 44.1 kHz stereo file would. None of them would play in HDMI either.

Next?

SilentBob999

related problem - hdmi - I want to get ride of it

#21 Post by SilentBob999 »

related problem - hdmi - I want to ride of it

In the same way but up side down.

After a reboot. When I open AlsaMixer. It ATI HDMI that is in the mixer... no chanel. I'm not able to get any sound.

So I open Alsa Wizard. Then select the first one Intel 18x0 and then its work. (note that noting refer to the ATI HDMI in Alsa Wizard.

After that I can open AlsaMixer and see my integrated audio card with all my channel and everything sound great.

But after a reboot, the problem is back.

Any clue to how make the sound come permanently from my main speaker ?
Also, I dont get the volume control near the clock... I have IceWM (icewm-1.2.35Latestv2.pet as post by ttuuxxx here : http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=257516. Can I get it back ?

its my first post on this forum...

SilentBob999

#22 Post by SilentBob999 »

I solve my problem and now I can check into yours...

I have an ATI HD4850.... with an adapter on the DVI port that transform it to an HDMI port... going to my 42inch tv...

So basicly, I prefer the sound going to my speaker and not to my tv, but... could by nice at night or when switching from pc to tv to pc etc... In windows I get the sound and video by the HDMI as I wish

In puppies, I never succeed to load the ATI driver completely, I run on a mix of Xorg, catalyst 9.9 and 9.11. The catalyst control center never work, antispec run only one time showing 22fps but now it just give errors... but its ok because I'm able to work in 1920*1080 and surf the web with relative comfort.

I tell that because I think its the main reason why I'm not able to heard sound by my HDMI in puppy. But maybe it will work for you

First step: (list your device with "aplay -l")

Code: Select all

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: ICH [Intel ICH], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH]
card 1: ICH [Intel ICH], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH - IEC958]
Ok so now I know that my main speaker are on card 1 device 0 and my HDMI is card 0 device 3

At this point its time to configure new device.
Create a file /root/.asoundrc or edit /etc/asound.conf (its both the same.. one affected to all puppy the other only to your user) I prefer the hidden one in root its easier to find.
Put in it something like:

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
device 0
}

pcm.nforce-audio {
type hw
card 1
device 0
}

pcm.atihdmi-audio {
type hw
card 0
device 3
}
Note that you can set the default there...

now to apply this. run /etc/init.d/alsa or restart

To test:

aqualung -o alsa -d nforce-audio /usr/share/audio/goodluck.m4a
aqualung -o alsa -d atihdmi-audio /usr/share/audio/goodluck.m4a
You chose the name you want for your device... but its better if you are sure that its not already use by a driver or something...

And like I says before its doesn't work for me but maybe you will be more lucky.

If I found something else I will write back here... I think they may have more specific configuration on HDMI because the output it clearly different... anyway I search and give you news...

ocean3210

Hdmi sound

#23 Post by ocean3210 »

Just wondering if you found any solution to this yet. I can't find anything on the forums. I just bought a new gateway with intel core i3 intel hd sound and an hdmi jack and it works with windows but not puppy 5.25.
Maybe there is just not enough demand for this type of situation for it to be addressed.
The video comes through great but no sound.

thanks

pabloA

Re: Hdmi sound

#24 Post by pabloA »

ocean3210 wrote:Just wondering if you found any solution to this yet. I can't find anything on the forums.<snip>
I cannot offer you a fix re 525, and hopefully you have found a solution to your problem:
Could I suggest looking at your hardwares web-sites for any flavour of linux drivers and see if your can ascertain which kernel they suggest as a minimum requirement - I tried in vain to install HDMI audio using 528: A switch to a Puppy using a Kernel of 2.6.37.6 and above made the task straight forward.

(529 - ThreeHeadedDog - Luci_001) ? is nicely aged, and would suit the transistion from 525.

Hth