gnome contra qt

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
oui

gnome contra qt

#1 Post by oui »

gnome was in the past synonym for small and efficient graphic systems

today, it is absolutely not the case any more: gnome is a pure disease because no compatibility between generations.

is that problem exactly the same in qt?

would it be possible to build a system without gnome and with qt as friendly compatibility solution?

I have actually Kubuntu and LXQT on my laptop.

LXQT did install Qupzilla (from Ubuntu: terrible old version less than 2.0 without spelling check facilities!)

removing it, i did have to constat, that Qupzilla NEEDS libraries from Gnome in Ubuntu :!: :roll: :lol: :idea: :x

what a chaos ...

LazY Puppy

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

Chaos, right.

I think Linux in general is currently heavily working to dig his own grave. Munich had announced probably to drop Linux for Windows after they dropped Windows for Linux. In a short time it seems they will have a poll about to drop Linux for Windows.

The woof-ce guys also heavily working to dig the grave for Puppy Linux, as there's some strange issues in new Puppies, irregular exiting to the prompt (e.g. pressing strg-a in a rox window, calling the menu while fixmenus still is running, watching a dvd movie in vlc).

Too many cooks spoil the mush (literally translated from: Zuviele Köche verderben den Brei).
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

Moat

#3 Post by Moat »

LazY Puppy wrote:Chaos, right.

I think Linux in general is currently heavily working to dig his own grave.

Too many cooks spoil the mush
Agreed. Such a shame, such a waste of human resources/time, with devs endlessly re-inventing the (perfectly functional) wheel, just because they "have the freedom of choice" to do so. And continually breaking things in the process. With some greater degree of collaboration amongst the Linux community/devs in general, Linux could rule them all - the desktop included. Linux's potential is immense! Sadly, time shows that the opposite is happening, instead. Overall, the Linux desktop was in better shape 2-3 years ago, IMHO. :cry:

Dedoimedo's "Let's rant" portion of the below article exactly expresses what I see going on, as a desktop end-user -

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedo ... -xorg.html

I'm sorry, oui, for not adding anything helpful/useful to your query. :oops: I just had to let that out!

Bob

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

I have to agree with you, Bob. To build an OS which is solely intended to showcase the abilities of the developer in re-inventing everything seems pointless indeed....

I like Dedoimedo. Igor Ljubuncic writes some bloody good articles; his dissertation on how to use gParted:-

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

.....is so good that not only did it teach me how to properly use it, but I've referred many other people to it over the last 2 or 3 years as well.

And I agree with him whole-heartedly. Systemd; what a sorry mess that's turning out to be. The trouble with making the entire init process so all-encompassing is that one thing goes wrong with it, the entire shebang goes tits-up. And the damn thing is trying to take over the entire OS, from what I can make out..!

And as for Wayland.....pffft! Complete waste of time. Xorg has worked perfectly for the last 20 years or so. Have these guys never heard of 'If it ain't broke, why 'fix' it?' :lol: The devs are more concerned with making their job easy than they are at giving any shred of concern to the poor saps who might actually want to use their 'offerings'. All it does is reinforce to Joe Public that Linux is purely for geeks.....which is kinda sad, 'cause it's capable of so much more.

I always tend to think of this section from the well-known article entitled 'Linux: One and one is 2':-

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------

"New: I wanted a new toy car, and everybody's raving about how great Lego cars can be. So I bought some Lego, but when I got home, I just had a load of bricks and cogs and stuff in the box. Where's my car??

Old: You have to build the car out of the bricks. That's the whole point of Lego.

New: What?? I don't know how to build a car. I'm not a mechanic. How am I supposed to know how to put it all together??

Old: There's a leaflet that came in the box. It tells you exactly how to put the bricks together to get a toy car. You don't need to know how, you just need to follow the instructions.

New: Okay, I found the instructions. It's going to take me hours! Why can't they just sell it as a toy car, instead of making you have to build it??

Old: Because not everybody wants to make a toy car with Lego. It can be made into anything we like. That's the whole point.

New: I still don't see why they can't supply it as a car so people who want a car have got one, and other people can take it apart if they want to. Anyway, I finally got it put together, but some bits come off occasionally. What do I do about this? Can I glue it?

Old: It's Lego. It's designed to come apart. That's the whole point.

New: But I don't want it to come apart. I just want a toy car!

Old: Then why on Earth did you buy a box of Lego??"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That, to me, spells out the entire 'geek' mentality in a nutshell. Right there. :shock: :roll:

Have a read of the whole article. It's pretty funny.....because it's so true.

Mike. :wink:

Fossil

#5 Post by Fossil »

It's Lego. It's designed to come apart. That's the whole point.
Big Sighhhhhhh. What of Meccano? Now that was a really good 'hands-on' system. :roll: I'm with LazY Puppy on this one. Sadly, Linux in general and all it's derivatives are very much a potpourri mixture - perhaps 'melange' would be a better term - where everyone tries to add a slightly different blend - and their own individuality to the original recipe; the result being a wide and confusing mess of systems, add-on's and identities.

Pelo

LxQtPup-14.12.01-s-nopae.iso: 235 M

#6 Post by Pelo »

LxQtPup-14.12.01-s-nopae.iso: 235 M
i like this Puppy (available at Ally archives.org)

"Agreed. Such a shame, such a waste of human resources/time, with devs endlessly re-inventing the (perfectly functional) wheel, just because they "have the freedom of choice" to do so. And continually breaking things in the process. With some greater degree of collaboration amongst the Linux community/devs in general, Linux could rule them all - the desktop included. Linux's potential is immense! Sadly, time shows that the opposite is happening, instead. Overall, the Linux desktop was in better shape 2-3 years ago, IMHO" Beware, some devs could tell you demotivate them, Moat,..
Many devs want only to show what they are able to-do, and don't need at all making them used by anybody else. They just need some help to achieve their work.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 10 May 2017, 10:43, edited 3 times in total.

scsijon

#7 Post by scsijon »

oui, there are a number of purely qt desktops, such as rwm, qlwm and razor-qt (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74431).

The problem seems to be that all systems are borrowing parts of others so as "not to reinvent the wheel".

rufwoof

#8 Post by rufwoof »

Mike Walsh wrote:Systemd; what a sorry mess that's turning out to be. The trouble with making the entire init process so all-encompassing is that one thing goes wrong with it, the entire shebang goes tits-up. And the damn thing is trying to take over the entire OS, from what I can make out..!
I like it Mike. Works well for me. Modularised and expanding all the time to account for a massively wide range of kit, with many eyes all looking at the exact same thing rather than a million different ways to achieve the same. You can take the standard boot and change init (inside initrd) if you so desire ... I have for instance changed it to accommodate NTFS read/write as per Toni's guidance. It's not as though systemD is a lockout/proprietary. The modularity is a bit of a headache at first, but gets easier after a while ... basically ... depends upon ... concurrency type modules.
And as for Wayland.....pffft! Complete waste of time. Xorg has worked perfectly for the last 20 years or so.
But X has security risks, so much so that some even say don't run any gui using root.

Convergence in general of Linux is also a good thing IMO, Ubuntu moving to Gnome ... again more eyes evolving/fixing a common choice rather than a million all doing separate things a million different ways .. well not quite, but you know what I mean

Colonel Panic

#9 Post by Colonel Panic »

Mike Walsh wrote:I have to agree with you, Bob. To build an OS which is solely intended to showcase the abilities of the developer in re-inventing everything seems pointless indeed....

I like Dedoimedo. Igor Ljubuncic writes some bloody good articles; his dissertation on how to use gParted:-

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

.....is so good that not only did it teach me how to properly use it, but I've referred many other people to it over the last 2 or 3 years as well.

And I agree with him whole-heartedly. Systemd; what a sorry mess that's turning out to be. The trouble with making the entire init process so all-encompassing is that one thing goes wrong with it, the entire shebang goes tits-up. And the damn thing is trying to take over the entire OS, from what I can make out..!

And as for Wayland.....pffft! Complete waste of time. Xorg has worked perfectly for the last 20 years or so. Have these guys never heard of 'If it ain't broke, why 'fix' it?' :lol: The devs are more concerned with making their job easy than they are at giving any shred of concern to the poor saps who might actually want to use their 'offerings'. All it does is reinforce to Joe Public that Linux is purely for geeks.....which is kinda sad, 'cause it's capable of so much more.

I always tend to think of this section from the well-known article entitled 'Linux: One and one is 2':-

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------

"New: I wanted a new toy car, and everybody's raving about how great Lego cars can be. So I bought some Lego, but when I got home, I just had a load of bricks and cogs and stuff in the box. Where's my car??

Old: You have to build the car out of the bricks. That's the whole point of Lego.

New: What?? I don't know how to build a car. I'm not a mechanic. How am I supposed to know how to put it all together??

Old: There's a leaflet that came in the box. It tells you exactly how to put the bricks together to get a toy car. You don't need to know how, you just need to follow the instructions.

New: Okay, I found the instructions. It's going to take me hours! Why can't they just sell it as a toy car, instead of making you have to build it??

Old: Because not everybody wants to make a toy car with Lego. It can be made into anything we like. That's the whole point.

New: I still don't see why they can't supply it as a car so people who want a car have got one, and other people can take it apart if they want to. Anyway, I finally got it put together, but some bits come off occasionally. What do I do about this? Can I glue it?

Old: It's Lego. It's designed to come apart. That's the whole point.

New: But I don't want it to come apart. I just want a toy car!

Old: Then why on Earth did you buy a box of Lego??"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That, to me, spells out the entire 'geek' mentality in a nutshell. Right there. :shock: :roll:

Have a read of the whole article. It's pretty funny.....because it's so true.

Mike. :wink:
Igor also doesn't like modern incarnations of Gnome: he posted this recently;

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gno ... eview.html

My thoughts of Gnome 3 for what I've seen of it is - why? It may have some good features (having a box in which you can type the first letters of a program you want to launch is a definite asset, for example), but I can't see how it offers anything I really need that I can't also find in Cinnamon, Mate or XFce, all of which are much easier to use as well as considerably lighter on resources.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

norgo

strange headline

#10 Post by norgo »

strange headline "gnome contra qt"

gtk contra qt
or
gnome contra kde
or .... :?:

hamoudoudou

it uses the Razor-qt Desktop Environment. by librehat

#11 Post by hamoudoudou »

Puppy razor-Qt
A remaster of Puppy Linux Slacko 5.3.1 designed to be 'modern and elegant', it uses the Razor-qt Desktop Environment. by librehat
You Tube
Attachments
razor.jpg
Demo You Tube
(43.54 KiB) Downloaded 514 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

Dude, that thread is nearly two years old.

hamoudoudou

people need Qt applications

#13 Post by hamoudoudou »

Tahrpup and Xenialpup choosed QT. Bionic by PeeBee no. But people are now used to Qt app, an Sfs has been done for Upup Bionic by Festus Here

I put together this "qt-4.8.7-sfs" for UPup bionic_beaver (upupbb) 18.05, if anyone is interested, festus told us

Colonel Panic

#14 Post by Colonel Panic »

The link is misspelled unfortunately ("musrga") and doesn't work. This edited one does;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... =213260417
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.