Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Jun 2019, 17:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Is there a cutdown version of OpenOffice ?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
Scoticus

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 14:48    Post subject:  Is there a cutdown version of OpenOffice ?
Subject description: Improve both download and booting times

I only use Writer, Calc and Impress (Impress only when I get a power point attachment) from the suite of applications and wonder if there is a cutdown version available for download. Working with my current version with everything that is included on the disk it comes to a large 300 MB + which takes about 3 minutes to load. I would like if possible to speed matters up and had thought that if there was a cut down Open Office allied to another smaller Pup that I could obtain the best of both worlds.

I hope that there is something that can be done as I would like eventually to also install on a USB drive

Puppy 4.0; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 16:15    Post subject:  

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ChubbyPuppy
klu9

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 21:13    Post subject:  

IIRC, OOo isn't a suite of applications; it's one big application with different interfaces & templates for creating different document types (text docs, spreadsheets, drawing etc).

That said, I haven't tried Chubby Puppy. AFAIK It is possible to do a bit of tweaking to reduce the size a bit.
Bruce B

PostPosted: Thu 27 Dec 2007, 21:27    Post subject:  

One of the reasons I like and use Puppy is I like lean software - minimum fat or bloat.

I use OpenOffice.org 1.1.5, although now considered legacy, it suits my office needs just swell. I also like the html code it writes.

Fully expanded it uses 200 MB, by my way of thinking that's not all that small, but it is a full install. It's also a network install, meaning that one install will service all installed Linuxes on your computer.
Scoticus

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec 2007, 05:45    Post subject: Is there a cutdown version of OpenOffice ?  

Many thanks for your replies.

When I use Open Office on doz I am given the option to load only the components that I wish to work with and it was with this hope that I asked the question. I am not capable of working with the various aspects of Linux and am therefore at the mercy of those who develop Pups and provide sfs etc to enhance matters.

I am currently using Lobsters offering and have more or less got things to a point where I am happy to keep on using it. My only niggle is that it is slow to boot hence the thought of a cutdown Open Office. I feel that having got to a stage where I am more comfortable with Puppy that I do not wish to go backward.

klu9 offers the suggestion of tweaking to reduce the size but as my religion (devout coward) does not permit this I have not attempted to try this route. One problem with even thinking about attempting this is what do I do. I have no idea what is a core item and must be maintained and what I can safely remove.

Like Bruce B I like things clean and uncluttered and it is to that end that I am seeking to go.

Any guidance where I may find information on what is must have within Puppy and how I may safely remove items that I do not want from my current Pup will be appreciated.

Once again thanks for all your assistance
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: