Puppy's gparted NTFS tools version not for Vista

Booting, installing, newbie
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

I've recently discovered that the version of NTFS for Vista is apparently incompatible with the version for Windows 2000. If you're formatting a hard disk, or changing partitions around or whatever, it's important to know which OS you'll be using, and whether the format is the correct one for that OS. If Puppy's partitioning tool is updated for Vista's version of NTFS, the partitioning tool needs to make clear which versions of Windows it is for.

Bruce B

#17 Post by Bruce B »

Mark,

Here's were I'm coming from. I don't have Windows let alone an NTFS. But I did already suspect there were some bugs with resizing Vista. For reasons that elude me people don't seem to want to ruin their Vista installations. If they did I'd stay up all night publishing how to do its.

WayneS' posts showed how to update current versions and previous versions of Puppy so that Vista partitions can be safely resized. This is the first I'd read about this on the forum, and I thought it was deserving of a HOWTO that was destined to become obsolete with newer Puppy releases.

This put me in the position of maintaining the HOWTO - as it is me who can edit it and keep it up to date and accurate.

With this understanding I want to turn your question back on you.

From: can't you use those from dingo? (the pet packages in reference)
To: can we use dingo? (the pet packages in reference)

Please provide just enough feed back for me to update the HOWTO.

Thanks for ALL YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS to Puppy et al.

Bruce

My current plan of action is:

(1) to take personal inventory to determine how I who don't even care what happens to anyone's Windows got myself involved.

(2) To figure out how Flash's post applies

Probably I'll just include all helpful and relevant information in the updated HOWTO.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

Sorry, Bruce. All I know is that when I told Partition Magic to format a partition with the NTFS for Vista, then tried to install Windows 2000, the installer balked until it had reformatted the whole drive. It's been so long since I installed Windows that I may have botched it some other way without realizing it. :lol:

WayneS

#19 Post by WayneS »

Well
It looks like I've been building a Dingo . If these pets do the same job it would sure be great.
Maybe they will put the commands in the right directories too. Right now my NTFS stuff is working but I will give them a try when I have some time and post the results.

Thanks for the list BruceB
Now I can see that the old commands I removed after building the NTFS Tools where
/usr/bin/ntfscat
/usr/bin/ntfscluster
/usr/bin/ntfscmp
/usr/bin/ntfsfix
/usr/bin/ntfsinfo
/usr/bin/ntfsls
/usr/bin/ntfsmount
/usr/sbin/mkntfs
/usr/sbin/ntfsclone
/usr/sbin/ntfscp
/usr/sbin/ntfslabel
/usr/sbin/ntfsresize
/usr/sbin/ntfsundelete

The lib stuff that gparted uses got over written cleanly.

WayneS

#20 Post by WayneS »

To avoid changing the $PATH env varianle I had to
cp /usr/local/sbin/* /usr/local/bin
gparted needed some of the commands in /usr/local/sbin

FYI
I'm currently running ThunderBird on Puppy and using the email files stored on the NTFS Vista Partition. I have ThunderBird installed on Vista also. I can now boot either Vista or Puppy to get my email. The mail directory is around 500 meg. This is a temporary step in switching from Outlook on Vista to Thunderbird on puppy. Vista seems unaware of the puppy chewing at its disk.

WayneS

#21 Post by WayneS »

nsatted both pets as suggested by MU.
They appear to work well on puppy 3.01
Vista is now happy with gparted and the volume mounts and umounts clean.
Took me a while to untangle my puppy but it has survived.

The HowTo is pretty simple now.
Just install the two pets if you want to work with NTFS on Puppy 3.01.

Bruce B

#22 Post by Bruce B »

@Wayne

Just wanted to let you know I'm keeping up on this thread. Just wanted more data

@Flash

Partition Magic?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#23 Post by Flash »

Bruce B wrote:@Flash

Partition Magic?
What can I say? :oops: I bought a copy of Partition Magic 8 before I discovered Puppy. It never gave me any trouble until I tried to install Windows 2000 in a hd that I partitioned with NTFS for Vista, so I kept using it.

Live and learn. :)

Bruce B

#24 Post by Bruce B »

Flash,

I wanted to make sure you meant Partition Magic and it wasn't another utility you meant to say.

My impression is that Symantec bought PowerQuest in order to make some money and let Partition Magic die its own death. Meaning they bought it at version 8 and that's were it is today. (Well maybe 8.05 but you get the drift.) As in no plans to keep it updated and current.

At the time of the take over NTFS existed but Vista didn't.

I supposed I'd use it to delete the NTFS and make it go away forever and ever.

Thanks,

Bruce

WayneS

#25 Post by WayneS »

So I have finished stripping Vista off of my Laptop.
Now Running XP and Puppy . XP in 50 G Partition and Puppy in 100 G.
( Started with Puppy in 1.5 G and Vista in 150 G a few weeks back )
Before I wipped out Vista I resized and Moved the Partitons on my laptop a couple of times using Gparted. ( Vista refused to shrink its own partition to less than 100 G )
The NTFS file system was fine but Vista refused to Boot. Wasted an afternnoon trying to coax it into booting and then reformated and installed XP. I suspect the Vista bootmrg file got moved off the boot sector or something like that.None of the Vista recovery tools could fix it.
I used puppy to move NTFS files back and forth between my USB drive and my laptop. Everything works great now and Puppy has lots of room to grow.