Which kernel used in Puppy works in all of your PCs?

Using applications, configuring, problems

Which kernel used in Puppy works in all of your PCs?

Poll ended at Tue 01 Jan 2008, 04:26

the kernel in Puppy versions 2.12-2.16 (also includes 3.01 retro)
11%
the kernel in Puppy version 2.17
33%
the kernel in Puppy version 3.01
56%

Total votes: 9

alienjeff

Re: 1.0.8r1

#16 Post by alienjeff »

jonyo wrote:What is this localization about?
What is this Google about?
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

jonyo

#17 Post by jonyo »

Tried it..didn't find anything specific. You'd be a big hit in ubuntu..:lol:
alienjeff wrote:
jonyo wrote:What is this localization about?
What is this Google about?

raffy

localization contrast

#18 Post by raffy »

These are two contrasting localization tweaks: in puppy 2.13 vs in puppy 2.0x. Note that for 2.13, the solution is out of the box.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

alienjeff

#19 Post by alienjeff »

jonyo wrote:Tried it..didn't find anything specific.
Narrow your search.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

jonyo

Re: localization contrast

#20 Post by jonyo »

I see what you mean by 'richer' now raffy..thx. And thx also aj..most helpful.:roll:
raffy wrote:These are two contrasting localization tweaks: in puppy 2.13 vs in puppy 2.0x. Note that for 2.13, the solution is out of the box.

Bruce B

#21 Post by Bruce B »

My computer is pretty new Intel duo 2.8GHz processor

There is no question in my mind that DSL's 2.4.31 SMP Kernel is faster than Puppy's. Also, according to my understanding it has the back ports that were promised to keep version 2.4 from being a neglected kernel. Not only that there are a whole list of things you can turn of and on with DSL's cheatsheet.

I happen to like Puppy better overall. But if performance is the argument, I don't see how there could be an argument.

tempestuous

#22 Post by tempestuous »

Sage wrote:Missing the point?!
This vague question implies that I missed Sage's point.
Actually I directly addressed the point (that the 2.4 kernel should be considered) and challenged it.

I totally support the idea of having a slimmed-down distro which works on old hardware, but as you read the posts on this forum there's a clear sense that Puppy attracts an audience which appreciates cutting-edge features, eg: 3D graphics, TV tuners, wifi, bluetooth, SATA, memory cards etc.
Each distro has its strengths and weaknesses. I like DSL for what it does, but I don't want Puppy to revert to such a conservative development approach. I consider this a step backwards. If you want the slow-and-steady features of DSL, fine, use DSL. Don't hamstring Puppy.

Regarding "performance", this can be measured in many ways. Personally, I consider multimedia performance an important issue. Puppy outstrips DSL by a country mile in this regard. As a clear illustration of this point, see dvw86's wiki post about playing DVD's on 600MHz VIA Epia with (modest) onboard graphics chip.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/MiniITX
With no dedicated accelerated X server and no hardware-assisted codec decoding (XvMC), this feat is unachievable in DSL.

Regarding SMP, the latest Puppy 4 kernel has this enabled. So, too, the cutting-edge kernel for earlier Puppies, which may be released as a complete Puppy 214R variant in the future.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 919#127919

So what kernel do I consider the most reliable? Hard to tell, because I have never had a Puppy version fail to boot on ANY computer.

The Puppy 4.x alphas have been running a bit sluggishly on some of my older P1 and P2 boxes, and as Barry has already mentioned, the Slackware-compatible Puppy 3.x libraries are somewhat bloated, so I'm leaning towards the Puppy 2.12-2.16 series as my most trusted Puppies.

muggins

#23 Post by muggins »

I wish I hadn't thrown out all my old puppies. I'll have to dig up a 1.08 somewhere and try that. Anyone have a link for me? to save me some searching. puppylinux.org is unreachable for me right now.
JohnDoe,

I take it that, with the [red]Woohoo[/red], you don't need a link for pup1.08 anymore? I'll post one anyway, for the sake of posterity:

http://mymirrors.homelinux.org/puppy/pu ... ozilla.iso

I'm pretty sure that Lobster also has a 1.08r1 version, clawed away in his Transxxx dimensional dimension somewhere, but I've lost the link.

Sage

#24 Post by Sage »

Still doing it, tempo?!
What is the purpose of a compact distro?!
Bruce's go-faster box is entirely capable of handling the real McCoy of a major distro with no corners cut, no compromises, no cludges and, with F8, regular upgrades, patches & co.
Wifi is a thoroughly bad idea if you plan to do any banking, writing to your mistress or contacting the Revenue. Hard wired hubs/routers offer more security. Bluetooth? - visit your dentist. Video editing? - F8, because you're going to need the resources of a big box. Professional CAD-CAM? - get a Sun SparcStation. Etc., etc.
It's horses and courses.
Time after time, surveys show that 99% of PC users only want to do a little surfing, send an email, write the odd letter (oh yes, some folks still do that and it's great for issuing summonses), play a music CD occasionally and review their photos.
Compiz is for the birds. Clever but unnecessary.
Camcorders record to DVD and are best displayed on 105" lcd TV. 99% of users make a couple of attempts at editing and give up because it's too time-consuming, boring and unlikely to produce professional results to BBC standards.
If we don't stop the folly of landfill, homo sapiens will come to a sticky end a lot sooner. It's all a question of focusing on the BIG issues not the big boxes. [Hey, I found red, too.]
Too much valuable intellectual effort expended in following the lemming trail. To what end, to what effect? Ask whether progress equates to $$$ ? What should be the proper objectives of a species, a society, a planet? Stop the rot by recycling - be satisfied! It's got nothing to do with dinosaur mentality, everything to do with seeing the BIG picture.
Those endowed with decent intellects should not need to prove anything. Those with wodges of dollaria should not need to engage in conspicuous consumption. Those with big PCs, big brains and fantastic vision might be well advised to show what they can also do with an old 286......

tempestuous

#25 Post by tempestuous »

Still doing it, Sagey.
Badgering Barry and the developers about Puppy's direction, even though you contribute nothing yourself.

Regarding your Don Quixote-like obsession with SCSI booting, this is tragi-comedy.
Many of us have requirements for custom options, and if those features do not benefit a majority of users, we just remaster Puppy to suit our own requirements ... recent case: forum member photonn created a custom kernel for the ebox-2300SX
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 959#159959

Personally, I have a Pentium1 laptop with an LCD screen which will not work with Xvesa, so I have remastered a version of Puppy 1.0.4 with SVGA X server.
But you don't hear me raving on the forum for SVGA X server support as standard.

The process of remastering Puppy for SCSI booting has been elegantly explained by forum member Jesse, but still, the only person on the forum asking for this esoteric feature continues to demand it in the mainstream release.

Amongst your obtuse ramblings, I can see a valid quest; for a compact, but limited distro. Excellent. Use DSL.
And I agree to some extent about the low priority of certain advanced features.
But to impose your own polarised views by suggesting that those features are unworthy of support/inclusion in Puppy is brazen and disrespectful to the MANY forum members who have explicitly expressed interest in those features.

Fortunately, your comments are ignored by most.

Let me end this post on a positive note: maybe you could go off and fork Puppy Linux to your own taste. Strip out all the advanced features, and call it Donkey Linux.
Who knows, it could race up the Distrowatch rankings?

raffy

donkey

#26 Post by raffy »

Yes, a donkey, small but patient and can take heavy loads without problem.

Sage's dream machine is already around, with names like FitPC, Linutop, XO and blipPC. The low power consumed by these machines can challenge even the forgotten x86 of the 1980s.

However, they no longer use SCSI. They use SSD or USB2 flash devices, and new I/O chips.

The challenge lies in being able to gather the pieces of an OS to suit this new configuration. Coders and testers are welcome. :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

PaulBx1

#27 Post by PaulBx1 »

Sage, I have a functional 8088 laptop for you if you're interested. :wink:

I think it's better to let people buy the computers they want to buy, and stop second guessing them. Look at the bright side, you can dumpster-dive and make yourself a new old computer for nothing.

We're not going to be buried in old computers any time soon.

Back to the thread, I am wondering (as hinted in a previous post), when you find a problem with a puppy version, how are you supposed to determine it is a kernel problem rather than something else?

Pretty much every Puppy I've tried has had some problem on my old Thinkpad A21m. Pretty much every one has mostly worked. The problems I see are (unless I'm mistaken) not so much kernel-related as short test cycles and bugs left unaddressed. That's Puppy for you; I live with it to get the stuff I like.

Caneri

#28 Post by Caneri »

@muggins,

Thanks for the link to puppy-1.08-mozilla.iso

It's another brick in the wall here...as in "fills another gap"....y'all got any more?

Just tell me where for the oldies.

EDIT: I dropped back a bit on your url and found a treasure..thanks again!!
EDIT again....may I copy some of your files to my server? I promise I'll be gentle ;)
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

John Doe

#29 Post by John Doe »

muggins wrote:JohnDoe,

I take it that, with the [red]Woohoo[/red], you don't need a link for pup1.08 anymore? I'll post one anyway, for the sake of posterity...
Correct. :-)

I'm actually speculating right now that a BIOS upgrade is all that is needed for any old motherboards that doesn't work with the latest kernel(s).

Posted up a how to on it for people to try if they run into machines like that.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=24671