How to force Puppy to not check monitor at boot?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
Vaklin

#1 Post by Vaklin »

Hi
Again need you help.

Sorry... First should to say to you ALL Merry Christmas!

Next trouble. I have bough second hand Xenarc 7000YYV 7" touch screen monitor.

ddcprobe gives me supported modes and nothing more. When X starts it tries to check edid, doesn't get anything reasonable and puts new xorg.conf file on the place of older one. Of course, no fonts patch, no individual setings ... nothing.

How to force xwin to not check the hardware and just use the setings which I have gave?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Vaklin, I don't know the answer to your question. I only want to say that where you first stuck your post made it unlikely anyone would see it, so I moved it to here. :)

Dougal

#3 Post by Dougal »

Vaklin wrote:ddcprobe gives me supported modes and nothing more. When X starts it tries to check edid, doesn't get anything reasonable and puts new xorg.conf file on the place of older one. Of course, no fonts patch, no individual setings ... nothing.

How to force xwin to not check the hardware and just use the setings which I have gave?
The best way would be to take the last line from the bad xorg.conf that's created (the puppyprofile line) add add it at the bottom of your good xorg.conf.
Another way would be to find the part of xwin that looks at the profile and just comment it out.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

cbm

#4 Post by cbm »

I had the same problem with my 8"-touchscreen monitor. Also figureing out the correct modelines ( www.x.org > FAQ) didn't help, puppy 4 always started with a 800x480 resolution. The reason was, that the hsync range was to small in the monitor section of xorg.conf. After extending the range, I could adjust 800x600 and 1024x768 resolution. But do not run xorgwizard again, it will overwrite the changes of hsync and modeline in xorg.conf.