How does the News ticker work?

Using applications, configuring, problems

#16 Post by Guest »

puppian wrote:That happened to me before and I added "&" after the line below (in the files bbcuk, timeworld, etc)

Code: Select all

sed 's/.*<title>//g' | sed 's/<\/title>.*//g' > $OUTPUT
the line becomes:

Code: Select all

sed 's/.*<title>//g' | sed 's/<\/title>.*//g' > $OUTPUT &
And that fix it.
Sorry I remembered it wrong!! :oops: :oops:

Now I remember... I put the "&" there because if I don't do that, people will see nothing (for a few seconds) after clicking the cat button (I guess this only happens for slow connection).
The bar at top left will only appears after the news download has finished. So I added the "&" to put the download process to background, so that people will still see something (the bar showing the 'logo', though the news are still being downloaded.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#17 Post by GuestToo »

I put the "&" there because if I don't do that, people will see nothing (for a few seconds) after clicking the cat button
this method solves that problem:

ticker.app &
wget

the ticker starts immediately, the ticker window appears immediately, and wget can take all the time it needs in the background

puppian

#18 Post by puppian »

You are right.

Both

ticker.app &
wget

And

ticker.app &
sleep 1
wget

works!

I tested it on 1.0.3, dialup connection. I haven't test the whole bugfix as I already have some ticker stuff installed (/root/my-application, /usr, every where :)). I just edited the file 'bbcuk' and that works.

So I think we need more people (esp. those using dialup) to confirm it.

PS. Thanks for discovering that :)
(and thanks for testing it Lobster)
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005