bootstrap cd

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jim simon

bootstrap cd

#1 Post by jim simon »

I hope it's OK to post a question on this forum branch. I didn't know where to post a question. I have an older laptop with 316Mb of Ram and it doesn't boot USB sticks. Is there a bootstrap CD available that would make it feasible for me to boot up a Portable Puppy on my stick? Or maybe better yet a Virtual Machine with Puppy or maybe another small Linux package that would boot up on it's own native Virtual Machine without having to use a bootstrap CD or Windows as for as that goes? Thank you for your time and any assistance.

darrelljon

#2 Post by darrelljon »

Maybe try Wakepup or Ultimate Boot CD.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

jim simon

wakeup and puppy 3.0.1

#4 Post by jim simon »

To Lobster and darrelljon:
First, Thank You for the response.

My old laptop’s bios cannot boot from my USB stick or my USB external hard drive. It seems like that the Wake-up utility will overcome the problem. I read about it at the link you sent

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/WakePUP

and it says “If you are using Puppy 2.0.x, use WakePup2 which is included on the Puppy2 CD".

My question is: Does the new Puppy 3.0.1 come with WakePup3 included on the CD download? Or should I download an older version like Puppy 2.17.1 that has the WakePup2 included?

Couple of more questions. When I install the burnt CD on my USB external hard drive or USB key, will it wipe out all my other files that I have stored there or should I buy and install on a new stick? Is there a link to guide me on the complete installation?