Fire Hydrant full install won't boot

Using applications, configuring, problems
nikomax

Fire Hydrant full install won't boot

#1 Post by nikomax »

This is kind of a weird problem I guess so i will try and explain it as best as I can....

<moan>

So i have this old computer, and I'm putting puppy on it for my siblings for the meanwhile, They have to wait for my mum to buy some parts as the other computer fried....
So not only do I have the complaints of "I cant use Linux its too hard and difficult" blah blah blah I have the problem of the machine not booting with grub....

</moan>

Basically I ran Fire Hydrant (the biggest package) of the live cd and did a full install with the disk... it took a while but it worked. When given the options for GRUB I picked simple and to install on the MBR. I had did this with a terribly old laptop ( its ancient trust me) and this worked fine.

BUT whenever restart this machine it gets to the boot section and.....

"SYSTEM DISK ERROR, PLEASE INSERT A BOOTABLE DISK" -- or words to that effect..

I was sorta expecting GRUB to show up :(

If i insert the CD it boots fine, (but takes forever)...

Also i noticed that when it was booting from the CD it loaded pup_300.sfs into the ram still, is it meant to do that after installation? And is there a way to stop it? i just want to shave the boot time for my family's impatience...

Sorry for the long post, I'm kinda down :( i keep getting flak for computer troubles in my house, even if Im not the one who caused the trouble....

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here are two things to try:

1. Boot off the Live CD and run the Gparted partition manager. Check that the hard drive partition has its "boot" flag set.

2. Look in your hard drive install for the folder /boot. Does it have a subfolder named grub? Does it contain the files stage1, stage2 and menu.lst? If so, report back and we can discuss how to manually install GRUB.