Recomended usb drive size?

Booting, installing, newbie
moXXXXXX

Recomended usb drive size?

#1 Post by moXXXXXX »

hi,
i thought i would buy a USB drive tomorrow and install Puppy Chubby on it. a while back I was reading a forum thread that discussed the "ideal" size for the drive but I can't remember what it was! haha. what is the best USB drive size fit for Puppy? is there a preferred size?
:-)

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

As USB flash drives are cheap I would go for the biggest you can afford, 256M or up for Chubby Puppy.

babbs

#3 Post by babbs »

Before I would offer a recommendation to that question, I'd have to ask what the connection is. Does the computer (or computers) have USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? If the answer is USB 1.1, then I'd recommend 256MB or smaller with the whole thing dedicated to Puppy, but if the answer is USB 2.0, then I would recommend going as large as you can afford. The consideration here is the speed. I have a 1GB thumb drive that I can only stand to use on a computer that has a USB 2.0 port because I seem to wait forever for the 256MB pup001 file to get loaded. --Just my personal findings...

moXXXXXX

both 1.1 and 2.0

#4 Post by moXXXXXX »

is it possible to buy drives that work in both usb 1.1 and 2.0? i am in japan and iti is to get info here as i don't speak japanese. also would most drives handle linux. i am thinking that it's just memory with not much room for difference but perhaps i am wrong? i am looking at a buffaolo clip drive at the moment. any thoughts on these?

keenerd

#5 Post by keenerd »

In theory, all USB flash drives should work on USB 1.1. A year or two ago, you could get drives that only ran on 1.1. These old drives will work on USB 2.0 ports, but at USB 1.1 speeds. The new (2.0) drives will work on 1.1 ports, but at 1.1 speeds.

Speed is pretty much the only difference. 2.0 is something like ten times faster. Big pup file is a pain with a slow USB connection. I'd say get a big flash drive. You can get a 512Mb for $30 (us), and you'll find a use for all that space. If you have a slow USB connection, just don't use the whole drive.

Also, avoid the _really_ cheap flash drives. Sometimes they're cheap for a reason.

In short, just about any drive should work, though you might not be able to boot off of some.

dewdrop

USB Drive

#6 Post by dewdrop »

Hi,

I would vote for a 512meg drive minimum for Chubby Puppy - at 2.0.

Anything less would not be satisfactory in the long run.

dewdrop

babbs

#7 Post by babbs »

I think that all USB devices are now produced in the USB 2.0 format. The point that I'm making is that some computers only have USB 1.1 ports. My desktop's motherboard came with USB 1.1, but I added a PCI card that had 4 USB 2.0 ports in it. My laptop only has USB 1.1 ports on it, but I have been unable to locate a PCMICA card with expansion USB 2.0 ports.

Puppy works with both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0, but for me... transferring the pup001 file through USB 1.1 is painfully slow. If you have a computer with only USB 1.1 ports, the only challenge you will face is with the wait time as Puppy reads/loads pup001 from it, and then again when it does its final write.

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Ian »

Yes, the bootup and shutdown times are slower on a USB device and the difference between 1.1 and 2.0 is significant but compared to other distros and OSs I think Puppy overall is a better solution so there are really no downsides to using it.

moXXXXXX

buffalo clip drive

#9 Post by moXXXXXX »

hi,
i can get a buffalo clip drive here for about 50 dollars. this looks nice and comes in a variety of colors! i am not sure if i can boot of it though. buffalo support in Japan is only offered in Japanese and when i wrote to them they didn't quite get my questions plus, I believe, they tend to stick to what it says on the outside of the box. has anyone had any experience with putting puppy chubby on a buffalo clip drive?
:-)