Bluetooth & D-Bus, January 08

Core libraries and systems
Aitch

#31 Post by Aitch »

Beem
Rather than continue under the other thread,
I hope this may shed some further light for you

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=18109

as it seems steevieb, with help from John Doe, has got his phone/bluetooth/gprs working

You have come so far, I didn't mean to be rude or upset you, just trying to help

OK?

Aitch

Edit:

http://www.bluez.org/
Release of bluez-libs-3.30 and bluez-utils-3.30
This release fixes a regression within the D-Bus API and converts all services into plugins now.
http://wiki.bluez.org/

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#32 Post by Béèm »

Aitch,
I don't feel treated rude or I am not upset.
Sorry if you got that impression, in fact I appreciate much your willingness to help.

I just downloaded beta 2 and once installed it could be that I take the matter up again.
As I still use Windows ( :oops: ) and as it works there the priority isn't at the highest point.

But it's still on my to do list. 8)
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Aitch

#33 Post by Aitch »

OK, Cool

I had a bad experience with misunderstandings, & maybe felt a bit uncertain

May just be a language thing

Aitch :)

Cyberhythm

#34 Post by Cyberhythm »

Either there's a problem with the openobex .pet or I've got a sick puppy. The other packages install ok but that one comes up with an error message about a corrupted file or not expanding into its own directory.

Using puppy v4 beta 2 (for about a week now and most impressed with it's performance on this old Toshy sat pro 4600 with only 128mb).

tempestuous

#35 Post by tempestuous »

OpenOBEX package uploaded again, May 3rd 2008.

Cyberhythm

#36 Post by Cyberhythm »

Thanks Tempestuous,

Just gone through the steps again and I now have gpsdrive working using a cheap mikomi usb bluetooth dongle connecting to a navman b10 gps. I am now a happy puppy :) so thanks to you and everyone else who has contributed on this topic.

Caneri

#37 Post by Caneri »

Hi All,

I hope this is the right place to ask a question about Dingo and bluetooth. (yes I know I need to read more)

Do the bluez.pets/bluetooth installer files etc work in Dingo Alpha 5.

I see in lsmod a bluetooth module has loaded by default but so far no joy...and suggestions..thanks.

Best,
Eric

EDIT: I'm trying to get my bluetooth mouse and headset working(when I get a bluetooth headset)
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

eletha

Still having problems with BT and DBUS

#38 Post by eletha »

This is the stage I am at with my Ubuntu bluetooth config:

Code: Select all

@ubuntu1:/var/run/dbus$ sudo rm -f /var/run/dbus/*
[sudo] password for  :
@ubuntu1:/var/run/dbus$ dbus-uuidgen --ensure
@ubuntu1:/var/run/dbus$ dbus-daemon --system
Failed to start message bus: Failed to bind socket "/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket": Permission denied
@ubuntu1:/var/run/dbus$ sudo dbus-daemon --system
@ubuntu1:/var/run/dbus$ modprobe bluetooth
@ubuntu1:/var/run/dbus$ modprobe l2cap
@ubuntu1:/var/run/dbus$ modprobe rfcomm
@ubuntu1:/var/run/dbus$ modprobe hci-usb
@ubuntu1:/var/run/dbus$ hcid -n
hcid[7798]: Bluetooth HCI daemon
hcid[7798]: HCI dev 0 registered
hcid[7799]: Can't init device hci0: Permission denied (13)
hcid[7798]: HCI dev 0 already up
hcid[7798]: Device hci0 has been added
hcid[7800]: Can't set link mode on hci0: Permission denied (13)
hcid[7800]: Can't set link policy on hci0: Permission denied (13)
hcid[7798]: Starting security manager 0
hcid[7798]: Can't write inquiry mode for hci0: Operation not permitted (1)
hcid[7798]: Created local server at unix:abstract=/var/run/dbus-BVnoISlG8C,guid=8a5aabd33609a28fc1307d0048998408
hcid[7798]: Can't create server address file
input[7801]: Bluetooth Input daemon
input[7801]: Registered input manager path:/org/bluez/input
input[7801]: Failed to listen on control channel
serial[7802]: Bluetooth Serial Port daemon
serial[7802]: Registered manager path:/org/bluez/serial
network[7803]: Bluetooth Network daemon
network[7803]: Can't create bridge
network[7803]: Bind failed. Permission denied(13)
hcid[7798]: Got NameOwnerChanged signal for :1.3 which has no listeners
Can someone help me make sense of these errors and how I can explore them/ fix them?

When I normally do hcid -n, it tells me the following:

Jul 28 12:32:11 ubuntu1 hcid[9176]: Bluetooth HCI daemon
Jul 28 12:32:11 ubuntu1 hcid[9176]: Could not become the primary owner of org.bluez
Jul 28 12:32:11 ubuntu1 hcid[9176]: Unable to get on D-Bus
I tried the suggestions listed above and the previous output was shown.

I am also suspecting that the hcid and DBUS session bus are not listening in on the same socket (if that makes sense).

$ dbus-launch
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-KPh3xmCqvf,guid=99a32f2da779f2875fca52004899685b
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=7442
But in (from /etc/dbus-1/session.conf), session dbus listens to

<listen>unix:tmpdir=/tmp</listen>
While Bluetooth (from /var/run/dbus/bluetoothd_address) listens to

unix:abstract=/var/run/dbus-YTFIvIHHn3,guid=7e076046a505b17fa2548b004899667e
And (from /etc/dbus-1/system.conf) the System DBUS listens in on:

<listen>unix:path=/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket</listen>
These are pretty different, but session dbus which is the one i'm probably interacting with is listening to a different directory all together... should i hardcode this to change it to /var/run/dbus?

I've also modified the system.con and session.conf to include system-local.conf that allows user="root" and all active users to own "org.bluez" but to still no avail. I can send the the system.conf and system-local.conf files if you need them, for some reason i can't attach them here...

steevieb

#39 Post by steevieb »

@Caneri
This page is for ArchLinux but there may be some clues in there.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth_Mouse
Do the bluez.pets/bluetooth installer files etc work in Dingo Alpha 5.
Yes. Although I still haven't got a file from the phone. Trying Dingo Alpha5 scsi frugal boot (I have added the tcl/tk files for MUT2 if it makes any difference.)
Dotpets here http://tinyurl.com/62f375

Caneri

#40 Post by Caneri »

Thanks steevieb,

I'll give 'er a go tomorrow.

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#41 Post by Caneri »

@steevieb and All,

Hey..big thanks for the link..it works now.

There was a command to use that finally did the trick....

modprobe bluetooth
modprobe l2cap
modprobe rfcomm
modprobe hci-usb

Then I ran hcitool scan in the console (I had to push the reset button on the mouse while the scan was working as the mouse is not seen without the reset mode flashing).

Then I used hidd --connect (and plugged in the hardware address)..hooray!

Now I just need to make it load automatically at boot and slow down the mouse a tad.

Thanks all for the info..great...I'm wireless..:-)

EDIT: I'm using Dingo Alpha 5 and the .pets from tempestuous from this thread.

Best,
Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#42 Post by Caneri »

Hi All,

I have made a few changes to get the Logitech bluetooth travel mouse to load automatically....it's not elegant but so far it works.

I seem to have to hit the reset button on the mouse for this to work however...I haven't figured that one out yet.

In /etc/rc.d/rc.local I put these lines...

modprobe bluetooth
modprobe hipd
modprobe l2cap
modprobe rfcomm
modprobe hci-usb
hciconfig hci0 up
#hidd --search
#hcitool inq
#hidd --connect "hardware address without the quotes"

This doesn't seem to work properly so I made a script that does work and I put it into /startup....so far so good.

I noticed the mouse dropped the connection after a time of inactivity and hitting the reset seemed to activate it again.

I am attaching the script from my /startup folder so if anyone has a way to activate the mouse without the reset button that would be great. Or any other directions are appreciated.

Thanks all for the howto,
Eric

EDIT: I am using Dingo alpha 5 on a core2 duo lappy and the bluetooth module loads without the modprobe bluetooth in the rc.local..I just had it there from other attempts.
Attachments
logitech-travel-mouse.tar.gz
(209 Bytes) Downloaded 936 times
Chinese Proverb[/color]

chicks

#43 Post by chicks »

So, I followed the instructions at the top of this thread, and got the A2DP profile working from my Puppy laptop to my SoundDock clone via an Insignia bluetooth adapter found on ebay. Great wireless sound!

Built a script and put it in Startup folder, works great. Now, would like to get it working when needed, that is when I plug in the USB Bluetooth dongle. Where would I need to put the scripts to get hotplug working?

Chewi

#44 Post by Chewi »

As you can see from my new signature, I now have a working Bluetooth mouse on my very special machine thanks to your efforts. I hope to add networking soon. I'm still getting to grips with Bluetooth in general but this helped me to understand it a bit better.

Even if Puppy doesn't officially embrace Bluetooth anytime soon, I highly recommend that it at least look at DBus. I think DBus is Linux's unsung hero of the moment. It's doing wonders for making the newest distros easier to use and I think its usage is only set to increase.
Running Puppy 4.00 on a [i]Toshiba Libretto 70CT[/i]. That's a [b]Pentium 120MMX[/b], [b]32MB RAM[/b] machine the size of a [b]VHS cassette[/b]! It works like a charm. I even have [b]wireless[/b] (WPA) and [b]Bluetooth[/b]. :D

Aitch

#45 Post by Aitch »

Hi Chewi

Had to post this, as I just read it, then found your post, so...

http://www.puppylinux.org/community/blo ... of-concept

so if playdayz is right about slowdown, dbus may not be the answer, it appears

Aitch

Chewi

#46 Post by Chewi »

Ah well. I wouldn't have thought DBus was slow, all it does is pass messages around. Maybe it needs some optimising.

Aitch

#47 Post by Aitch »

He He

I would have thought your Libretto to be the perfect testbox for that :wink:

Even beats my IBM 560 @ 223mhz/64mb ram, but makes up for the 'speed' by having no native floppy or CD - & wifi & bluetooth is just greedy :lol:

well done!

Aitch

Chewi

#48 Post by Chewi »

Thanks!

Did a search for "dbus slow" out of interest and got this. It was a while ago though.
Most of the time in FOSS, people try to make the theory work before improving. That's why DBus is still unoptimised and really slow. It's slower than ORBit2/Bonobo !!
I also found this PDF, which does a benchmark. It says DBus is probably slower because it uses text rather than pointers. I knew that but like the author, I didn't expect it to be THAT much slower.
Running Puppy 4.00 on a [i]Toshiba Libretto 70CT[/i]. That's a [b]Pentium 120MMX[/b], [b]32MB RAM[/b] machine the size of a [b]VHS cassette[/b]! It works like a charm. I even have [b]wireless[/b] (WPA) and [b]Bluetooth[/b]. :D

tommy

Bluetooth in Puppy 4.00

#49 Post by tommy »

Hi everybody, I just want to write about my bluetooth experience in Puppy 4.00. Well, I don't need bluetooth at all, but I have an unused TRENDnet bluetooth usb dongle and I wanted to play with it to see the capabilities of tempestuous packages...
I installed the Dbus, the BlueZ, the Obex dotpet packages I found in page 1 of this thread, I edited the passkey in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf (and I found security user was already there instead of security auto), I modprobed all the necessary modules. Then I registered on my phone my bluetooth dongle ( this is the moment where your phone asks you the passkey you wrote in hcid.conf file).
Then I mounted the phone in /mnt/bluetooth with obexfs : this gave me this message:
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directory: No such file or device.

However I could browse my phone directories with Rox and transfer files from the phone to my PuppyPC. I tried to transfer a jpg file from my Pc to my Phone, and Rox gave me an error about something not implemented - failed. The file was successfully transferred to the phone, though!

So what can I say? Bluetooth file transfer in Puppy 4.00 was for me quite easy, and I'm not an expert linux user. But the transfer speed is very slow, I think it's about 10 kB/sec. (will there be a Rutilt-like app (or should I say Pwireless-like?) to see the signal strenght and max speed of bluetooth connections?).

Well, if you need to copy your pictures / videos from the phone to your PC and vice-versa, tempestuous' tutorial and Dotpet packages can help you a lot. Good work! :wink:

John Doe

Re: Bluetooth in Puppy 4.00

#50 Post by John Doe »

tommy wrote:But the transfer speed is very slow, I think it's about 10 kB/sec.
perhaps the difference between 1.x vs 2.x?

great report, thanks for sharing.