Updated to 1.0.4; USB stick stopped booting [solved]

Booting, installing, newbie
PaulR

Updated to 1.0.4; USB stick stopped booting [solved]

#1 Post by PaulR »

I had Puppy 0.9.blah.blah working great on my USB but decided to update to latest version but now it won't boot - I get a 'Missing Operating System' message :(

I recall when I first put Puppy on USB I had to use a special formatting program to make it bootable - I downloaded that utility from Disgo's website and formatted bootable, FAT16.

I made a 1.0.4 live CD and used the USB install script with no problems except step 9 'Now making the flashcard bootable' reports 'syslinux: possibly unsafe /tmp permissions'.

The script reports the partition info as...
/dev/sda1 | msdos | 248830 | DOS 16-bit FAT >=32M

Looking at the stick using MToolsFM there's a line in the bottom message window that reads 'Total number of sectors not a multiple of sectors per track' and the same message is reported in cfdisk which won't let me proceed with any sort of repartitioning etc.

The stick is in the same socket on the same computer that worked flawlessly in the past.

TIA

EDIT: Tried using the HP utility to make USB bootable with the same results. Tried using MKBT and getting stuff from a floppy bootdisk - didn't work. Tried reformatting stick in Win XP then using Disgo bootable format utility then running install script - now I get a message like 'FreeDOS VFAT Go!' at boot and the system hangs. I guess what I need is a low level format.....thinking
Last edited by PaulR on Tue 13 Sep 2005, 11:29, edited 3 times in total.

PaulR

#2 Post by PaulR »

Right I think this is a stick rather than Puppy problem - I tried Damn Small's USB stick install and get pretty much the same error (I also tried it on a different machine).

So, does anyone know of a utility that will check/verify/properly format a USB stick? (It works fine for regular data storage it just won't boot!).

Help really appreciated.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Maybe this post will be helpful. The Wikipedia article has some links at the bottom that might be what you're looking for.

PaulR

#4 Post by PaulR »

Thanks Flash but I can't see anything that would help there. I've tried two bootable-formatting utilities but neither does the trick (but one did when I had version 0.9 working). Everything about the stick seems normal, this is so frustrating!

Thanks again.

PaulR

#5 Post by PaulR »

I followed some instructions from a Damn Small related website and can now boot into a Puppy command prompt! Basically this consisted of...

Using a HP utility to reformat the stick
Deleting most of the files that utility created
Copying all the files from the Puppy CD to the root directory of the stick and setting attributes to read write

Puppy just complains about not being able to find usr_cram.fs (even though it's there) and consequently can't start X.

I guess something needs changing in syslinux.cfg?

(As a test I followed the instructions as given using a Damn Small CD and it worked fine, booting straight into Fluxbox).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Could you please give a link to the HP utility you used to re format the flash memory stick? Thank you.

PaulR

#7 Post by PaulR »

There are two HP utilities for formatting USB keys from Windows, one is about 2mb the other about 28mb (yeah that's right 28meg!!!)- the one that seems to work is the bigger one can be found here...

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files ... 21621.html

Once I've got this working I was intending to write up a detailed HOWTO using this method for anyone else that has similar USB boot blues.

PaulR

#8 Post by PaulR »

Still not got this working :cry:

I reformatted (bootable) and used the script within Puppy to install to USB. All I get now is a 'Boot Failed' message from the BIOS.

I read the readme.usbkey supplied with syslinux and that talks about repartitioning troublesome USB sticks so they appear as sda4 (i.e. a zip drive). The problem there is I don't have a working Linux from which to run the neccesary syslinux utility.

I just can't understand why this damn thing won't boot now when it used to boot fine on this computer in the same slot with Puppy 0.9...

I want my Puppy USB back - someone please help!!!

BlackBelt

#9 Post by BlackBelt »

Hey.. I'm new to puppy linux and LOVE IT. I spent yesterday and today trying to get it to boot because I was having a similar problem to you. After reading through all the forum posts and trying stuff out, I was able to get my puppy to boot!!!! I suggest getting the NEWEST version of syslinux. Its 3.11 and as soon as i ran it from my windows box syslinux g: where g: was my usb drive... I was able to boot! (well as soon as i rebooted the comptuer:p) Please try it and let me know if it works for you! http://syslinux.zytor.com/download.php

PaulR

#10 Post by PaulR »

BlackBelt: you know what - just before I went to bed last night I did exactly that and got Puppy back up and running. I wake up this morning and come on here to find your reply - where were you a week ago?! :lol:

BlackBelt

#11 Post by BlackBelt »

I was not a puppy user a week ago :-p But I'm really happy to hear that you got it working :-)

BlackBelt

#12 Post by BlackBelt »

I was not a puppy user a week ago :-p But I'm really happy to hear that you got it working :-)

mleffler

Works!

#13 Post by mleffler »

Am I glad I read this note - I have been struggling with getting puppy to boot off of a USB stick for a week. I thought I was following the instructions perfectly (and it looks like I was) but it usually just hung when trying to boot. My laptop has no problem booting from USB otherwise.

All I needed to do was run syslinux <drive letter>: as noted above! Working fine now.

Thanks !

PaulR

Re: Works!

#14 Post by PaulR »

mleffler wrote: Working fine now.

Thanks !
Great! :D

#15 Post by Guest »

Is there a linux version of this syslinux utility? I'm not a windoze user and am stuck with the same problem that my usb flash drive is not bootable. i was considering partitioning it and installing grub on it but i believe this is destined to fail as different machines are likley to show the flash drive as different devices and so the root=/dev/blah tag will not be correct.

PaulR

#16 Post by PaulR »

Anonymous wrote:Is there a linux version of this syslinux utility? I'm not a windoze user and am stuck with the same problem that my usb flash drive is not bootable. i was considering partitioning it and installing grub on it but i believe this is destined to fail as different machines are likley to show the flash drive as different devices and so the root=/dev/blah tag will not be correct.
Yes see the syslinux homepage.

NewarkShark

#17 Post by NewarkShark »

I'm trying to install Puppy to a compact flash to booot my internet appliance. From puppy burned to CD when executing the setup for compact flash, I get the error syslinux: possibly unsafe /tmp permissions. I go execute syslinux from a DOS box (Win XP) - no error all smooth; yet I still get a "Operating system not found on any device" from my IA.

Someone that has had success after getting this message, please walk through in great detail, please.......

Help..... This is soooo frustrating.......

PaulR

#18 Post by PaulR »

Newshark this is all I did in the end....

1 Make sure the USB stick is FAT16 formatted. If possible use the manufacturers format utility (if there is one) to ensure it is bootable. The one I used (from HP) is further up this thread but on a previous version of Puppy I managed to get it bootable with the software from the maker - 'Disgo', the software is available from their website.

2 Run the 'Install to USB' script from Puppy - ignore the unsafe permissions message.

3 Do syslinux [your Windows drive letter]: from a command prompt

4 Set BIOS to boot from the correct device - mine is USB HDD but some say only USB Zip will work for them. If this is the case I *think* the stick has to be in a zip compatible format - sorry I can't help with that it's a little beyond my technical understanding!

Probably not much help I'm afraid but it's all I have :(

NewarkShark

#19 Post by NewarkShark »

OK - that helped!! The issue was in the format. I used Ranish's PART.EXE to format and set bootable. Did the Puppy script; got the error; ran SYSLINUX. Now, the CF boots (Yahhhhh - progress!!!!) but it cannot find usr_cram.fs not much functionality with that. Next a whole bunch of "No space left on device" errors as it attempts to write files to /root.

then it starts asking me for a password to login.

X doesnt start.........................

So I went back and tried the same routine only this time (SINCE IT BOOTS) I would choose "U"pdate. it re-wrote all the files (including usr_cram.fs).

boot the CF - same identical thing

I'm getting closer but still something is in the way.....