usb install:kernel panic:VFS:unable to mount root fs:SOLVED

Booting, installing, newbie
VanAlstine

usb install:kernel panic:VFS:unable to mount root fs:SOLVED

#1 Post by VanAlstine »

Problem Solved: I spent a bit more money and got a higher quality flash drive and the install worked flawlessly and I am writing this from my flash puppy. Very cool. For any Kiwis reading, a DSE flash drive will work (from Dick Smith's) a TwinMos flash drive will not.

I've been trying to boot from my usb flash drive. I installed puppy 1.5 onto my 128mb flash drive using the install script and everything went fine. I've had to use a boot floppy and wakepup comes the closest. Everything loads and all the lines flashing up the screen are normal but the last four lines are:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
VFS: Cannot open root device " or 00:00
please append a correct 'root=" boot option
kernel panic:VFS:unable to mount root fs on 00:00

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! [/b]
Last edited by VanAlstine on Wed 05 Oct 2005, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.
God is Love

n8siv

#2 Post by n8siv »

Make shure your flash drive format is fat 16 .
i tried to use linux format it does not work on usb flash.
the fix is out thier :lol:

VanAlstine

re: fat 16

#3 Post by VanAlstine »

Thanks for your reply.

I've actually formatted it to fat16. I used the partitioner from an old Mandrake CD I had. Could that have anything to do with the problems I'm having?( Are there any other linux partitioners out there that will do fat16?) It wouldn't let me format the drive unless I set mount points. I think I set its mount point as /mnt/windows or something like that. It wouldn't continue unless I did something.

Anyway the flash drive boots up, loads the image to ramdisk, detects all my hardware and then ends with the four lines of my original post.
God is Love