Bluetooth & D-Bus, January 08

Core libraries and systems
edoc

#91 Post by edoc »

limberly wrote:What's the difference between Bluetooth and Stereo Bluetooth?
I'm planning on buying a new cell phone, and one of the features is stereo Bluetooth. The phone can also play MP3s, so does this mean I can listen to music through my Bluetooth earpiece?[/url]
No.

You must get a device specifically equipped with the chipset for listening to music - it is kinda dumb but for some reason they have locked-out the freedom to stream mono-audio to regular Bluetooth devices. Sigh.

Most of the devices capable of music get poor reviews for comfort, durability, and/or quality of sound and all appear to be dual-ear (which means unsafe when driving or biking).
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

dogle

Bluetooth

#92 Post by dogle »

I've been trying unsuccessfully to set up Bluetooth in 4.3.1 using tempestuous' .pets as described in this thread. (I'm aware that jemimah has been doing further work in connection with pupeee but gather that Bluetooth wise this is still a work in progress more generally).

Although the said .pets were intended to play happily with 4.x series, with the advent of 4.3 the kernel was upgraded from 2.6.25.16 to 2.6.30.5. With my 4.3.1, the requisite modprobes seem unable to find the requisite kernel modules.

Has anyone been able to use tempestuous' excellent work to kick off Bluetooth after 4.2?

tempestuous

#93 Post by tempestuous »

I haven't used Bluetooth since way back in Puppy 3.x, so I just booted the Puppy 4.3 CD now and I see that these modules are still present:
bluetooth
l2cap
rfcomm

but the hci-usb module is missing.
Google tells me that this module has been replaced in more recent kernels by the btusb module. I have just updated the first post with this information.